Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target stores

Target stores

Does anyone have any letters or emails from target on whether they allow or don't allow guns?

Banned

Target stores

I was stopped by the police at the Target in Montgomery, AL. They tried to trespass me when they couldn't get me on a gun charge. The manager contacted corporate and was told in no uncertain terms NOT to trespass me. My gun and I were welcome.

The recording of the stop is on the Internet. There is a thread in the Alabama on the encounter and it has a link to the audio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I have had no issues with the one here in Kentucky when I go there. But I do not go there much. I use to have a friend who worked security there and he said they had no problem with it. It has been about 6 months though since I have been in there.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

I was in the Target store in Fond Du Lac last week. There were no no gun signs in the entrance. I check everywhere I go and saw none.

I currently work for Target, I can't remember what their policy was for customers carrying. But I remember the training material basically saying that if you see someone with a gun, don't approach them, run away and hide or something along those lines. Srsly.

Founder's Club Member
    We did confirm some years ago that Target had a no guns policy for customers. But, that was something on the order of 4-5 years ago. It may have changed.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I was asked to leave a Target a couple of years ago because of "mall policy". Since then, I've shopped at their stand-alone stores here in Virginia with no issues.

I wouldn't go asking if corporate policy has changed. If there's documentation showing corporate policy is to follow state laws, we don't want that to change.

Banned

Target stores

I don't know how to make this an any clearer answer to the OP's question.

1. I was stopped by the police for OC in a Target.
    2. The police asked the store manager to trespass me.
    3. The store manager called corporate.
    4. Corporate's answer amounted to "Don't you dare!"*

It is absolutely clear that Target allows carry, even OC, where lawful. Period.

<o>

On edit: *This is why I am convinced that corporate policy is to allow carry and that stores who do not allow carry are going against policy. The manager called corporate and had to tell the officers on the scene that he could not trespass me for openly carrying a firearm in the Target store.
    Last edited by eye95; 10-24-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I don't know how to make this an any clearer answer to the OP's question.

1. I was stopped by the police for OC in a Target.
    2. The police asked the store manager to trespass me.
    3. The store manager called corporate.
    4. Corporate's answer amounted to "Don't you dare!"

It is absolutely clear that Target allows carry, even OC, where lawful. Period.

<o>
    You could make it clearer by posting evidence to back up your incident.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Thanks everyone for the updates. I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    You could make it clearer by posting evidence to back up your incident.
    +1
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    +1
    I frankly don't care whether SVG believes me or not. He has long since been on my not-worth-reading (aka ignore) list.

However, for you and others who might be curious, I posted a thread when the incident happened. There is a partial summary of the recording in the thread. I have bumped it so it will be easy to find in the Alabama section and have added a link to the audio to the last post.

I carry in our local Target all the time, never been a problem, their security is well aware as I've seen them check me out a few times, but never an issue.
    We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

Thomas Jefferson

Re: Target stores

I'll jump on the "me too" bandwagon: I OC at the Target stores in the Milwaukee area frequently and have never had an issue.

I don't open carry, but I've never seen one in NE Ohio that banned concealed carry.

I go to the one near my house armed all of the time.

So no, they don't have a blanket "no guns" policy.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Good recording...you handled it well.
    Last edited by carolina guy; 10-24-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I don't open carry, but I've never seen one in NE Ohio that banned concealed carry.

I go to the one near my house armed all of the time.

So no, they don't have a blanket "no guns" policy.
    I suspect that store is going against corporate policy. Have you contacted corporate regarding that store.

BTW, Alabama had a state-wide meeting in the Starbuck's inside the Target in Prattville, about a dozen folks, all OCing in that Target.

Founder's Club Member
    I suspect that store is going against corporate policy. Have you contacted corporate regarding that store.

BTW, Alabama had a state-wide meeting in the Starbuck's inside the Target in Prattville, about a dozen folks, all OCing in that Target.
    This is one of the reasons I think Eye is [incorrect in how he approaches these issues]

A few posts above he insults a few readers by saying "I don't know how to make this any clearer..." regarding a single store that didn't trespass him. Like some of us are stupid for not accepting his earlier report about his store as representing nationwide corporate policy.

And, in this post he suspects another store is going against corporate policy...

Meaning, he's never seen the nationwide corporate policy. And, has no documentation to back it up. We're supposed to take his word for it.

EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR TO REMOVE PERSONAL ATTACK
    Last edited by John Pierce; 10-24-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I don't go to Target, I don't like red.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Founder's Club Member
    In the absence of written policy, we generally recommend "don't ask, don't tell." Just carry normally.

Regarding businesses with unknown policies, you do want to consider whether you want to risk being trespassed. Its pretty rare--most just ask you to leave. But, it does come up every once in a great while.

Can you be trespassed without knowing you are trespassing? That is a new one on me. I thought a "property owner" had to ask you to leave and you then refuse to leave.

I'm pretty sure that every Target store does not have a No Trespassing sign posted on their property during business hours.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Can you be trespassed without knowing you are trespassing? That is a new one on me. I thought a "property owner" had to ask you to leave and you then refuse to leave.

I'm pretty sure that every Target store does not have a No Trespassing sign posted on their property during business hours.
    I think in the retail world the term refers more to being identified down to name and address so a letter of notification can be sent telling you that you are forbidden to come into the store and that the next time you come in the store you will be arrested for trespass.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-24-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    This is one of the reasons I think Eye is [incorrect in how he approaches these issues]

A few posts above he insults a few readers by saying "I don't know how to make this any clearer..." regarding a single store that didn't trespass him. Like some of us are stupid for not accepting his earlier report about his store as representing nationwide corporate policy.

And, in this post he suspects another store is going against corporate policy...

Meaning, he's never seen the nationwide corporate policy. And, has no documentation to back it up. We're supposed to take his word for it.

EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR TO REMOVE PERSONAL ATTACK

Dear John,

Are you planning to re-write Eye's insult in post #10 above? A little evenhandedness here would be nice.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-24-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Banned

Target stores

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

I cannot speak to how it works elsewhere, but in the situation at Target in Montgomery, "being trespassed" referred to an official notification for the officers on the scene that I must leave and may never return. If I were to refuse to leave, or if I returned, then I could be charged with trespassing, having already been "trespassed."

As I said, though, the manager called corporate and was explicitly told that he could not trespass me for open carry, much to the dismay of the officers whom I had to inform that they could not trespass me without Target requesting such.

<o>

I frankly don't care whether SVG believes me or not. He has long since been on my not-worth-reading (aka ignore) list.

However, for you and others who might be curious, I posted a thread when the incident happened. There is a partial summary of the recording in the thread. I have bumped it so it will be easy to find in the Alabama section and have added a link to the audio to the last post.
    A quick copy/paste would be great. As much effort as you put into actually typing out a post. Its generally considered polite to make things easy to follow and understand for the readers of your posts, especially if you have something you are trying to point out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast