• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Locking case

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Here is my method for air travel, so far smooth as silk.
1. I riveted an aluminum eyelet to the frame of my suitcase.
2. Utilizing the hard plaststic case my firearm came in from the factory I snap a "masterlock" on the handle.
3. use one of my better (brand name) cable locks, to lock my case to the eyelet in my suitcase.

I know the original question was where to find a suitible case, But I thought I would give up some food for thought first.
try:
Big Five
Walmart

JohnMoses

You'll want to use TSA locks on the pistol case. They usually want to open the case for inspection. When I moved out here I flew with my firearms and I did not use TSA approved locks, so they had to come get the keys from me.

Vegassteve

Here is my method for air travel, so far smooth as silk.
1. I riveted an aluminum eyelet to the frame of my suitcase.
2. Utilizing the hard plaststic case my firearm came in from the factory I snap a "masterlock" on the handle.
3. use one of my better (brand name) cable locks, to lock my case to the eyelet in my suitcase.

I know the original question was where to find a suitible case, But I thought I would give up some food for thought first.
try:
Big Five
Walmart

Yep same thing here. Exactly what I do.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You'll want to use TSA locks on the pistol case. .

Negative! Use a TSA lock on the suitcase. Do NOT use a TSA lock on the gun case. TSA regulations require it to be a lock that only YOU can open. If they have to come get you, so be it. Do NOT give them the keys, that is also against the rules. You must maintain possession of the only key(s) at all times.

TSA has the authority to open the suitcase, but they do not have the authority to open the gun case without your presence.

Last edited:

desertborn

Well thanks for the replies. I like the idea of securing my case to my bag as well, it looks like Quartermaster has some pelican cases, (I would use the case the firrarms came in except Beretta sent it to me in a cardboard box), so I will yake a swing by there after work.

mbogo470

You'll want to use TSA locks on the pistol case. They usually want to open the case for inspection. When I moved out here I flew with my firearms and I did not use TSA approved locks, so they had to come get the keys from me.

That is incorrect. The inspection is supposed to take place when you check in and declare the firearm to the airline rep. Depending on the airport, either the airline rep or a police officer will ensure that the gun is unloaded (the airline rep is not supposed to touch the gun).
No one should have a key to the firearm case; you may hand a key to TSA if they insist on ensuring the gun was declared (they will check for the signed declaration tag (which goes inside the firearm case), but you take it back before leaving the TSA area. Do not use TSA locks on the gun case itself.

From the TSA web page regrding traceling with firearms (as of September 24, 2012):
Attention all passengers traveling with firearms. Please note the following:

Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container in or as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

Firearm possession laws vary by state and locality. Travelers should familiarize themselves with state and local firearm laws for each point of travel prior to departure.

Airlines may have additional requirements for traveling with firearms and ammunition. Travelers should also contact the airline regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Also, please note that other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If international travel is planned, check the regulations of the destination country to ensure compliance with their requirements.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

Failure to adhere to the following regulations will preclude passengers from traveling with firearms, ammunitions or firearm parts:

Travelers must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
TSA must resolve all alarms of checked luggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.

mbogo

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I plan on using big Disk locks just to keep them from cutting my .locks

They are not allowed to cut locks on gun cases anyway. They must have you open it if it needs to be opened.

If you are locking the suitcase, they have the authority (and probably the means) to cut any lock. I don't know the Disk lock, though.

Personally, I lock my suitcases with heavy nylon zip ties, and I leave extra zip ties in the suitcase. The few times that they have cut my tie, they use one of my extras to retie it.

Last edited:

desertborn

Very little of the bolt shows on a disk lock so it is very difficult to cut. I usually just take a back pack and no firearms, i think this time ill have to actually use a suitcase lol. Thanks for the zip tie idea

Sabotage70

You also need to check with your airline on whether you can pack your ammo with the firearm.

I flew SW a year ago and they do allow ammo in the same case. I had 3 loaded mags in the case that my XDm40 came in. Note: mags were not in the in gun.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You also need to check with your airline on whether you can pack your ammo with the firearm.

I flew SW a year ago and they do allow ammo in the same case. I had 3 loaded mags in the case that my XDm40 came in. Note: mags were not in the in gun.

Good point. I've heard of some that allow loaded magazines only if the magazines themselves are in a magazine carrier.

desertborn

I believe (and will double check) that southwest doesnt care as long as the rounds are not exposed so if tgere is a cut out you can put the magazine in that. However I have no cutouts so will throw them in my mag holders and load the spare when i get there.