Thread: Overland Park to consider restrictions on new open carry law

Overland Park to consider restrictions on new open carry law

Posted: Tuesday, 23 October 2012 12:24PM

OP to consider restrictions on new open carry law

Overland Park will consider making some changes to their new open carry law they passed last month.

The city is now looking at adding some regulations to the open carry law. Councilman Jim Hix says they'd like to add "reasonable and frankly, appropriate restrictions", like age, safety courses, and background checks.

Overland Park officials have heard from concealed carry and open carry advocates concerned that there are fewer restrictions on open carry than on concealed carry, Hix said in a statement.

The public safety committee is set to look at the new restrictions during a meeting on November 14th.

Overland Park to consider amendment to open carry

October 23, 2012
    Overland Park, KS – Stricter regulations on the open carry of handguns that would mirror the state of Kansas concealed carry gun law are going to be considered by members of the Overland Park City Council.

Councilmember Jim Hix is asking that on Wednesday, Nov. 14, the City Council’s six-member Public Safety Committee discuss requiring additional regulations for open carry of handguns. The meeting is set for 7 p.m. at the W. Jack Sanders Justice Center, 12401 Foster.

“In general terms, a concealed carry permit requires an applicant to be 21 years of age, a U.S. citizen, and complete an eight-hour weapons safety and training course. It also has restrictions related to criminal history, drug arrests, mental health issues and more,” said Hix.

“Based on the Kansas Attorney General’s 2011 opinion, I believe the city can impose additional, reasonable and frankly, appropriate restrictions on open carry that are similar to those required for concealed carry in the state of Kansas.”

Overland Park officials have heard from concealed carry and open carry advocates concerned that there are fewer restrictions on open carry than on concealed carry, Hix said.

The City Council voted last month to approve an ordinance that brings Overland Park into compliance with Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt’s legal opinion prohibiting cities from banning open carry.

Contact
    Sean Reilly
    913-895-6109
    Sean.Reilly@opkansas.org

bump

Quote Originally Posted by marine0300 View Post
    :SNIP:
    Overland Park officials have heard from concealed carry and open carry advocates concerned that there are fewer restrictions on open carry than on concealed carry, Hix said.

SNIP:
    A case of jealous gun owners yelling if my rights are restricted then we demand you restrict their right too?

Michael

All those CC only folks could OC and enjoy the same liberty as the OCers. Nitwits openly displaying their nitwittery.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO