• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wayne State University

Jakeus314

I asked campus security for a detail about OC and CC on campus and this was my reply... How do long existing policies like this even start? I am quite upset by this. Is this not public property, being a public university?

Quote...

Thank you for your email.

Under the WSU Student Code of Conduct, WSU students are prohibited (by University policy) from carrying or possessing any/all types of firearms on the Wayne State University campus. WSU employees are also under the same prohibition, via the WSU Work Place Violence policy. This prohibition applies to both CPL holders as well as "open carry" advocates. Only certified police officers, with valid credentials in their possession, are exempt from this policy.

Under existing Michigan law, WSU Students and staff are free to "conceal carry" (under state statute) or "open carry" (under the Michigan constitution) on any city of Detroit public sidewalk (adjacent to the campus). However, entering onto the campus with a concealed or exposed firearm violates long existing university policy.

Students found in violation of the weapons prohibition of the Student Code of Conduct, face administrative sanctions ranging from Suspension to Expulsion. Faculty and staff found in violation of the weapons prohibition of the Work Place Violence policy, face administrative sanctions ranging from Suspension to Termination.

See section 2.12 (on page 3) and section 4.3 (on page 4) of the Student Code of Conduct, found at the following link:

http://doso.wayne.edu/codeofconduct.pdf

The firearms prohibition (under the student Code of Conduct and the Work Place Violence policy) applies to ALL university properties, including all buildings (including parking structures), open grounds and surface parking lots.

Lt. Dave Scott
Crime Prevention Section
Wayne State University Police
6050 Cass Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202

Raggs

I asked campus security for a detail about OC and CC on campus and this was my reply... How do long existing policies like this even start? I am quite upset by this. Is this not public property, being a public university?

Quote...

Thank you for your email.

Under the WSU Student Code of Conduct, WSU students are prohibited (by University policy) from carrying or possessing any/all types of firearms on the Wayne State University campus. WSU employees are also under the same prohibition, via the WSU Work Place Violence policy. This prohibition applies to both CPL holders as well as "open carry" advocates. Only certified police officers, with valid credentials in their possession, are exempt from this policy.

Under existing Michigan law, WSU Students and staff are free to "conceal carry" (under state statute) or "open carry" (under the Michigan constitution) on any city of Detroit public sidewalk (adjacent to the campus). However, entering onto the campus with a concealed or exposed firearm violates long existing university policy.

Students found in violation of the weapons prohibition of the Student Code of Conduct, face administrative sanctions ranging from Suspension to Expulsion. Faculty and staff found in violation of the weapons prohibition of the Work Place Violence policy, face administrative sanctions ranging from Suspension to Termination.

See section 2.12 (on page 3) and section 4.3 (on page 4) of the Student Code of Conduct, found at the following link:

http://doso.wayne.edu/codeofconduct.pdf

The firearms prohibition (under the student Code of Conduct and the Work Place Violence policy) applies to ALL university properties, including all buildings (including parking structures), open grounds and surface parking lots.

Lt. Dave Scott
Crime Prevention Section
Wayne State University Police
6050 Cass Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202

It is, however as a student they do have a certain amount of leverage over you.

FreeInAZ

Go to the Cass Corridor unarmed? That's like the punch line to a sick joke.

Quoted for truth! Been there on many occasion's in the past for work , even carrying three firearms (1 OC & 2 CC) I felt uneasy. :uhoh:

Not sure why I'm sure DPD has a 30 second response time in the Corridor...

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most academic palaces* are opposed to the presence of firearms because, when you get to the bottom line, the possession of a firearm means you are not dependent on someone else and you have the means to resist any attempt to force you into doing something you might otherwise not agree to do. See Marko Kloos' (not Major Caudill, the plagerizing (*@#^$) essay http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/why-the-gun-is-civilization/ .

Academic palaces have a long history of pushing a particular philosphy/world view and coming down hard on students that do not accept the approved doctrine. They also claim to be places that encourage examination and debate about ideas, but it seems to turn out that they really do not like when the accepted position is challenged. They even say that they fear that the mere presence of a firearm has a "chilling effect" on discussion, and that they fear that should the person with the firearm find themselves not prevailing they would use the firearm to coerce or silence the opposing side. Can you say "projection"? I knew you could.:D

The only way to keep students, faculty and staff in line (just like keeping anybody else in line) is to have power over them to the point that you can control their behavior. As Mr. Kloos so elequently details it,
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

The gun allows one to "demand" that reason be the way to deal with one another.

stay safe.

* Academic "palaces" - because they are where those that think they are the rulers of knowledge reside. They are where those who think they have the "right" answers can be found. They are where folks who believe they are the Princes of education live.