Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the deer hunters out there...

For the deer hunters out there...

What is your favorite thing about deer camp? Is it the camaraderie, the food, the smell of gunpowder, etc.?

There is nothing good about deer camp on a Saturday and Sunday during football season.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Are there no deer hunters on this site?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    There are - I know a number of them. It's just that they are very busy right now: scouting, in stands, skinning etc. While seasons are different in the various states, you can be sure that they will be back after the 1st of the year.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Theres a lot I love about it! One of the best things is walking through the woods with a .308 over my shoulder and a 357mag in my hand with my family members by my side! Bow season was great this yearas well! I hope everyone has a great season(s) this year and returns home safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
    Theres a lot I love about it! One of the best things is walking through the woods with a .308 over my shoulder and a 357mag in my hand with my family members by my side! Bow season was great this yearas well! I hope everyone has a great season(s) this year and returns home safe!
    Sounds great to me.

Founder's Club Member
    What do I like about deer camp? Oh, my. There is so much to like:

Rocks, snakes, and poisonous plants to sleep on.

Bears who want to share my provisions.

Damp kindling.

Natural bathroom evironment.

Fellow campers who snore louder than most ATVs at full-throttle.

Rain from a partly-sunny forecast.

Long walks on terrain that mountain goats would have enough sense to avoid.

I can't wait for my next chance to go deer hunting!!
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-23-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I'll try my luck again this weekend.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

My favorite part is that after 20 years of camp, nothing has really changed. It feels exactly like it did when I was 16. We have awesome food, and some of my better friends that I only get to see during hunting.

Of course things do change, this is my new favorite thing!!!! My 10 year old in the youth hunt this year. It's not a trophy but it sure was to him, and I was proud as can be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-06_18-23-52_184.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	9434  

Quote Originally Posted by metalman383 View Post
    It's not a trophy...
    I disagree, that is a trophy! Any hunter should be proud to take that deer. I know I would. I'm glad to see that you've introduced a new hunter to the sport. BTW, what caliber rifle is that? Anyway, keep up the good work metalman383!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    What do I like about deer camp? Oh, my. There is so much to like:

Rocks, snakes, and poisonous plants to sleep on.

Bears who want to share my provisions.

Damp kindling.

Natural bathroom evironment.

Fellow campers who snore louder than most ATVs at full-throttle.

Rain from a partly-sunny forecast.

Long walks on terrain that mountain goats would have enough sense to avoid.

I can't wait for my next chance to go deer hunting!!
    You know, I hear tennis is a nice sport.

metalman383
    My favorite part is that after 20 years of camp, nothing has really changed. It feels exactly like it did when I was 16. We have awesome food, and some of my better friends that I only get to see during hunting.

Of course things do change, this is my new favorite thing!!!! My 10 year old in the youth hunt this year. It's not a trophy but it sure was to him, and I was proud as can be.
    I disagree, that is a trophy! Any hunter should be proud to take that deer. I know I would. I'm glad to see that you've introduced a new hunter to the sport. BTW, what caliber rifle is that? Anyway, keep up the good work metalman383!
    I like both of these replies. I agree, any deer is a trophy, especially when a kid or a first time hunter gets it. I haven't had a chance to fill my tags yet, I'm giving my dad a hand in the woods this year. He's 91 and still hunting. He has slowed down considerably over the past year. His walking has become slower and less steady. He's doing okay though, he has taken a buck and a doe. Hunting is in my blood. I love the tradition. Between my dad and I, we have about 119 years of hunting. That's a lot of coffee on opening day, sighting in rifles, and pesky red squirrels chattering at us from a branch. Oh, and a LOT of backstraps in the frying pan!
    Last edited by hjmoosejaw; 10-24-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    watch your top knot !

That would.be my Rock River Arms. 308

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    Nevermind that the lions would eat them too in a heartbeat.
    If only.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman383 View Post
    That would.be my Rock River Arms. 308
    Sweet!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    You know, I hear tennis is a nice sport.

I was tongue-in-cheek, lads. I'm a camper at heart. My hunting instincts have been buried under scrapping for survival in the psuedo-civilization called northern VA--but they're still there.

Some day I would like to ride horseback fifty or a hundred miles through Idaho or Montana.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I was tongue-in-cheek, lads. I'm a camper at heart. My hunting instincts have been buried under scrapping for survival in the psuedo-civilization called northern VA--but they're still there.

Some day I would like to ride horseback fifty or a hundred miles through Idaho or Montana.
    Facing which way on the horse?

Be not offended - consider Heykȟa.

The Heykȟa symbolize and portray many aspects of the sacred, the Wakȟŋ. Their satire presents important questions by fooling around. They ask difficult questions, and say things others are too afraid to say. By reading between the lines, the audience is able to think about things not usually thought about, or to look at things in a different way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heyoka
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Sounds like fun, except I don't think my a$$ could handle it.

I am proving day, after day, those Evil Black Rifles, actually are for hunting!!

Unfortunately, no archery hunting this year for me......and I'm beginning to see that opening day (firearm) this year is fleeting too!

I am heading out tomorrow to see about tackling some coyotes....heck, I may shoot them too.

It is nice to get out of the rat race and hang out with friends and family.....where you can see all the stars, not just a few. Then heading out to the stand/blind and watching/enjoying nature......then bagging that critter you've waited for for a year.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    What is your favorite thing about deer camp? Is it the camaraderie, the food, the smell of gunpowder, etc.?
    Fresh dead dear ribs roasting over an open flame...

Leaving at oh dark 30 to treck over 3 ridges in the snow to a place no man has gone before,,, could even get lost out there...
    Feeling like a Jerimia Johnson,,,, mountain man, for a day,,,, It feels like WIN!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

No luck this weekend either, will try a different GMU for the late season modern.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    No luck this weekend either, will try a different GMU for the late season modern.
    Probably a lack of rocks to sleep on. It not only ruins the whole deer camp experience, it dulls your edge as a hunter.

I always take along several medium-size rocks to sleep on just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    I too hate deer camp, mostly because of the noise by the other campers, with their generators, kids running around, loud music, and such.

I solve the bathroom problem with my own porta pottie however. Works like a charm.

Rain is normally not a problem during deer season in California because the rainy season does not normally begin before the season is ended.

Since I use a campstove for cooking, a fire is not an issue. Most deer camps are picked clean of firewood anyway, so you would need to buy and bring your own wood if you wanted a campfire. It's better just to go to sleep in your sleeping bag so you can get up before dawn rather than sit up by a campfire. It all depends on how serious you are about hunting.

This year I scouted 3 bucks, but could not get a bead on them. This was in the coastal hills and woodlands of California.

The high mountain inland Sierra woodlands are almost empty of deer here. The herds have been overhunted there, the bucks taken by hunters, the doe's and fawns taken by mountain lions which are a "protected species" here in California because all the hippies and their offspring like them. Nevermind that the lions would eat them too in a heartbeat.
    My deer camp is a 12x14 wood barn,wood stove,bunk bed and a little kitchenet with a propane camp stove. I dont have electric or water so I use oil lanterns and bring water.I am only 50min from where our hunting property is so I dont stay out there all the time. I love being in a tree stand watching the sun rise on a clear cold morning,then to be surprised by the tell tale sound of crunching steps. A buck or a doe,they all are a trophy to me. We try to kill 4 a year but sometimes its less,we see alot more deer than we take. Muzzleloader starts next sat hear in NC and I can hardly sleep. Bow season was again a big zero,but I saw alot of deer,lost a doe till the next day,too warm and she spoiled. We are blessed!!

Probably a lack of rocks to sleep on. It not only ruins the whole deer camp experience, it dulls your edge as a hunter.

I always take along several medium-size rocks to sleep on just in case.
    I pick up the ones thrown at me - they have special meaning. Memories are made of such things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast