• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Natural bridge is anti gun?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran

Doing something with the family is different. There is more at stake than what I want and if we go somewhere that tells me to leave it in the car, I often do it rather than spoil the outing for everyone.

I'm certainly in that boat from time to time. I think most of us probably are.

Bowesmobile

Eh everybody learns something new occasionally. If we didn't learn, we'd be just plain dumb. :)

Next time perhaps start a post here and ask folks about their experiences with OC at Natural Bridge. Natural Bridge is only about 45 minutes up the road from where I live, so if nothing else I could've OCed up there myself to see if there were any issues. I haven't been there myself, so it would've been a good chance for me to see the sight. :D

LOL, yeah, that would seem like the better part of things. If you want to see it. Come up on Saturday. Me and my family will be there. Then we can both find out together.

Peter,

Some dont understand that there's more at stake than carrying when you have a family. You seem to get that. Thanks for your input. Its definitely a nice balance.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Give me an idea of time and I'll check with the wifester on joining y'all. We've got a church shindig in the afternoon, so I'm not certain we could make it.

Bowesmobile

Knowing my family we'll be there sometime around 9-10 am and be leaving at 4-5pm ish, and those are exact times! :D It'd be nice to meet a few people from out that way. Were staying at the Wildwood campground Friday to Sunday. PM me for details.

Marco

I haven't said anything about this Bowes...because I'm middle of the road. I don't ever ask but do some snooping
once in a while.
With four kids this is the norm...

If I get booted that's fine. There aren't many things I care that much about.
Yep.

Doing something with the family is different. There is more at stake than what I want and if we go somewhere that tells me to leave it in the car, I often do it rather than spoil the outing for everyone.
Lucky for me the wife and kids understand and agree with my principals and don't seem to mind a change in our plans if need be.

If you're going somewhere that you're not sure about and really want to go there, cover it up. Unseen is unseen.

The larger text above is mine

Don't think I'm (we're) telling you to break the law if you don't have a permit, as I (we) would never do that.

I find either the folks in charge don't notice, don't care or agree as nothing has been said to make me think otherwise.

hunter45

One of those Shiflett's....coulda been worse, it could have been one the Shifflett's. They really ain't right.

What's the story behind this? I've noticed that there are a ton of people named Shiflett from the Harrisonburg area. I think the police chief at JMU was Lee Shiflett.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What's the story behind this? I've noticed that there are a ton of people named Shiflett from the Harrisonburg area. I think the police chief at JMU was Lee Shiflett.

........the article was derogatory, stating “Researchers have found Shiflet's Hollow was probably a community of rough mountain people with little education.” The article told of intermarriages and alcoholic violence from the Greene County area of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and speculated as to whether the Shiflet name is French, German or take your pick. The article went on to state that because of the unusually high concentration of Shiflets in the Charlottesville, Virginia area (approximately 450 in the phone book), the family has been the subject of much teasing and negative rumors.
http://www.klein-shiflett.com/shifletfamily/HHI/surname.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Sorry Hunter but you should know by now that at least half of my jokes are understood by a handful of people and can't be repeated in polite company. I grew up in the area BTW.:lol:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Knowing my family we'll be there sometime around 9-10 am and be leaving at 4-5pm ish, and those are exact times! :D It'd be nice to meet a few people from out that way. Were staying at the Wildwood campground Friday to Sunday. PM me for details.

Well I don't think I'll be seeing you since we now have a busy day Saturday, but I hope you and the family enjoy the trip!

nuc65

Activist Member
Four days and no word, further information, on your friend's daughter?

The only further word has been that she called to police dispatch and said she was ok. She refused to tell where she was, her father confirmed her voice. The police are still looking for her to verify she is ok, and are still unable to physically locate her.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site VT!
I was the one that made the TT Shiflett Joke which was directed at another FORMER member here and is a running joke in the mountain community and has been for 50 or so years at least. I don't plan to apologize or debate it.

I don't think anyone "Called your Mother out". A portion of a blunt and somewhat snippy email was reprinted:

Yes, we are privately owned. NO GUNS are allowed on property.
Thank you

Cathy D. XXXXX
Sales Associate
The Natural Bridge of Virginia
T:540-458-XXXX
F:540-291-XXXX

Bowes may remove it so I left it out of the quote.

Everyone has a different view, even and especially here. To me, no guns = antigun. Its either black or white. There is no middle ground, but others will feel differently.

As private property you have a perfect right to not allow guns. I have a perfect right to not like it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
vthokie -

Welcome to OCDO, even if you seem you are only here to protect your mother's honor.

Please understand that that the term "anti-gun" does not necessarily mean being against the concept of the right to keep and bear arms. It is a shorthand for designating places that do not welcome the carry of handguns and, as you might imagine, is applied to private enterprise as opposed to government entities. As folks who are philosophically inclined to go about armed, it is important to know those places that are not going to welcome us (as in tolerate, although there are some that do throw out the welcome mat and activelty seek our patronage.

Being personally pro-gun - as in "I own several, I have a CHP, I am a member of the NRA, etc. - is not being pro-gun rights. It's fuddism. ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fudd in case you are not familiar with the term)

If you believe that information that was posted is inaccurate or misleading you should communicate that via PM (private message) to the OP (original poster of that information) seeking to have them edit it to reflect accuracy or to remove anything misleading. If that route does not achieve your desired result you may contact a moderator or administrator for assistance in resolving the matter. (I am neither, BTW)

If, on the other hand, you are just upset at how information that is factual was presented, you need to get over that. Truth needs no additional support.

As for the "Shiflet/Shiflett" matter - it has been clearly identified as a private joke between some but not all of the posters on this thread. If you are upset with the poster who used that private joke in reference to the policy of Natural Bridge, please communicate directly with him. I do warn you that he does not tolerate Fudds well, which may explain why he posted what he did - but you will need to confirm that with him.

Now that all of that has been dealt with - do you have any intention of sticking around and participating in any part of the Open Carry Movement?

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It is not my mother's property. We don't own it. She was communicating the policy of the people who do. I was trying to illustrate that the perception that my mother's email was an emotional response from an emphatic anti-gun person is incorrect. I am neither asking anyone to apologize for anything, nor am I expecting apologies. Like I said I don't care what you guys make fun of. I am only requesting that mother's name and phone number be removed as it serves no purpose.

While you and/or your mother may not like it, she is the point of contact for discussion of the incident reported - until and unless someone higher up in the Natural Bridge organization steps forward and assume that responsibility. She was the one who spoke with/to Bose. Anybody that wanted to follow up would need to know who to follow up with.

How can I say this nicely? Being butthurt will not fly around here. If you have a legitimate complaint about accuracy then deal with that. I have sugested how you might go about doing that.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just to follow up on Skid's post, Bowesmobile is one of the more considerate people here. I expect that if you PM him, he will be more than happy to remove your mothers information....Again, just my opinion.
People's "Mothers" are rarely the target of antigun labels. It is the establishment.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Welcome to the forum!
So I've actually visited this forum several times before as a guest and never registered. However, now that I see my mother has been explicitly called out in a thread I thought I would sign up. Your mother answered a question as a representative of the management. It is not uncommon to list the contact information for a representative of a contacted organization so others can have a contact to complain about the policy. I hope the contact numbers were company numbers and not her personal numbers. I must admit I was pretty angry when I first read it but I will try to be as polite as possible in my response. Natural Bridge is a privately owned facility and sets its own gun policy. My mother is in no way anti-gun and has previously owned many guns herself. Comments were made that it seemed like an emotional response due to the use of all caps in "NO GUNS". The use of all caps in typed messages all caps is considered yelling and yelling no guns is a tactic of the antis. My step-dad is retired Navy, I would like to thank your step-dad for his service. My dad was in the Navy in WWII. used to shoot competitively, and despite what you guys have written here in this thread about the intelligence of people named Shiflett, is very smart and holds a Master's degree from UVa. As my username suggests I graduated from Virginia Tech. I am an aerospace engineer and have previously worked at NASA. Pretty good for some dumb inbreeds if you ask me. In addition, I love guns, happen to have 10 of them, and am currently planning a rifle build. I also have a CWP and occasionally carry concealed. Needless to say we are very much pro-guns.

To BoseMobile:

I am sorry you felt my mother was being rude in her response. She did reply with an apology and explain that she was not trying to be rude and just trying to be clear and concise. I'm sure she will probably dispense with using the caps from now on because she does not mean to offend anyone. I have nothing to do with the Natural Bridge and I don't really care how much you guys talk about them. I don't really even care how much you guys make fun of Shifletts. I realize people will say pretty much anything when they are on the internet and semi-anonymous. But I would like to ask, from one engineer to another, if you would please remove my mother's information from your post. As I've stated my mother is not anti-gun. She was communicating the bridge policy Was she acting as the authorized representative of Natural Bridge? and apologized to you for coming off as being rude by using the capital letters. I don't see where having her name or phone number on there is really necessary. As I stated earlier it is not uncommon to list the contact information for a representative of a contacted organization so others can have a contact to complain about the policy. I hope the contact numbers were company numbers and not her personal numbers.

I hope you all have had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I wish you all a merry Christmas and happy new year.

Thank you.
Again welcome to the forum. Have had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Posting contact information, particularly publicly available information pertaining to a business, is not against the forum rules. Such is made available to other members so they too may express their concerns.

Anti-gun refers to not endorsing or allowing the carry of personal defense tools, also referred to as "unfriendly." There is nothing personal in that - it is a statement of fact.

As others have said the "Shifflet" thing is much as the same as calling someone a redneck - a lot depends on the intent and attitude displayed. I see no foul.

It is apparent that vthokie as taken umbrage. That is unfortunate but does not excuse personal insults posted by him. While I had considered opening his closed remarks in the spirit of fairness to others, I see no benefit at this time.

Suggest that we leave this aspect/part of this thread at rest. I will do likewise unless it gets out of hand.