• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What age is really underage?

travis1911

I'll be following this thread with great interest, as I spend more time than I'd care to in Louisville(fortunately the state supreme court did say this past spring that I can at least be armed in my car at U of L, my primary destination there).

If you can and don't mind to, would you share where in town this incident took place?

This took place in Fairdale. Which is the south-end of Louisville. Gene Snyder West at National Turnpike is the off ramp I am referring to.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm sorry as soon as I read "revealed an AR-15" my first thought was
PacinoHeat2.jpg

Isn't that an FNC?

Sorry, I had to say something because it makes it easier to tag this thread for updates...

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I'll be following this thread with great interest, as I spend more time than I'd care to in Louisville(fortunately the state supreme court did say this past spring that I can at least be armed in my car at U of L, my primary destination there).

If you can and don't mind to, would you share where in town this incident took place?

You can be armed at all times while on the campus. It is NOT illegal to carry your firearm on post-secondary school property, but KRS 237.115 gives post-secondary institutions the authority to "control" the possession of weapons on property they control. This means if they decide to ban firearms on campus, that it is not a criminal act to disregard that ban. If you are found to be in possession of a firearm the school can sanction you or terminate your enrollment. If you have a CDWL and carry concealed it should not be of concern (concealed means concealed in this situation).

I also understand that one cannot obtain a CDWL until they are 21 in Kentucky, so it makes it hard to keep a firearm on your person while at school (can't hide a firearm in plain sight). If you can get a non-resident permit from another state that issues to anyone over the age of 18 (maybe Utah or Florida?) then you could carry concealed in Kentucky on that permit/license. You can carry concealed in Kentucky at 18, but you can't get a Kentucky CDWL until you reach 21.

I carry in an IWB Comp-Tac Minatour with a Glock 23; any IWB with a loose fitting shirt does an outstanding job of concealing most handguns.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

You can be armed at all times while on the campus. It is NOT illegal to carry your firearm on post-secondary school property, but KRS 237.115 gives post-secondary institutions the authority to "control" the possession of weapons on property they control. This means if they decide to ban firearms on campus, that it is not a criminal act to disregard that ban. If you are found to be in possession of a firearm the school can sanction you or terminate your enrollment. If you have a CDWL and carry concealed it should not be of concern (concealed means concealed in this situation).

I am in much the same position as Mitchell was in Mitchell v. UK-I am a full time graduate student and also an employee.

I do have a CCDW, but don't and have never carried on campus. As this is my only source of income at the moment, I'm not really in a position to push any buttons although in general I agree that concealed means concealed.

I'm just glad that Mitchell v. UK determined that we can't be sanctioned for keeping weapons in our vehicles! Interestingly enough, both the U of L employee and student handbooks still state that weapons can not be kept in private vehicles parked on university property, and that violating this can be grounds for termination/expulsion.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I also understand that one cannot obtain a CDWL until they are 21 in Kentucky, ... If you can get a non-resident permit from another state that issues to anyone over the age of 18 (maybe Utah or Florida?) then you could carry concealed in Kentucky on that permit/license. You can carry concealed in Kentucky at 18, but you can't get a Kentucky CDWL until you reach 21...

Not UT or FL. You need to be 21 for those.

But ME seems to issue at 18, and while not as versatile for travel as a UT or FL, it is recognized in KY.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Well, I'll be damned. I have just shoved my foot into my mouth, my apologies for my earlier doubt. I think you're the first person to actually back up their story with proof. That's scary stuff brother. Should have known the criminals were too cheap to use a "real" AR-15. Glad you came out ok. Thanks for posting the police report.

Any word from the police on where they stand with the investigation? Any way we can help?

EMNofSeattle

Well, I'll be damned. I have just shoved my foot into my mouth, my apologies for my earlier doubt. I think you're the first person to actually back up their story with proof. That's scary stuff brother. Should have known the criminals were too cheap to use a "real" AR-15. Glad you came out ok. Thanks for posting the police report.

Any word from the police on where they stand with the investigation? Any way we can help?

This is the first time I've seen a claim like this be backed up.

My full apologies for earlier doubt of you.

"recovered 6 .22 caliber shells at the scene" well it least he wasn't using actual 5.56 NATO or that would ruin someone's day. that woulda punched a hole in the car....

travis1911

It actually took me calling the detective to get the report but they finally came through. Which is good because my car was starting to show signs of rust where it was hit.
They let me know they made four arrests related to my case but no one has been charged with anything yet.
Also I finally decided on the Taurus PT1911 AL as the sidearm to keep in my vehicle just in case. Everybody has questioned me on choosing a .45, but none of them have had a gun of any caliber fired in their direction with intent. It definitely changes things. If I'm ever put in that situation again(which is highly unlikely) they won't get off that easily.
Thanks for the support and ill definitely keep you guys updated if I receive anymore information.

moonie

Do keep in mind that the 5.56 NATO and .223 are .22 caliber shells. The ".22 caliber shells" did not indicate 22 LR or .223 or 5.56.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Also I finally decided on the Taurus PT1911 AL as the sidearm to keep in my vehicle just in case. Everybody has questioned me on choosing a .45, but none of them have had a gun of any caliber fired in their direction with intent. It definitely changes things. If I'm ever put in that situation again(which is highly unlikely) they won't get off that easily.
Thanks for the support and ill definitely keep you guys updated if I receive anymore information.

Good choice on the .45, I also chose a .45 as my first pistol (Springfield XD). The Taurus 1911 is also a great gun. It was the first 1911 that I bought and it has remained completely reliable hurndreds or rounds later.

MikeTheGreek

****. Reminds me of when some guy came into my shop with an AK-47 knockoff, pointed his rifle at me and started shooting a few months ago. My main reason for buying my gun and OCing. Although this was all over the news.

Only in Detroit :cuss: