• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target stores

OC for ME

Can you be trespassed without knowing you are trespassing? That is a new one on me. I thought a "property owner" had to ask you to leave and you then refuse to leave.

I'm pretty sure that every Target store does not have a No Trespassing sign posted on their property during business hours.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Can you be trespassed without knowing you are trespassing? That is a new one on me. I thought a "property owner" had to ask you to leave and you then refuse to leave.

I'm pretty sure that every Target store does not have a No Trespassing sign posted on their property during business hours.

I think in the retail world the term refers more to being identified down to name and address so a letter of notification can be sent telling you that you are forbidden to come into the store and that the next time you come in the store you will be arrested for trespass.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This is one of the reasons I think Eye is [incorrect in how he approaches these issues]

A few posts above he insults a few readers by saying "I don't know how to make this any clearer..." regarding a single store that didn't trespass him. Like some of us are stupid for not accepting his earlier report about his store as representing nationwide corporate policy.

And, in this post he suspects another store is going against corporate policy...

Meaning, he's never seen the nationwide corporate policy. And, has no documentation to back it up. We're supposed to take his word for it.

EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR TO REMOVE PERSONAL ATTACK

Dear John,

Are you planning to re-write Eye's insult in post #10 above? A little evenhandedness here would be nice.

Last edited:

eye95

I cannot speak to how it works elsewhere, but in the situation at Target in Montgomery, "being trespassed" referred to an official notification for the officers on the scene that I must leave and may never return. If I were to refuse to leave, or if I returned, then I could be charged with trespassing, having already been "trespassed."

As I said, though, the manager called corporate and was explicitly told that he could not trespass me for open carry, much to the dismay of the officers whom I had to inform that they could not trespass me without Target requesting such.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

VW_Factor

I frankly don't care whether SVG believes me or not. He has long since been on my not-worth-reading (aka ignore) list.

However, for you and others who might be curious, I posted a thread when the incident happened. There is a partial summary of the recording in the thread. I have bumped it so it will be easy to find in the Alabama section and have added a link to the audio to the last post.

A quick copy/paste would be great. As much effort as you put into actually typing out a post. Its generally considered polite to make things easy to follow and understand for the readers of your posts, especially if you have something you are trying to point out.

eye95

My goal was not to rehash the incident here, so please go to the thread in the Alabama section. Again, I have bumped the thread and added a link to the audio.

I so don't want to talk about this in this thread anymore that I won't even respond to further demands in this thread for links. It's in the Alabama section, right on top, go there--as others have found so easy to do. Have a nice day.

<o>

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Dear John,

Are you planning to re-write Eye's insult in post #10 above? A little evenhandedness here would be nice.

I will be glad to do so. But Post #10 is from Brandon9MM. What should I be looking for?

John

Freedom1Man

Dear ***********,

Thanks for taking the time to ask us about Target's gun policy.

Target complies with all laws in the states and communities where we do business. Because laws pertaining to guns vary by state and even city, we ask that you contact the Store Team Leader, or Executive Team Lead for Asset Protection at the store where you shop. They know the laws in their community the best.

We look forward to showing you what's new at Target.

Sincerely,

Kaycee

Target Guest Relations

www.target.com

(800) 440-0680
[THREAD ID:3-DXUPD0]
----------------------------

Now please let this settle the issue.

outoforder

I think in the retail world the term refers more to being identified down to name and address so a letter of notification can be sent telling you that you are forbidden to come into the store and that the next time you come in the store you will be arrested for trespass.

You are correct. Any time I ban someone from my location. I usually have to have my corporate office mail a letter to that person stating they are no longer welcomed to whatever reasons they are no longer allowed there. It usually has to come from a corporation. I'm sure most LEO's will enforce this as I know in St Charles County Missouri. This is how the law works.

OC for ME

I get the "don't come back" part. But what no one has answered is the first instance question. Can you be trespassed without your knowledge?

Example:

The store manager says "get out," but he does not say stay out on the first instance. You go back in the store the next day because the manager did not unequivocally say "stay out." The manager must say to you, if he knows you are in the store again, "get out AND then stay out." The letter is not a confirmation of the first instance of being asked to get out but a confirmation of the first instance of a stay out order.

Record record record.

Though, that likely will not matter to a cop. Having "evidence" that you were not told to stay out can/will only be proven to a judge.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I apologize; post #8.

No problem. It looks like the post has been self-edited because I don't see an insult there anymore. But if you see any others, just report them and I will be glad to address them.

John

eye95

No problem. It looks like the post has been self-edited because I don't see an insult there anymore. But if you see any others, just report them and I will be glad to address them.

John

Nothing was removed from post #8. I merely bolded a part of it, added an asterisk, and added the explanatory note for the asterisk. Check the times of the edit and the time of the complaint. You will note that no changes were made to the post since the complaint was made. I find the whole discussion of that post being insulting to be a personal attack in its own right. Should a poster think a post violates the rules, there is a reporting system in place to handle the situation. Instead a poster chooses, in the open, to call a post that is absolutely straightforward a personal attack. That action is itself a personal attack.

I would ask that all of this silly distraction, including this post, be removed from this thread. It would also be useful if the reporting system were explained to the offending poster.

Thank you.

<o>

sudden valley gunner

A quick copy/paste would be great. As much effort as you put into actually typing out a post. Its generally considered polite to make things easy to follow and understand for the readers of your posts, especially if you have something you are trying to point out.

I have no reason to doubt his story all I was saying was pointing out how he could make it easier. I would have liked to read the encounter and hear the audio.
That's all I was saying is that he could make it easier by providing us the links to his info.
It's fun being on his ignore list because I get to counter some of his more statist arguments with a more liberty view
Actually if I remember correctly I was put on ignore for pointing out his habit of feigning being insulted while he underhandedly insults others and insisting we debate civilly.
As in making statements like "I can't make it any clearer" insinuating others who don't get his point are not on his level of intelligence.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Russian...

What they are saying is that the policy is to follow the local laws.
What he is saying is that store managers don't know jack about local laws let alone state laws on guns. All they know is a nitwit complains about a OC'd gun or that the manager(s) complain about a OC'd gun. There are plenty of threads around here where managers make it up on the fly and try to get away with it.

Lasjayhawk

Last time I went into a target on the way to the range, they didn't have any targets. So now I go to wal-mart, as I can by targets at wal-mart. :monkey