• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For the deer hunters out there...

Redbaron007

Unfortunately, no archery hunting this year for me......and I'm beginning to see that opening day (firearm) this year is fleeting too! :(

I am heading out tomorrow to see about tackling some coyotes....heck, I may shoot them too. ;)

It is nice to get out of the rat race and hang out with friends and family.....where you can see all the stars, not just a few. Then heading out to the stand/blind and watching/enjoying nature......then bagging that critter you've waited for for a year.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

What is your favorite thing about deer camp? Is it the camaraderie, the food, the smell of gunpowder, etc.?

Fresh dead dear ribs roasting over an open flame...

Leaving at oh dark 30 to treck over 3 ridges in the snow to a place no man has gone before,,, could even get lost out there...
Feeling like a Jerimia Johnson,,,, mountain man, for a day,,,, It feels like WIN!!!

jbone

No luck this weekend either, will try a different GMU for the late season modern.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No luck this weekend either, will try a different GMU for the late season modern.

Probably a lack of rocks to sleep on. It not only ruins the whole deer camp experience, it dulls your edge as a hunter.

I always take along several medium-size rocks to sleep on just in case.

nobama

I too hate deer camp, mostly because of the noise by the other campers, with their generators, kids running around, loud music, and such.

I solve the bathroom problem with my own porta pottie however. Works like a charm.

Rain is normally not a problem during deer season in California because the rainy season does not normally begin before the season is ended.

Since I use a campstove for cooking, a fire is not an issue. Most deer camps are picked clean of firewood anyway, so you would need to buy and bring your own wood if you wanted a campfire. It's better just to go to sleep in your sleeping bag so you can get up before dawn rather than sit up by a campfire. It all depends on how serious you are about hunting.

This year I scouted 3 bucks, but could not get a bead on them. This was in the coastal hills and woodlands of California.

The high mountain inland Sierra woodlands are almost empty of deer here. The herds have been overhunted there, the bucks taken by hunters, the doe's and fawns taken by mountain lions which are a "protected species" here in California because all the hippies and their offspring like them. Nevermind that the lions would eat them too in a heartbeat.

My deer camp is a 12x14 wood barn,wood stove,bunk bed and a little kitchenet with a propane camp stove. I dont have electric or water so I use oil lanterns and bring water.I am only 50min from where our hunting property is so I dont stay out there all the time. I love being in a tree stand watching the sun rise on a clear cold morning,then to be surprised by the tell tale sound of crunching steps. A buck or a doe,they all are a trophy to me. We try to kill 4 a year but sometimes its less,we see alot more deer than we take. Muzzleloader starts next sat hear in NC and I can hardly sleep. Bow season was again a big zero,but I saw alot of deer,lost a doe till the next day,too warm and she spoiled. We are blessed!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Probably a lack of rocks to sleep on. It not only ruins the whole deer camp experience, it dulls your edge as a hunter.

I always take along several medium-size rocks to sleep on just in case.

I pick up the ones thrown at me - they have special meaning. Memories are made of such things.:p

sudden valley gunner

Just come camp in my Yard. Take as many as you want.........bastards keep destroying anything I try to grow, we practically have full grown herds wandering around.

Behind my house is all state land and east of the I-5.

jbone

Just come camp in my Yard. Take as many as you want.........bastards keep destroying anything I try to grow, we practically have full grown herds wandering around.

Behind my house is all state land and east of the I-5.

Will call on you next year Rob, season closes up tomorrow. Looks like your in GMU 418, not even a late season there, bummer. Thanks.

sudden valley gunner

Will call on you next year Rob, season closes up tomorrow. Looks like your in GMU 418, not even a late season there, bummer. Thanks.

Even though you can't really hunt in my yard, I am about half way up Lookout Mt. And Galbraith is just a hike away. I just talked to a guy who says he just comes this side to hunt has the best luck.

carracer

I pick up the ones thrown at me - they have special meaning. Memories are made of such things.:p

Hmmmm..... Bigfoot feeling a little intrusion into his territory!

I hunted the muzzleloader season and regular rifle here in Id and never saw a deer. I did learn one thing tho... elk really don't like it when you try to pet them like a dog!

Shoobee

Hmmmm..... Bigfoot feeling a little intrusion into his territory!

I hunted the muzzleloader season and regular rifle here in Id and never saw a deer. I did learn one thing tho... elk really don't like it when you try to pet them like a dog!

From what my travelling friends tell me, Colorado & Oregon are the best places to hunt deer and elk in the West.

I had heard that Utah was blythe for deer, but am now surprised to hear that Idaho might also be so.

Many of these western state herds have been decimated or crashed by the droughts out West.

In California, the coastal herds are doing better than the Sierra herds. Probably because there has been more precipitation along the coasts than in the mountains. I saw about two dozen bucks in Zone A this year, but none in the Sierra.

Last edited: