• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reading of the Fallen

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/11/05/2755706/whatcom-county-events-mark-veterans.html

The Whatcom County contingent is mentioned as the sponsors.

• "Reading of the Fallen" begins at noon at Lee Memorial Park, also known as the library lawn, across the street from Bellingham City Hall (210 Lottie St.). It is part of a national effort to read out loud the names of all veterans who have died in conflicts from the birth of the U.S. to the present. Each of the hundreds of reading locations across the country will have about 1,750 names to read.

The local reading is being organized by Whatcom County Open Carry, which needs volunteers for the event. For more information and to volunteer, email readingofthefallen@yahoo.com.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Two additional locations in Washington

We have a splinter group. One in Moses Lake and one in Spokane in addition to Bellingham. If you wish to attend, see below. Volunteer to Read. Let people see you wearing a weapon.

Spokane- 3708 E 57th Ave

Moses Lake-8425 Aspi Blvd

Boomboy007

Ready for the reading.

Okay, I know that most of the Whatcom County Open Carriers are attending the reading. I plan on being there by 11:00am to help set up, unless Sarge needs me there sooner. I will bring a couple of outdoor chairs. Sarge, call me in the morning if you read this before heading out. See you all there!

Vitaeus

kids still sacked out and three hour trip, looks like we will be along once I have fully rested kiddo's. I am estimating about 1 pm or so.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Successful Event

Everything went well. We recited over two thousand names this afternoon at the bellingham site. Eleven hundred more between Moses Lake and Spokane sites Quite a few people wearing weapons. No LEO watchers, like the last event. Pics will be coming soon, it did not happen unless you see pics.

Thanks Vitaus for making the trip. It was great meeting you again and we enjoyed your help.

skyisfalling

Wow, great event.
Thanks MSG for spearheading.
SVG, Boom Boy, Doc. Vitaeus brought his whole family.
We had several local "walk on's" reading names and ringing the bell.

These day, sometimes, it's hard to be proud to be an American.
When patriots get together to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, it rejuvenates my spirit and optimism.
We the people. We will prevail.

Last edited:

skyisfalling

Wow, great event.
Thanks MSG for spearheading.
SVG, Boom Boy, Doc. Vitaeus brought his whole family.
We had several local "walk on's" reading names and ringing the bell.

These day, sometimes, it's hard to be proud to be an American.
When patriots get together to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, it rejuvenates my spirit and optimism.
We the people. We will prevail.

Vitaeus

Was a great event and getting to meet some more forum folks was nice. we also enjoyed shooting the breeze at Rocket Donuts after with folks.

Boomboy007

Sarge does it again!

Well, despite the constant rain and gloomy skies, this event stood out for me like few ever have. As we huddled on the library lawn, each fallen hero's name followed by a crisp, clear bell strike, I watched as those who had attended the concert across the street in the nice, warm building scurry to their cars and drive away. Most glanced in our direction, but few came down to hear. We had two readers taking turns reading a name, and one bell ringer who, with each strike of the mallet, sent a prayer of remembrance skyward. I looked out over the modest seating area, less than half full, and watched the water pool on the unoccupied chairs. I felt a bit sorry for all those involved because there seemed to be so few who cared. Then I realized, with every peal of the bell, another soul was in attendance. Every name we spoke added to the presence on that lawn, and it was almost as if I could feel a certain benevolence settle over the ceremony with every name called.

I really feel compelled to recognize Master Sergeant Laigaie (actually, after seeing him in uniform I realized he is a First Sergeant, though he never felt the need to brag). He has really been the driving force behind a lot of our activities here in Whatcom County, and he has also been tireless in the planning and execution of our public functions. He never does anything halfway, even when the rest of us think that no one would notice. Standing behind him under the rain canopy while he stood outside at the lectern, reading name after name while the rain dripped from his ears and the occasional shiver ran down his legs, I began to see the kind of discipline and dedication required to have lived the life that he has. He is the first to arrive, the last to leave, and most of the preparations are his. He read the first name, he read the last name, and he read everything in between with no relief, no break, not even a sip of water.

For your service to the country; for your service to our community; for your friendship and valuable counsel: Thanks, Sarge.

Of course, no man is an island, and Sarge's wife is also a great friend and patriot. She is a big part of everything that we do here at OC Whatcom county, and she also feeds me more home cooked food than I have had since I left my Mama's house, so many thanks to you, Lori. I know you will be lurking around here eventually.

Of course, the usual suspects all helped set up, take down, and look purty during the event: SuddenValleyGunner, SkyIsFalling, Doc Jeff, and our out of town visitors PSBart and Vitaeus. It was a pleasure attending with you guys, and socializing a bit afterward.

A couple more special mentions: There was one lady who sat in the rain through the entire reading. I did not catch her name, but kudos to her. Also, we had one Korean War vet who volunteered to help ring the bell, and he really did an outstanding job. Thanks, Mr. Troy!

I hope that Spokane and Moses Lake had as affecting a reading as we did.