• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target stores

eye95

I was stopped by the police at the Target in Montgomery, AL. They tried to trespass me when they couldn't get me on a gun charge. The manager contacted corporate and was told in no uncertain terms NOT to trespass me. My gun and I were welcome.

The recording of the stop is on the Internet. There is a thread in the Alabama on the encounter and it has a link to the audio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

KYKevin

I have had no issues with the one here in Kentucky when I go there. But I do not go there much. I use to have a friend who worked security there and he said they had no problem with it. It has been about 6 months though since I have been in there.

Jack House

I currently work for Target, I can't remember what their policy was for customers carrying. But I remember the training material basically saying that if you see someone with a gun, don't approach them, run away and hide or something along those lines. Srsly.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
We did confirm some years ago that Target had a no guns policy for customers. But, that was something on the order of 4-5 years ago. It may have changed.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I was asked to leave a Target a couple of years ago because of "mall policy". Since then, I've shopped at their stand-alone stores here in Virginia with no issues.

I wouldn't go asking if corporate policy has changed. If there's documentation showing corporate policy is to follow state laws, we don't want that to change.

eye95

I don't know how to make this an any clearer answer to the OP's question.

1. I was stopped by the police for OC in a Target.
2. The police asked the store manager to trespass me.
3. The store manager called corporate.
4. Corporate's answer amounted to "Don't you dare!"*

It is absolutely clear that Target allows carry, even OC, where lawful. Period.

<o>

On edit: *This is why I am convinced that corporate policy is to allow carry and that stores who do not allow carry are going against policy. The manager called corporate and had to tell the officers on the scene that he could not trespass me for openly carrying a firearm in the Target store.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I don't know how to make this an any clearer answer to the OP's question.

1. I was stopped by the police for OC in a Target.
2. The police asked the store manager to trespass me.
3. The store manager called corporate.
4. Corporate's answer amounted to "Don't you dare!"

It is absolutely clear that Target allows carry, even OC, where lawful. Period.

<o>

You could make it clearer by posting evidence to back up your incident.

eye95

I frankly don't care whether SVG believes me or not. He has long since been on my not-worth-reading (aka ignore) list.

However, for you and others who might be curious, I posted a thread when the incident happened. There is a partial summary of the recording in the thread. I have bumped it so it will be easy to find in the Alabama section and have added a link to the audio to the last post.

moonie

I carry in our local Target all the time, never been a problem, their security is well aware as I've seen them check me out a few times, but never an issue.

NoTolerance

I'll jump on the "me too" bandwagon: I OC at the Target stores in the Milwaukee area frequently and have never had an issue.

Deanimator

I don't open carry, but I've never seen one in NE Ohio that banned concealed carry.

I go to the one near my house armed all of the time.

So no, they don't have a blanket "no guns" policy.

eye95

I don't open carry, but I've never seen one in NE Ohio that banned concealed carry.

I go to the one near my house armed all of the time.

So no, they don't have a blanket "no guns" policy.

I suspect that store is going against corporate policy. Have you contacted corporate regarding that store.

BTW, Alabama had a state-wide meeting in the Starbuck's inside the Target in Prattville, about a dozen folks, all OCing in that Target.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I suspect that store is going against corporate policy. Have you contacted corporate regarding that store.

BTW, Alabama had a state-wide meeting in the Starbuck's inside the Target in Prattville, about a dozen folks, all OCing in that Target.

This is one of the reasons I think Eye is [incorrect in how he approaches these issues]

A few posts above he insults a few readers by saying "I don't know how to make this any clearer..." regarding a single store that didn't trespass him. Like some of us are stupid for not accepting his earlier report about his store as representing nationwide corporate policy.

And, in this post he suspects another store is going against corporate policy...

Meaning, he's never seen the nationwide corporate policy. And, has no documentation to back it up. We're supposed to take his word for it.

EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR TO REMOVE PERSONAL ATTACK

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
In the absence of written policy, we generally recommend "don't ask, don't tell." Just carry normally.

Regarding businesses with unknown policies, you do want to consider whether you want to risk being trespassed. Its pretty rare--most just ask you to leave. But, it does come up every once in a great while.