• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What handgun does everyone recommend?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wow, if you don't get a different answer in every single post, then something's weird around here!

Handguns are personal. How they fit in your hand is as important as how they operate.

The M9 is a full-sized handgun, yes, but that's not as big a deal for OC. What's more important is if it fits your hand, including reaching the trigger comfortably when the hammer is down. Remember that it is still the standard service pistol for the US military, so it has a track record of being used by a lot of different people. That said, the military also issues the M11 pistol to those whose hands are not well suited to the size of the M9. The M11 is a Sig Sauer 9mm; these have smaller frame.

Try shooting a lot of different guns. Understand the different action types and manuals-of-arms (how that particular gun works).

The weight of a handgun isn't a big deal with the right belt and holster, for most people. The M9 is still an aluminum frame, so it's not as heavy as it looks.

What I carry is a Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP, usually. But I keep a large variety of different handguns available for students to test and see what they like for themselves. I'm a big fan of Glocks, Sigs, Berettas, and Smith & Wessons. Speaking of the latter, don't rule out revolvers. They are still very acceptable choices for defensive sidearms, and some S&W's on the used market are in the $300 range, so are some new models of the cheaper imports.

I could write another two pages on your question.

EDIT: I can't believe skidmark hasn't welcomed you to the forum yet. Where are his manners?

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My advice would be to hold off on buying the pistol until you have time to research the purchase thoroughly.

If you want to get it right the first time, there is a lot more to it.

Among the things you'll want to consider:

How you will typically carry it: open, concealed, where on your person, etc. For example, an M9 might be a great OC gun in a belt holster or shoulder holster, but its probably a little fat for most folks to CC in an inside-the-waistband holster. If you plan on also CCing the gun, you'll have to take into account how concealable (will it make a big lump under your shirt?) it will be in the summer time. Pretty much everything is concealable under a winter coat; its when May rolls around that you start to realize you might have too much gun for CC for your body shape without resorting to fanny packs that scream "I'm carrying a gun."

How heavy a pistol are you willing to lug around all day? An M9 weighs what loaded? 40oz? Almost as much as a 1911, I'm betting. I assure you, a full-size service pistol gets a little heavy after about the 3rd or 4th hour. Its not the gun itself, its the gun pulling the belt down into your hips. A wide belt doesn't particularly help this because its the bottom edge of the belt that starts digging into you as the weight of the pistol pulls it down. Think about whether that sort of thing will bug you.

Do you want a full-size pistol (5" barrel) or a compact (say, 3"-4" barrel)? Whether and how you might carry concealed may affect this decision.

Budget range?

Caliber preference? For myself, I've always liked the advice to carry the biggest caliber you can comfortably control, meaning you can take it to the range and comfortably shoot 100-200 rounds without your hand hurting from recoil.

Magazine capacity?

Of the candidate guns, which fits your hand most naturally? Is the trigger acceptable? For example, the triggers on most striker-fired guns make me crazy. They feel all mushy compared to say a S&W revolver or 1911. Some people don't mind that at all, though.

There are probably websites from self-defense gun gurus who can give you more things to consider. The main point is that you can find out about these things before the purchase; or, you can find out about them as they come up after you purchased the gun.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A recommendation would require some personal information; like your size, grip strength, any medical concerns that may prohibit a lot of recoil, etc.

And information about how often you would like to shoot (practice costs) etc.

If it comes down to accuracy v. punching power accuracy always triumphs.

It maybe that a 22 is best for you.

Steveboos

Yeah the variables included in answering this question will lead you into crazy-land. I would go to a local gun shop, hold as many different models as you can and try and shoot many different kinds and see what works best for you.

Of course i love my PX4 Storm .45 FS, but that doesn't mean you will. Everyone has such different hand shapes and sizes, it makes it tough to just recommend a "good" gun. Most guns are good, but which one is the BEST for you?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
First off, Welcome to OCDO. I can't believe the other posters have not learned their manners yet.

Be sure to drop in to the Nevada forum and check out all the meet&greet events so you can get to know not only who's who but what's what.

As for your question:

What are you looking for?

What have you tried so far?

Why haven't you tried <X> as well?

What's your budget?

Why do you want <that caliber> as opposed to <some other caliber>?

Who has tried to influence you to get <X> and why?

What do you plan to do with your first handgun (besides the obvious answer of "Open carry it")?

Have you figured out how to comply with the laws and regs on purchasing and/or registering your new handgun? (I never bother to remember who has to get what color cards and who does not 'cause I live where we don't need no stinkin' cards.)

While you answer all of those questions, I'll try and post the rest of the pertinent and necessary ones to be answered before you purchase a handgun. Then you can start in on answering them. Be sure to SHOW YOUR WORK for all answers.

Seriously, back in the days before dinosaurs roamed the Earth and I was young folks got a S&W Model 10, a S&W snubby, or a 1911 because that was pretty much what there was that your grandfather/father/brother/uncle/the guy down the street had. Nobody cared about how or why you were going to use it (well, except they hoped yu would not take up robbing banks) and figured that shooting up a box of shells at some sand pit/quarry was all the training you would ever need. Practice? Why bother - you knew how to pull the trigger, didn't you? And knowing the laws? See the comment about robbing banks - after that it was pretty much all downhill.

Buying your first handgun is almost as bad as buying your first holster - except we all know that you will never pick the right holster the first time. Making the decision about what handgun to buy is harder, and more important, than figuring out which girl you want to marry. Just luike a bad marriage, you may be stuck with your decision for a lot longer than you want to be if things do not turn out right, and it will be costly no matter which relationship you are ending.

Since there are several ranges near you that rent handguns, I hope you go and try out a bunch to see what YOU like. Remember, the guy behind the gun counter wants you to buy whatever gets him the highest commission and/or creates the best story in the break room about the noob who got suckered into buying "that" gun. Also check in to the Nevada forum and see if someone will agree to mentor you through your selection process. Most of them (OK, at least some of them) are good folks.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO, and take your time, research, realize this probably will not be your last handgun purchase. Determine what you can afford, not just the gun but the accessories and the ammunition. There are a huge assortment of handguns available and all will do the job, as long as you can do your part. In the old days a revolver was usually a persons first gun, but that day is long gone, but they are still a good choice. DAO semi autos are now usually the first gun, except for being semi auto they have the same feature as revolvers, a double action trigger pull.

If you plan on CC also size and weight may be a concern, though most semi autos tend to conceal well with the right holster and placement.

The Wolfhound

Added to what the others have said.....

Welcome to OCDO. Go to gunshows and local dealers to wrap your hand around as many pistols as you can. Find the ones that fit your hand. If Glock feels good consider Glock, If Glock feels wrong consider something else. (Glocks are fine firearms but I do not like them and am not likely to ever own one because they just feel wrong in my hand.) The options are quite numerous. Find that combination of fit, caliber and capacity that fits how you plan to use the gun. Is it home defense? Is it for carry? Try to shoot the gun you choose before you buy it. After several fine firearms that were not totally to her liking, my wife has decided not to buy any more guns with out first shooting them. I agree with her earned wisdom, nothing beats the experience of shooting it to find whether you like or dislike your gun.

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO. Go to gunshows and local dealers to wrap your hand around as many pistols as you can. Find the ones that fit your hand. If Glock feels good consider Glock, If Glock feels wrong consider something else. (Glocks are fine firearms but I do not like them and am not likely to ever own one because they just feel wrong in my hand.) The options are quite numerous. Find that combination of fit, caliber and capacity that fits how you plan to use the gun. Is it home defense? Is it for carry? Try to shoot the gun you choose before you buy it. After several fine firearms that were not totally to her liking, my wife has decided not to buy any more guns with out first shooting them. I agree with her earned wisdom, nothing beats the experience of shooting it to find whether you like or dislike your gun.

There is a little problem with the bold, I like every handgun I touch let alone shoot, I would be broke if I bought every one.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My apologies. Please note my edit to Post #2.

Dood, you are cruising for a :p, aren't you.

Well, you aren't going to get a :p out of me. I've got too much restraint to give you a :p.

Also, please note that I never asked if you have stopped kicking your dog.;)

See how much manners I gots?

stay safe.

Gil223

Selecting a handgun is similar to choosing one's religion - if it doesn't fit you, keep on looking. As has been mentioned before in this thread, whatever handgun you buy must fit your hand right properly. If it doesn't fit your hand will never become proficient with it. What do I mean by "fit your hand"? It must feel comfortable... almost as if you were born with that particular hand specifically for the purpose of buying this particular handgun! Ask twenty experienced hand-gunners your question, and you'll get twenty different answers (with a few repeats). You can see what fits me below. :) Pax...

WalkingWolf

Selecting a handgun is similar to choosing one's religion - if it doesn't fit you, keep on looking. As has been mentioned before in this thread, whatever handgun you buy must fit your hand right properly. If it doesn't fit your hand will never become proficient with it. What do I mean by "fit your hand"? It must feel comfortable... almost as if you were born with that particular hand specifically for the purpose of buying this particular handgun! Ask twenty experienced hand-gunners your question, and you'll get twenty different answers (with a few repeats). You can see what fits me below. :) Pax...

IMO a handgun when pointed should fit and give a proper grip. That being a straight line from the bend of the arm to the end of the barrel. The wrist should not be out of this line, as is is with many shooters. This is very important for point shooting, just like pointing a finger.

Gil223

IMO a handgun when pointed should fit and give a proper grip. That being a straight line from the bend of the arm to the end of the barrel. The wrist should not be out of this line, as is is with many shooters. This is very important for point shooting, just like pointing a finger.

No disagreement there. :) Pax...

Shoobee

I am picking up my first pistol tomorrow and I am unsure of what I want to get. I really like the look of a M9 but I've been told that the weapon system is to heavy.

Most people would recommend the Glock 17 as a first pistol.

It is a totally new technology in handguns however and would require training compared to all the classical stuff, like the 1911A1s, or the Browning HighPower type double and single actions in a hammer type pistol.

Shoobee

Most people in the world do not "choose" a religion however. Most people are indoctrinated and brainwashed by their parents.

This would be just as true in Utah as in Italy or Spain or Mexico or Arabia or China or Japan or Boston or Dallas or anywhere else.

Last edited:

Shoobee

Iam a revolver fan,I would recomend a smith and wesson,or Ruger in 357 mag.

The Glocks are way superior to any revolvers these days.

These days, the only reason to have a revolver is against grizzly bears, such as the Colt 45/70, or the Smith & Wesson 300, and if those are too big and painful, the 44 mag or the 357.