• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What age is really underage?

travis1911

Hi all, I'm new here to the forum and would like to start off by saying this is one of the most useful resources I've come across as far as all things handguns go.

Earlier this week I was the victim of an attempted homicide/car jacking. Two men cut me off on and off ramp and the passenger revealed an Ar15 and yelled for me to get out of my car. I threw it in reverse and he fired 4-5 rounds at me as I backed up the ramp(only one connected with my vehicle).
I am only 20 years old and have grown up believing you must be 21 to own/or open carry a handgun. After reading through the Ky gun laws you have listed this leads me to believe this age is actually 18. I would like to start carrying in my vehicle and/or open carry for the next few months until my 21st birthday when I can get my conceal license.

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Morbidph8

An AR15? Not that I'm saying it isn't true. I'm just upset, as a law abiding person who pays taxes. Has a clean record, works for a living. I cannot afford to buy a AR15.. Yet some criminal thug, not only has one but commits crimes with it. :banghead: :mad:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Hi all, I'm new here to the forum and would like to start off by saying this is one of the most useful resources I've come across as far as all things handguns go.

Earlier this week I was the victim of an attempted homicide/car jacking. Two men cut me off on and off ramp and the passenger revealed an Ar15 and yelled for me to get out of my car. I threw it in reverse and he fired 4-5 rounds at me as I backed up the ramp(only one connected with my vehicle).
I am only 20 years old and have grown up believing you must be 21 to own/or open carry a handgun. After reading through the Ky gun laws you have listed this leads me to believe this age is actually 18. I would like to start carrying in my vehicle and/or open carry for the next few months until my 21st birthday when I can get my conceal license.

You need to come to the Kentucky sub-forum and ask your questions regarding state law there.

At the top of the KY forum you will see a thread titled "KY law" or something similiar.

You only have to be 18 to own and carry firearms in Kentucky as long as they are carried openly.

You can carry in your vehicle as long as it is in plain-view, or in any factory installed enclosed storage compartment (KRS 527.020).

You can carry concealed if you are on property that you own or lease, or on property of your parents, grandparents, or spouse. Once you are outside of the property bounds, you must uncover and carry openly or you are illegally concealing a weapon (KRS 527.020).

You can buy a handgun from anyone as long as they too are a resident of Kentucky and able to possess it legally.

You CANNOT purchase a handgun or handgun ammunition from a Federally Licensed Dealer (commonly known as an FFL), but you can purchase long-guns and long-gun ammunition from them.

You can carry your firearm nearly anywhere (only places off-limits are K-12 schools, Detention facilities, secure areas of airports and Court of Justice courthouse) and "no firearms" signs do NOT hold the force of law in Kentucky, which means you can ignore them if you wish. If you do enter a private establishment with your firearm and you are asked to leave by management then you must leave, or you chance being arrested for Criminal Trespass (KRS 511.060).

Open carry is allowed in ALL other government buildings except the ones I have listed and cannot be banned. If you are denied for openly carrying in a government building in Kentucky then you need to inform us of it in the KY sub-forum. Kentucky has firearm preemption (KRS 65.870) which prohibits anyone except the State legislature from legislating firearms, ammunition, or components thereof.

Any other questions you have can be answered by reading the top thread in the KY sub-forum or by going to the forum and asking us.

Welcome, and I look forward to having you post with us in the KY forum.

Also, I am searching for a report on your incident. I assume you would have notified police of this, correct? I can't find anything when searching google, or the COJ docket for information.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hmm...new poster...outrageous story...

OP, can you post a police report or news account of your story so we may verify it's veracity?

I will withhold further comment until some proof has been provided...

Shoobee

A handgun isn't going to do you any good against an AR-15.

Better to ram your car into reverse and back away from it all.

Eventually the AR-15 is guaranteed to jam, so if you can get far enough away you should be fine.

Last edited:

Shoobee

An AR15? Not that I'm saying it isn't true. I'm just upset, as a law abiding person who pays taxes. Has a clean record, works for a living. I cannot afford to buy a AR15.. Yet some criminal thug, not only has one but commits crimes with it. :banghead: :mad:

I dont know any self respecting criminals who use AR-15's.

They all use AK-47's usually.

EMNofSeattle

I'm sorry as soon as I read "revealed an AR-15" my first thought was
PacinoHeat2.jpg

Al Pacino is out carjacking people?

I agree this story seems a little intense, surely there's some kind of media story or police report filed on this. ARs are not a popular criminal weapon. especially not on a highway ramp, they'd want few witnesses and would likely use a handgun or SBR/SBS so they could hide the gun with their bodies while taking your car. I'd love to see a police report on this incident.

travis1911

And just like that the new poster has disappeared........my work is done

No, I'm still here nice try though.
I actually work 60 hours a week so playing on the computer isn't a huge priority, I have been contacted by Louisville Metro regarding my incident. The car was recovered abandoned about a week later. As soon as I have the police report I will black out my personal info and gladly share it with the group to prove any doubts you may have inaccurate. I will also attach the photo of the bullet ricochet right above my windshield.
I also find it insulting that someone on here is trying to deter new posters from sharing.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I actually work 60 hours a week so playing on the computer isn't a huge priority, I have been contacted by Louisville Metro regarding my incident. The car was recovered abandoned about a week later. As soon as I have the police report I will black out my personal info and gladly share it with the group to prove any doubts you may have inaccurate. I will also attach the photo of the bullet ricochet right above my windshield.
I also find it insulting that someone on here is trying to deter new posters from sharing.

Well you see we have several times in which posters make extreme claims to stir the pot and then are gone.

We had one guy claim anti-terror agents from a police unit that didn't exist tried to sieze his guns, another person claimed to be repeatedly victimized by the same person over the course of 2 years at 3 different addresses and the police took her gun just because she was a woman and were giving the perpetrator info, I mean there's been some rather wild claims made by people who want to be agents provacatuer.

But if you have a police report regarding this definitely put it up.
and it seems you can legally OC in your car.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

I am not trying to deter new posters. You clearly haven't read enough of my posts. There are have been numerous new posters with outlandish stories that have been quickly debunked. I feel it is reasonable to question such posters. This is in the best interest of the forum in order to maintain it's credibility. If you feel insulted it was not my intention. I would still like to see a police report or a news account, either should be easy to produce. Until such time as such evidence is provided I maintain my original position.

OC for ME

Hmm...new poster...outrageous story...

OP, can you post a police report or news account of your story so we may verify it's veracity?

I will withhold further comment until some proof has been provided...
Obviously the local LEA in your area works overtime to make police reports available to OCDO forum members in a timely manner.

I am not trying to deter new posters. (Perception is reality to some.)

You clearly haven't read enough of my posts. (Irrelevant. The OP has no duty to read your posts. Why should he read any of your posts from this point forward?)

There are have been numerous new posters with outlandish stories that have been quickly debunked. (Irrelevant to the OP and his basic question.)

I feel it is reasonable to question such posters. This is in the best interest of the forum in order to maintain it's credibility. (OCDO has a slew of folks dedicated to maintaining OCDO's credibility. It is not your/my job to 'police' other members, it is our job to police ourselves.)

If you feel insulted it was not my intention. (Really? "....my work is done")

I would still like to see a police report or a news account, either should be easy to produce. (Reiteration. If the OP returns and posts the 'evidence' I will recommend that he learn about OCDO's ignore function and give it a early try.....wait, I think I just did. If the evidence is not produced then this will be a short thread.)

Until such time as such evidence is provided I maintain my original position.(OK)

I too await further information from the OP. Veracity of the OP's story notwithstanding, the OP's question was answered by KYGlockster.

travis1911 welcome to OCDO.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Upon talking with another forum member I realize that my comments may have come across as rude, cocky, and unwelcoming. My uncertainy regarding the veracity of the OP's story is no excuse for poor manners.

To Travis1911, I humbly apologize for any comments I made that made have offended you. I should have welcomed to to OCDO first and then requested confirmation. I believe you deserve the opportunity to present information to verify your encounter before I jump in and try to shut you down. I sincerely hope that you continue to post with us here at OCDO.

ncwabbit

travis, welcome to the forum...as to providing jpolice reports or other such evidence to validate your story...eh!!

somewhere and somehow these forum blokes have to learn trust as they as they are doubting thomases of Bibical preportions...

wabbit

Last edited:

travis1911

Update: I was contacted today by a detective from Louisville Metro's 3rd division. They have located the stolen car, and made four arrests related to my case. I don't know any specifics other than that. I sent another email to the LEO that responded that night inquiring about the police report as my insurance agency wants to see it almost as bad as some of you. :lol:

bunnspecial

I'll be following this thread with great interest, as I spend more time than I'd care to in Louisville(fortunately the state supreme court did say this past spring that I can at least be armed in my car at U of L, my primary destination there).

If you can and don't mind to, would you share where in town this incident took place?