• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What handgun does everyone recommend?

Shoobee

I doubt that.

Well obviously you would not because you are a traditionalist with your Kimber 45ACP.

But these days the Glocks are the most popular, and the 17 is the most basic of the Glocks as a starter.

I don't personally like any of the glocks. But many many others do.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The Glocks are way superior to any revolvers these days.

These days, the only reason to have a revolver is against grizzly bears, such as the Colt 45/70, or the Smith & Wesson 300,...

I've never heard of those two revolvers.

The biggest advantages that still make revolvers a very viable choice for defensive arms are their simplicity (more so than Glocks) and the fact that they can be safely and reliably used by those with little arm strength for racking the slides of an automatic reliably.

They can also use ammunition of varying power levels with no change in reliability. They can be fired from inside a pocket without a malfunction.

They are not inferior. They are different.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well obviously you would not because you are a traditionalist with your Kimber 45ACP.

But these days the Glocks are the most popular, and the 17 is the most basic of the Glocks as a starter.

I don't personally like any of the glocks. But many many others do.

I don't doubt "many". I doubted "most."

Who are you counting? I know a lot of carriers. Most do not have Glocks. A lot do. Most do not. And you went so far as to recommend which model. I actually can't think of anyone who carries a Glock 17 at the moment.

Last edited:

Shoobee

I don't doubt "many". I doubted "most."

Who are you counting? I know a lot of carriers. Most do not have Glocks. A lot do. Most do not. And you went so far as to recommend which model. I actually can't think of anyone who carries a Glock 17 at the moment.

I took a recent home defense shooting course with our local PD.

Most everyone who came (civilians) had Glocks of one sort or another.

There were a few 1911's and 1911-copy-cats and some cats and dogs of another type.

But "most" were Glocks.

It's a really popular handgun.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...But "most" were Glocks.

It's a really popular handgun.

It most certainly is very popular. I have several myself. But that doesn't make the Glock 17 the most recommended first pistol. MOST agree that it depends on the needs of the individual.

EMNofSeattle

My endorsements are...

Well it depends on what you like and need. So these are the endorsements I would make, your mileage may vary

Full size semi auto: Glock 17 (9x19mm) OR Glock 21 (.45 caliber ACP)
Compact Size Semi auto: Glock 19 (9x19mm) OR glock 30SF (.45 ACP
Small Semi auto: Walther PPK (7.65mm aka .32ACP)
Full Size Revolver: Smith and Wesson Model 10 OR Model 15 (.38 Spl)
Compact Revolver: Smith and Wesson Model 36 (.38spl)

like I said, your mileage may vary, try some different models out and see what you like first...

*EDIT

I personally also have a policy about "non-standard ammo" (primarily .45 GAP, .357 SIG, and in some cases .38 Super. there are a couple of other ones i consider non standard like 9x18mm and .41 magnum.)

except as a novelty I don't like non standard ammo because there is often problems finding it, I can walk in to any walmart in the country and buy 9, 45, 40, .38, .32 etc but ammo like the kinds I listed may or may not be available, and can sometimes (but not always) cost more.

Again this is my personal rule, it's your pistol, buy what you feel suits your needs.

Last edited:

Gil223

Most people in the world do not "choose" a religion however. Most people are indoctrinated and brainwashed by their parents.

This would be just as true in Utah as in Italy or Spain or Mexico or Arabia or China or Japan or Boston or Dallas or anywhere else.

Not knowing "most people", I can never say "most people" with any certainty. I chose my religion several times looking for that "good fit". I finally just quit looking, and started the First Church of Glock. ;) I realize that many people are too weak to go against the beliefs their parents chose for them - they are also those who always vote a straight party ticket. Some folks in my world actually do make their own choices and decisions. Pax...

mpguy

S&W MP .45 guy myself...it's what fits you though. What works for me, might not for you.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not knowing "most people", I can never say "most people" with any certainty. I chose my religion several times looking for that "good fit". I finally just quit looking, and started the First Church of Glock. ;) I realize that many people are too weak to go against the beliefs their parents chose for them - they are also those who always vote a straight party ticket. Some folks in my world actually do make their own choices and decisions. Pax...

Well, "The Gospel According to Gaston" does have a certain alliteration. :)

1245A Defender

Well!!!

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

Taurus will sell you a 1911 style in 38 super for 400.
A 38 special, short barrel for 280.
same in stainless in 357 mag for 320.
All these in the cdnnsports catalog on line.

Other guns, are my Star Modelo Super in 9 largo, a 1911 looking, but different, full size gun, for 190.
they will also shoot 9x23 winchester, and with little dermel relief 38 super, all similar cartridges.
these are at sarcoinc.com on line.
Also they have stars in 9mm nato, several models for 230.
And they will sell a used glock g17 with 2 mags for 350.
Also RAI in 38 super and 45 and double stack, all under 450.
Argentine High Powers,,,(they are single action by the way), or arctus 9mm for just 170.

And to add my favorite recomendation for new comers to the self defense world...
The only gun that you can buy that you wont be able to make a profit on if you sell it in the future...
A brand spanking new... Hi-Point!

By the way the Hi-Point, being the New age Saturday night special,
is not that much different from a glock,,,
or a XDM,,,
or a Raven, Jimines, pheonix...:D:D
By the way ive had a Raven,for 36 years,,, and Ive thought about getting a Hi-Point, just cause I can,,
but I have no plans to get a glock, or a XD...

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

Taurus will sell you a 1911 style in 38 super for 400.
A 38 special, short barrel for 280.
same in stainless in 357 mag for 320.
All these in the cdnnsports catalog on line.

Other guns, are my Star Modelo Super in 9 largo, a 1911 looking, but different, full size gun, for 190.
they will also shoot 9x23 winchester, and with little dermel relief 38 super, all similar cartridges.
these are at sarcoinc.com on line.
Also they have stars in 9mm nato, several models for 230.
And they will sell a used glock g17 with 2 mags for 350.
Also RAI in 38 super and 45 and double stack, all under 450.
Argentine High Powers,,,(they are single action by the way), or arctus 9mm for just 170.

And to add my favorite recomendation for new comers to the self defense world...
The only gun that you can buy that you wont be able to make a profit on if you sell it in the future...
A brand spanking new... Hi-Point!

By the way the Hi-Point, being the New age Saturday night special,
is not that much different from a glock,,,
or a XDM,,,
or a Raven, Jimines, pheonix...:D:D
By the way ive had a Raven,for 36 years,,, and Ive thought about getting a Hi-Point, just cause I can,,
but I have no plans to get a glock, or a XD...

I own a star, I do use 9X23 Winchester cases, but not loaded to those pressures. Shooting 9X23 winchester factory ammo is not a good idea, the gun is made with WW2 steel. There is no need to use 38 super as cases for 9mm Largo are easy to find, as well as 9X23. My carry loads are 1300 fps, and 1100 fps target loads. I would not recommend this gun for everyone because it is slimmer than a 1911, and holsters for 1911 are too loose for the star, unless you have a custom holster made, or use a belt slide holster.

WalkingWolf

The best gun I'd recommend is one you can afford, and that you can shoot well with little to no problems. :)

Welllll that is not necessarily true. As I pointed out with the star it is a very affordable handgun, and they shoot very well. But there are holster problems and limitations on ammo unless one reloads. I bought mine for only $120, and I already was handloading ammo, but if I wanted to carry in a blackhawk serpa that is impossible. If I am not carrying my revolver I carry my 1911 instead, not the Star. I have a leather slide holster that it fits but it has no retention. I used to carry the Star in it when I concealed, which I no longer do.

All the aspects has to be considered, and maybe saving some dollars.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I suppose we could stretch the definition of "shoot well" to include "find ammo, carry, present, use, repeat." Now we can all be happy.

WalkingWolf now has me wanting one of those Stars, too.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I suppose we could stretch the definition of "shoot well" to include "find ammo, carry, present, use, repeat." Now we can all be happy.

WalkingWolf now has me wanting one of those Stars, too.

I like mine, but then there has never been a handgun I didn't like. The holster is the biggest issue with it, one could always use a uncle Mikes nylon holster though. It is not a pretty gun, the grips are well worn and dark, the finish on the gun is worn and brown. But it handles as well as a 1911, and is just as accurate. I need to visit the tack shop, buy some leather, and make a decent holster for it.

Nascar24Glock

Welcome to OCDO. Go to gunshows and local dealers to wrap your hand around as many pistols as you can. Find the ones that fit your hand. If Glock feels good consider Glock, If Glock feels wrong consider something else. (Glocks are fine firearms but I do not like them and am not likely to ever own one because they just feel wrong in my hand.) The options are quite numerous. Find that combination of fit, caliber and capacity that fits how you plan to use the gun. Is it home defense? Is it for carry? Try to shoot the gun you choose before you buy it. After several fine firearms that were not totally to her liking, my wife has decided not to buy any more guns with out first shooting them. I agree with her earned wisdom, nothing beats the experience of shooting it to find whether you like or dislike your gun.

I'll second this statement.

Unlike The Wolfhound, I do like Glocks, mainly Gen 4 Glocks. Unlike The Wolfhound, Gen4 Glocks (with no backstraps added) fit my hand like a custom-tailored glove.

One good way to test gun fit is to do the "blind aim" test (this may not be possible or allowed at gun shows; but, gun shops and friends who will let you borrow some guns may allow it). Put the UNLOADED gun in your holster on your dominant side if you have a holster, or hold the gun in your dominant hand at your side if you don't have a holster. Pick a "target" on the wall about 10 feet away and close your eyes. Draw from the actual or imagined holster and aim it at your selected target. Freeze your hands when you think you've aimed at your target and open your eyes. Look at the sights and see how close your aim is to the target. For me, my Glock 27 will usually be about 4 inches or less off-target. Some, however, report that Glocks tend to aim for them about 2 or 3 feet too high. Repeat this test for each gun. The one that consistently gets the closest to the target is likely the one that will naturally fit you best.

Of course, you need to shoot them too. A couple of weekends ago, I shot several guns a friend had. One of them fit my hand really well but had a rubber grip that rubbed the skin between my thumb and index finger during discharge and left it sore for the next 15 minutes (if I had fired more than a few shots, it would have probably rubbed a blister in).

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I am picking up my first pistol tomorrow and I am unsure of what I want to get. I really like the look of a M9 but I've been told that the weapon system is too heavy.
FIFY

Now, "too heavy" for what? The M9 is a full sized pistol. But weight is in the hands of the beholder. I carry a full sized M1911. Some people claim that is too heavy. But I like it just fine. I also sometimes carry a Makarov PM, which some say is too heavy for a pistol that size. (About the size of a Walther PP.) But I don't mind. For me, it handles just fine. Everyone has different ideas of what the "perfect pistol" is for them. You'll have to find out what works for you.

By the way, have you bought anything yet? What did you get? Inquiring minds want to know. :)