• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For the deer hunters out there...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are - I know a number of them. It's just that they are very busy right now: scouting, in stands, skinning etc. While seasons are different in the various states, you can be sure that they will be back after the 1st of the year.:D

Minnesota

Theres a lot I love about it! One of the best things is walking through the woods with a .308 over my shoulder and a 357mag in my hand with my family members by my side! Bow season was great this yearas well! I hope everyone has a great season(s) this year and returns home safe! :monkey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What do I like about deer camp? Oh, my. There is so much to like:

Rocks, snakes, and poisonous plants to sleep on.

Bears who want to share my provisions.

Damp kindling.

Natural bathroom evironment.

Fellow campers who snore louder than most ATVs at full-throttle.

Rain from a partly-sunny forecast.

Long walks on terrain that mountain goats would have enough sense to avoid.

I can't wait for my next chance to go deer hunting!!

Last edited:

metalman383

My favorite part is that after 20 years of camp, nothing has really changed. It feels exactly like it did when I was 16. We have awesome food, and some of my better friends that I only get to see during hunting.

Of course things do change, this is my new favorite thing!!!! My 10 year old in the youth hunt this year. It's not a trophy but it sure was to him, and I was proud as can be.

Attachments

• 2012-10-06_18-23-52_184.jpg
    2012-10-06_18-23-52_184.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 107

Outdoorsman

Damp kindling.

You know, I hear tennis is a nice sport.

hjmoosejaw

metalman383
My favorite part is that after 20 years of camp, nothing has really changed. It feels exactly like it did when I was 16. We have awesome food, and some of my better friends that I only get to see during hunting.

Of course things do change, this is my new favorite thing!!!! My 10 year old in the youth hunt this year. It's not a trophy but it sure was to him, and I was proud as can be.

I disagree, that is a trophy! Any hunter should be proud to take that deer. I know I would. I'm glad to see that you've introduced a new hunter to the sport. BTW, what caliber rifle is that? Anyway, keep up the good work metalman383!

I like both of these replies. I agree, any deer is a trophy, especially when a kid or a first time hunter gets it. I haven't had a chance to fill my tags yet, I'm giving my dad a hand in the woods this year. He's 91 and still hunting. He has slowed down considerably over the past year. His walking has become slower and less steady. He's doing okay though, he has taken a buck and a doe. Hunting is in my blood. I love the tradition. Between my dad and I, we have about 119 years of hunting. That's a lot of coffee on opening day, sighting in rifles, and pesky red squirrels chattering at us from a branch. Oh, and a LOT of backstraps in the frying pan!

Last edited:

Shoobee

Damp kindling.

I too hate deer camp, mostly because of the noise by the other campers, with their generators, kids running around, loud music, and such.

I solve the bathroom problem with my own porta pottie however. Works like a charm.

Rain is normally not a problem during deer season in California because the rainy season does not normally begin before the season is ended.

Since I use a campstove for cooking, a fire is not an issue. Most deer camps are picked clean of firewood anyway, so you would need to buy and bring your own wood if you wanted a campfire. It's better just to go to sleep in your sleeping bag so you can get up before dawn rather than sit up by a campfire. It all depends on how serious you are about hunting.

This year I scouted 3 bucks, but could not get a bead on them. This was in the coastal hills and woodlands of California.

The high mountain inland Sierra woodlands are almost empty of deer here. The herds have been overhunted there, the bucks taken by hunters, the doe's and fawns taken by mountain lions which are a "protected species" here in California because all the hippies and their offspring like them. Nevermind that the lions would eat them too in a heartbeat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You know, I hear tennis is a nice sport.

:)

I was tongue-in-cheek, lads. I'm a camper at heart. My hunting instincts have been buried under scrapping for survival in the psuedo-civilization called northern VA--but they're still there.

Some day I would like to ride horseback fifty or a hundred miles through Idaho or Montana.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
:)

I was tongue-in-cheek, lads. I'm a camper at heart. My hunting instincts have been buried under scrapping for survival in the psuedo-civilization called northern VA--but they're still there.

Some day I would like to ride horseback fifty or a hundred miles through Idaho or Montana.

Facing which way on the horse?

Be not offended - consider Heyókȟa.

The Heyókȟa symbolize and portray many aspects of the sacred, the Wakȟáŋ. Their satire presents important questions by fooling around. They ask difficult questions, and say things others are too afraid to say. By reading between the lines, the audience is able to think about things not usually thought about, or to look at things in a different way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heyoka