Thread: OT So how's the weather in your part of MI? OT

OT So how's the weather in your part of MI? OT

So, how's the weather...?

In Lansing it's 55 degrees and a beautiful sunset with clear skies.

How's your neck of the woods?

With jackets coming out, OC on the hip gets harder.
    Last edited by TheQ; 10-21-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Similar here ... rain returns Monday and looks like another grey week...
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Ditto from Erie, a little rain too.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I am glad this has been brought up. My hip holsters basically consist of CC type holsters and one Uncle Mike's paddle holster sans retentions. It is extremely easy to CC now but kinda harder to open carry. I would like suggestions from folks who have been doing it longer.

Thanks folks!
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I am glad this has been brought up. My hip holsters basically consist of CC type holsters and one Uncle Mike's paddle holster sans retentions. It is extremely easy to CC now but kinda harder to open carry. I would like suggestions from folks who have been doing it longer.

Thanks folks!
    Shorter jacket or lower holster.

You could always have a cut made into your jacket. Most jackets have a seam at 3 o'clock. Have a seamstress make a 3-4" cut in the side of the jacket, leaving two flaps
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I usually stick with a waist length, leather, 'flight' style jacket until it gets to the low 30's. Still reasonably comfy, and easily tucks behind the grip.

Still pondering the colder weather; some have advocated a uniform style winter jacket that has a cut out or slot for the weapon, but I wonder whether it might look too 'official' and attract unwanted attention....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I usually stick with a waist length, leather, 'flight' style jacket until it gets to the low 30's. Still reasonably comfy, and easily tucks behind the grip.

Still pondering the colder weather; some have advocated a uniform style winter jacket that has a cut out or slot for the weapon, but I wonder whether it might look too 'official' and attract unwanted attention....
    I have a similar style coat and will have to give it a try, mine is overly warm though. luckily it is still warm-ish!
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Similar here ... rain returns Monday and looks like another grey week...

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Ditto from Erie, a little rain too.
    I saw trash bags on sale at Walmart......

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Somebody had to do it.....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Cut an 8 inch slice on your strong side.
    Hem cut edges.
    Sew on velcro; put a 2in wide by 8 in long piece of the male to the inside of the cut.
    put a 2in wide by 8in long piece of female to the opposing outside of the cut.

When you put your jacket on; open the slit and slide it around your holster. The velcro will close behind it above and below "sealing" the holster in place.
    No chance of your jacket getting in the way or the slice "closing" over your holster complicating your access.

I did this with a 3/4 coat and it works just fine.

JMO

Cool

Well right now it's 77 F with a light wind out of the southwest @ 9mph & the Coyotes are singing their "yay the sun has gone down song!"

Warchild's idea is awesome. Should I ever need a heavy winter coat again I plan to use his advice.

Regards from the MI OC satellite office on the edge of the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

Supposed to hit 80 in Iowa this week.

And I have found that a nice thigh rig works well in the winter! :-)
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Supposed to be high 70's to near 80 all this week.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Supposed to hit 80 in Iowa this week.

And I have found that a nice thigh rig works well in the winter! :-)
    Truth be told, I'm not that much of a rabid OCer to change how I dress. I don't go to lengths to dress around my gun during the winter unless I'm going to an Michigan Open Carry event.

The weather is always good when I am not having headaches.

Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    The weather is always good when I am not having headaches.

Good to see you're still around, friend.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of paddle holsters come apart pretty easily.... you can disconnect the holster portion from the paddle portion and stick some washers in there to make the space in there wider to accommodate your coat. You may need to get longer screws to make this happen.

I like winter... lots of places to hide ur gear in a coat...
    Last edited by HKcarrier; 10-22-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Where I just came back from, Empire, it was very nice. Looked like it would rain on saturday morning, but it didn't. It was just chilly enough to need my carharrt vest, which by the way seems to work very well for keeping me warm in 40+ degrees when combined with a long sleeve shirt, yet it's too short to accidentally conceal. There were enough clouds to keep me from getting sunburned on my 8 and 4 hour hikes.

Today here in ugly old SE Michigan, it's more humid, but the temps seem about the same. But they'll be ball bustingly cold soon enough.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

It's rained on 21 of the past 22 days here Damn lake effect...
    Rand Paul 2016

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post

Thanks folks!
    I use a Fox Tactical/ambidextrious,with thumb break and stage 2 hook and loop retention.Belt loop is hook&loop adjustable so I wear it on my 2.25 hook&loop adjustable duty belt or my 1 inch leather dress belt.All my coats and jackets are short enough to drape behind my holster for total OC,NO Problem! The Fox Tactical can be found in Sportsmans Guide and the duty belt with quick snap buckle at Cheaper Than Dirt.Both about $25 to $30 bucks each.Both fully adjustable.CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    It's rained on 21 of the past 22 days here Damn lake effect...
    I need a bumbershoot that can actually shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I need a bumbershoot that can actually shoot!
    Or a gun not susceptible to rust. Raining again today....better than snow I suppose...
    Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    Or a gun not susceptible to rust. Raining again today....better than snow I suppose...
    That will be next week
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

I have a Blackhawk Serpa Holster with a Paddle and the Paddle fits perfect in my jeans front pocket. This allows for me to open carry while wearing a jacket. It kind of puts my side arm as more of a front arm. But either way I'd rather OC than CC.
    "If you won't stand up for your rights, stand up for mine."

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military." ~ William S. Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Acdrenik View Post
    I have a Blackhawk Serpa Holster with a Paddle and the Paddle fits perfect in my jeans front pocket. This allows for me to open carry while wearing a jacket. It kind of puts my side arm as more of a front arm. But either way I'd rather OC than CC.
    How are you still alive with a holster like?

Back On Topic: My weather is SH!TTY!!!
    Last edited by WilDChilD; 10-31-2012 at 10:55 AM.