• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT So how's the weather in your part of MI? OT

TheQ

So, how's the weather...?

In Lansing it's 55 degrees and a beautiful sunset with clear skies.

How's your neck of the woods?

With jackets coming out, OC on the hip gets harder.

Last edited:

Raggs

I am glad this has been brought up. My hip holsters basically consist of CC type holsters and one Uncle Mike's paddle holster sans retentions. It is extremely easy to CC now but kinda harder to open carry. I would like suggestions from folks who have been doing it longer.

Thanks folks!

TheQ

I am glad this has been brought up. My hip holsters basically consist of CC type holsters and one Uncle Mike's paddle holster sans retentions. It is extremely easy to CC now but kinda harder to open carry. I would like suggestions from folks who have been doing it longer.

Thanks folks!

Shorter jacket or lower holster.

You could always have a cut made into your jacket. Most jackets have a seam at 3 o'clock. Have a seamstress make a 3-4" cut in the side of the jacket, leaving two flaps

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I usually stick with a waist length, leather, 'flight' style jacket until it gets to the low 30's. Still reasonably comfy, and easily tucks behind the grip.

Still pondering the colder weather; some have advocated a uniform style winter jacket that has a cut out or slot for the weapon, but I wonder whether it might look too 'official' and attract unwanted attention....

Raggs

I usually stick with a waist length, leather, 'flight' style jacket until it gets to the low 30's. Still reasonably comfy, and easily tucks behind the grip.

Still pondering the colder weather; some have advocated a uniform style winter jacket that has a cut out or slot for the weapon, but I wonder whether it might look too 'official' and attract unwanted attention....

I have a similar style coat and will have to give it a try, mine is overly warm though. luckily it is still warm-ish!

WARCHILD

Cut an 8 inch slice on your strong side.
Hem cut edges.
Sew on velcro; put a 2in wide by 8 in long piece of the male to the inside of the cut.
put a 2in wide by 8in long piece of female to the opposing outside of the cut.

When you put your jacket on; open the slit and slide it around your holster. The velcro will close behind it above and below "sealing" the holster in place.
No chance of your jacket getting in the way or the slice "closing" over your holster complicating your access.

I did this with a 3/4 coat and it works just fine.

JMO

FreeInAZ

Well right now it's 77 F with a light wind out of the southwest @ 9mph & the Coyotes are singing their "yay the sun has gone down song!"

Warchild's idea is awesome. Should I ever need a heavy winter coat again I plan to use his advice.

Regards from the MI OC satellite office on the edge of the desert. :cool:

Tucker6900

Supposed to hit 80 in Iowa this week.

And I have found that a nice thigh rig works well in the winter! :)

TheQ

Supposed to hit 80 in Iowa this week.

And I have found that a nice thigh rig works well in the winter! :)

Truth be told, I'm not that much of a rabid OCer to change how I dress. I don't go to lengths to dress around my gun during the winter unless I'm going to an Michigan Open Carry event.

HKcarrier

Also, keep in mind that a lot of paddle holsters come apart pretty easily.... you can disconnect the holster portion from the paddle portion and stick some washers in there to make the space in there wider to accommodate your coat. You may need to get longer screws to make this happen.

I like winter... lots of places to hide ur gear in a coat... :D

Last edited:

Michigander

Where I just came back from, Empire, it was very nice. Looked like it would rain on saturday morning, but it didn't. It was just chilly enough to need my carharrt vest, which by the way seems to work very well for keeping me warm in 40+ degrees when combined with a long sleeve shirt, yet it's too short to accidentally conceal. There were enough clouds to keep me from getting sunburned on my 8 and 4 hour hikes.

Today here in ugly old SE Michigan, it's more humid, but the temps seem about the same. But they'll be ball bustingly cold soon enough. :(

Haman J.T.

Thanks folks!
I use a Fox Tactical/ambidextrious,with thumb break and stage 2 hook and loop retention.Belt loop is hook&loop adjustable so I wear it on my 2.25 hook&loop adjustable duty belt or my 1 inch leather dress belt.All my coats and jackets are short enough to drape behind my holster for total OC,NO Problem! The Fox Tactical can be found in Sportsmans Guide and the duty belt with quick snap buckle at Cheaper Than Dirt.Both about $25 to $30 bucks each.Both fully adjustable.CARRY ON!