Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural bridge is anti gun?

Natural bridge is anti gun?

I tried searching first. But not knowing whether or not Natural Bridge is State or Federal property and what their gun policy is. I decided to write them. The responce I got was not very nice. I asked for their rules first and I was met with "What rules inprticular". I gave an example of things like No bug spray in the butterfly house. Then I was told pets are allowed and each area has its own specific set of rules. So not getting the answer I wanted I just became blunt and asked flat out. I carry a hand gun and wanted to know if I would be able to excersie my right to do so when I visit the Natural Bridge? When I recieved this responce.

Yes, we are privately owned. NO GUNS are allowed on property.
    Thank you

Cathy D. Shiflett
    Sales Associate
    The Natural Bridge of Virginia
    T:540-458-3763
    F:540-291-1551

Now I left the contact information on there for good reason. But really? Did it need to be in capital letters? Does anyone else know for a fact that this is their policy? Because that was a very emotional responce to my question.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bowesmobile View Post
    I tried searching first. But not knowing whether or not Natural Bridge is State or Federal property and what their gun policy is. I decided to write them. The responce I got was not very nice. I asked for their rules first and I was met with "What rules inprticular". I gave an example of things like No bug spray in the butterfly house. Then I was told pets are allowed and each area has its own specific set of rules. So not getting the answer I wanted I just became blunt and asked flat out. I carry a hand gun and wanted to know if I would be able to excersie my right to do so when I visit the Natural Bridge? When I recieved this responce.

Yes, we are privately owned. NO GUNS are allowed on property.
    Thank you

Cathy D. Shiflett
    Sales Associate
    The Natural Bridge of Virgini
    T:540-458-3763
    F:540-291-1551

Now I left the contact information on there for good reason. But really? Did it need to be in capital letters? Does anyone else know for a fact that this is their policy? Because that was a very emotional responce to my question.
    Your first mistake was the letter. Be presumptive and carry your gun. I've carried in the natural bridge shop and other areas up there with out issue. Remember they are not federal land and can only ask you to leave for having the gun. Then if u refuse to leave with the firearm then the cops can charge you with trespassing. If you write a letter asking for permission the answer will always be no. Instead now your rights and carry then if your asked to leave right a letter explaining the law and refuse to go back.

I find it somewhat amusing that a check-out clerk in the gift store is generating correspondence communicating the official policy of the owners of this property.

As so many have previously pointed out, unless you are in a position to lose a great deal of time or money, assume you're fine and go on with your visit, especially if there are no posted policies.

Force them to take the initiative to ask a peaceable customer (and family?) to leave for no reason whatsoever. That makes them the bad guy, not you.

I can only imagine how the internal communication went from the receipt of a letter to their response. You surrendered your opportunity to present a "normal" person legally carrying a firearm. They probably thought you were planning to come in and start shooting the place up, and their "no" was the only thing that stopped you!

TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by love4guns View Post
    Your first mistake was the letter. .
    This.

I've carried at NB twice...no one said a word. The only place I didn't go was the Post Office in the basement of the gift shop.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I find it somewhat amusing that a check-out clerk in the gift store is generating correspondence communicating the official policy of the owners of this property.

TFred

I think she is a sales person for the hotel itself...not the gift shop.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Founder's Club Member
    When / if you think of calling or writing to ask what the policy is on carrying your sidearm someplace stop and think: Do I bother to call to ask if they allow SUVs on the property? Do I call to ask if they allow Bibles on the property? Do I call to ask if they have any issues with blue jeans? If the answer is no, then do the same with your sidearm. Unless compelled by law or you have a significant amount of money or time to lose, do not ask permission in advance.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    One of those Shiflett's....coulda been worse, it could have been one the Shifflett's. They really ain't right.

One of my favorite philosphies in life is "IF YOU DO NOT ASK, YOU DO NOT GET TOLD NO"
    But then the other one is "IT IS ALWAYS EASIER TO BEG FOR FORGIVENESS THAN TO ASK FOR PERMISSION"

Been a few times myself, never an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    One of those Shiflett's....coulda been worse, it could have been one the Shifflett's. They really ain't right.
    Three years ago I would have been scratching my head at this, now I find it funny as all get out.
    Hope no Shifflett's were offend with this message.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Can't help but point out that Route 11 runs right over the top of Natural Bridge... I wonder if they think their "policy" extends to the road?

TFred

When I lived in Charlottesville, I found 11 different spellings of Shiflett in the phone book. That must be how they avoid inbreeding.

(Sorry!)

So for those who've been there, is anything posted?

I just checked their website. No way they are anti-gun:

"...traversed by Civil War soldiers..."
    Also from http://cei.org/studies-issue-analysi...ridge-virginia

A couple times a year, there is a Civil War "living history" weekend, featuring the 5th New York Volunteer Infantry
    An especially charming and instructive story about the bridge appears in the works of John James Audubon, the noted artist and naturalist, who devoted much of his life to crisscrossing the American wilderness with little more than his shotgun, sketchpads, and painting gear to record the birdlife of America.
    Using the Rockbridge County Geographical Information Service (GIS) I found that Natural Bridge is owned by ... Natural Bridge of Virginia LLC, apparently a rather secretive organization, as Google returns no results relative to the search.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    SNIP I just checked their website. No way they are anti-gun: "...traversed by Civil War soldiers...".
    Hey! Maybe that's why Maryland is so anti-gun. Maryland, having plenty of southern sympathizers, objected to federal troops passing through on their way south. Lincoln sent the troops through, anyway.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Thomas Jefferson purchased the bridge and 157 acres around it in 1774, about 40 years after Natural Bridge was first documented by an explorer other than a Native American.1 Though Jefferson tried to sell "one of the sublimest curiosities in nature" for development as a tourist resort,2 the property stayed in his family until 1835 (ten years after his death). The site has been privately owned ever since that 1774 purchase, though there have been proposals since at least the 1940's for Virginia to purchase Natural Bridge for a state park.3
    http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geolog...ralbridge.html

Fire article about the Natural Bridge Haunted Monster Museum shows ownership as Natural Bridge LLC.
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/v...ze-ar-1850085/

For anyone interested in acquiring the ownership principal's names, the State Corporation Commission should be able to provide that as a public record together with addresses.

Natural Bridge is FOR SALE
    The property is being sold not out of financial difficulty but because three of the eight owners are in their 80s, according to David Kleppinger, executive director of the Rockbridge Partnership, a regional economic development organization.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-25-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: format + added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    This.

I've carried at NB twice...no one said a word. The only place I didn't go was the Post Office in the basement of the gift shop.
    That's a contrtact Post Office, not a USPS Post Office. And the last time I was there (mailed a post card: "Having a time here. Wish you were wonderful.") it was not posted as required by postal regs. While discretion is the better part of valor, knowledge helps determine when discretion is mandated as opposed to merely being a good idea.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Natural Bridge is FOR SALE
    The property is being sold not out of financial difficulty but because three of the eight owners are in their 80s, according to David Kleppinger, executive director of the Rockbridge Partnership, a regional economic development organization.
    Put me down for 10 bucks!

That leaves a mere $32, 499, 990.00 to go. We should be able to raise that before Thanksgiving, right?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Put me down for 10 bucks!

That leaves a mere $32, 499, 990.00 to go. We should be able to raise that before Thanksgiving, right?

stay safe.
    Which year?

Roscoe
    Last edited by roscoe13; 10-25-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    When / if you think of calling or writing to ask what the policy is on carrying your sidearm someplace stop and think: Do I bother to call to ask if they allow SUVs on the property? Do I call to ask if they allow Bibles on the property? Do I call to ask if they have any issues with blue jeans? If the answer is no, then do the same with your sidearm. Unless compelled by law or you have a significant amount of money or time to lose, do not ask permission in advance.
    Good point and yes I earned my lashings for that one. My whole reasoning is I'm going to be a couple hours from home with my family. Being put into a position where I am seen taking my gun to my car and returning without it seems to make me a target and something I dont want. But, that being said this woman couldn't even give me the real rules of the place in a clear format. Sooo that being said I will try it and ask for forgiveness if they catch me. If it goes beyond that I'll demand my money back. It's not cheap what were going to do while were there. Were going on the full tour. So that being said they might think twice about their wallets.

Yes it was my mistake for asking in the first place. But it seemed that a lot could be on the line for me and my family. Thanks guys for the freindly slap. I think I'm better now.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I haven't said anything about this Bowes...because I'm middle of the road. I don't ever ask but do some snooping once in a while.

If I get booted that's fine. There aren't many things I care that much about.

Doing something with the family is different. There is more at stake than what I want and if we go somewhere that tells me to leave it in the car, I often do it rather than spoil the outing for everyone.

If you're going somewhere that you're not sure about and really want to go there, cover it up. Unseen is unseen.
    Last edited by peter nap; 10-25-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    That's a contrtact Post Office, not a USPS Post Office. And the last time I was there (mailed a post card: "Having a time here. Wish you were wonderful.") it was not posted as required by postal regs. While discretion is the better part of valor, knowledge helps determine when discretion is mandated as opposed to merely being a good idea.

stay safe.
    I saw no reason to poke the bear and ask him what kind of bear he was........
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowesmobile View Post
    Good point and yes I earned my lashings for that one. My whole reasoning is I'm going to be a couple hours from home with my family. Being put into a position where I am seen taking my gun to my car and returning without it seems to make me a target and something I dont want. But, that being said this woman couldn't even give me the real rules of the place in a clear format. Sooo that being said I will try it and ask for forgiveness if they catch me. If it goes beyond that I'll demand my money back. It's not cheap what were going to do while were there. Were going on the full tour. So that being said they might think twice about their wallets.

Yes it was my mistake for asking in the first place. But it seemed that a lot could be on the line for me and my family. Thanks guys for the freindly slap. I think I'm better now.
    Eh everybody learns something new occasionally. If we didn't learn, we'd be just plain dumb.

Next time perhaps start a post here and ask folks about their experiences with OC at Natural Bridge. Natural Bridge is only about 45 minutes up the road from where I live, so if nothing else I could've OCed up there myself to see if there were any issues. I haven't been there myself, so it would've been a good chance for me to see the sight.

Doing something with the family is different. There is more at stake than what I want and if we go somewhere that tells me to leave it in the car, I often do it rather than spoil the outing for everyone.

I'm certainly in that boat from time to time. I think most of us probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Eh everybody learns something new occasionally. If we didn't learn, we'd be just plain dumb.

Next time perhaps start a post here and ask folks about their experiences with OC at Natural Bridge. Natural Bridge is only about 45 minutes up the road from where I live, so if nothing else I could've OCed up there myself to see if there were any issues. I haven't been there myself, so it would've been a good chance for me to see the sight.
    LOL, yeah, that would seem like the better part of things. If you want to see it. Come up on Saturday. Me and my family will be there. Then we can both find out together.

Peter,

Some dont understand that there's more at stake than carrying when you have a family. You seem to get that. Thanks for your input. Its definitely a nice balance.

Founder's Club Member
    Give me an idea of time and I'll check with the wifester on joining y'all. We've got a church shindig in the afternoon, so I'm not certain we could make it.

Knowing my family we'll be there sometime around 9-10 am and be leaving at 4-5pm ish, and those are exact times! It'd be nice to meet a few people from out that way. Were staying at the Wildwood campground Friday to Sunday. PM me for details.

I haven't said anything about this Bowes...because I'm middle of the road. I don't ever ask but do some snooping
    once in a while.
    With four kids this is the norm...

If I get booted that's fine. There aren't many things I care that much about.
    Yep.

Lucky for me the wife and kids understand and agree with my principals and don't seem to mind a change in our plans if need be.

If you're going somewhere that you're not sure about and really want to go there, cover it up. Unseen is unseen.
    The larger text above is mine

Don't think I'm (we're) telling you to break the law if you don't have a permit, as I (we) would never do that.

I find either the folks in charge don't notice, don't care or agree as nothing has been said to make me think otherwise.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast