• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Natural bridge is anti gun?

Bowesmobile

I tried searching first. But not knowing whether or not Natural Bridge is State or Federal property and what their gun policy is. I decided to write them. The responce I got was not very nice. I asked for their rules first and I was met with "What rules inprticular". I gave an example of things like No bug spray in the butterfly house. Then I was told pets are allowed and each area has its own specific set of rules. So not getting the answer I wanted I just became blunt and asked flat out. I carry a hand gun and wanted to know if I would be able to excersie my right to do so when I visit the Natural Bridge? When I recieved this responce.

Yes, we are privately owned. NO GUNS are allowed on property.
Thank you

Cathy D. Shiflett
Sales Associate
The Natural Bridge of Virginia
T:540-458-3763
F:540-291-1551

Now I left the contact information on there for good reason. But really? Did it need to be in capital letters? Does anyone else know for a fact that this is their policy? Because that was a very emotional responce to my question.

love4guns

I tried searching first. But not knowing whether or not Natural Bridge is State or Federal property and what their gun policy is. I decided to write them. The responce I got was not very nice. I asked for their rules first and I was met with "What rules inprticular". I gave an example of things like No bug spray in the butterfly house. Then I was told pets are allowed and each area has its own specific set of rules. So not getting the answer I wanted I just became blunt and asked flat out. I carry a hand gun and wanted to know if I would be able to excersie my right to do so when I visit the Natural Bridge? When I recieved this responce.

Yes, we are privately owned. NO GUNS are allowed on property.
Thank you

Cathy D. Shiflett
Sales Associate
The Natural Bridge of Virgini
T:540-458-3763
F:540-291-1551

Now I left the contact information on there for good reason. But really? Did it need to be in capital letters? Does anyone else know for a fact that this is their policy? Because that was a very emotional responce to my question.

Your first mistake was the letter. Be presumptive and carry your gun. I've carried in the natural bridge shop and other areas up there with out issue. Remember they are not federal land and can only ask you to leave for having the gun. Then if u refuse to leave with the firearm then the cops can charge you with trespassing. If you write a letter asking for permission the answer will always be no. Instead now your rights and carry then if your asked to leave right a letter explaining the law and refuse to go back.

TFred

I find it somewhat amusing that a check-out clerk in the gift store is generating correspondence communicating the official policy of the owners of this property.

As so many have previously pointed out, unless you are in a position to lose a great deal of time or money, assume you're fine and go on with your visit, especially if there are no posted policies.

Force them to take the initiative to ask a peaceable customer (and family?) to leave for no reason whatsoever. That makes them the bad guy, not you.

I can only imagine how the internal communication went from the receipt of a letter to their response. You surrendered your opportunity to present a "normal" person legally carrying a firearm. They probably thought you were planning to come in and start shooting the place up, and their "no" was the only thing that stopped you!

TFred

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
When / if you think of calling or writing to ask what the policy is on carrying your sidearm someplace stop and think: Do I bother to call to ask if they allow SUVs on the property? Do I call to ask if they allow Bibles on the property? Do I call to ask if they have any issues with blue jeans? If the answer is no, then do the same with your sidearm. Unless compelled by law or you have a significant amount of money or time to lose, do not ask permission in advance.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One of those Shiflett's....coulda been worse, it could have been one the Shifflett's. They really ain't right.

paramedic

One of my favorite philosphies in life is "IF YOU DO NOT ASK, YOU DO NOT GET TOLD NO"
But then the other one is "IT IS ALWAYS EASIER TO BEG FOR FORGIVENESS THAN TO ASK FOR PERMISSION"

Marco

Been a few times myself, never an issue.
One of those Shiflett's....coulda been worse, it could have been one the Shifflett's. They really ain't right.

Three years ago I would have been scratching my head at this, now I find it funny as all get out.
Hope no Shifflett's were offend with this message.

paramedic70002

When I lived in Charlottesville, I found 11 different spellings of Shiflett in the phone book. That must be how they avoid inbreeding.

(Sorry!)

So for those who've been there, is anything posted?

I just checked their website. No way they are anti-gun:

"...traversed by Civil War soldiers..."

Also from http://cei.org/studies-issue-analysis/natural-bridge-virginia

A couple times a year, there is a Civil War "living history" weekend, featuring the 5th New York Volunteer Infantry

An especially charming and instructive story about the bridge appears in the works of John James Audubon, the noted artist and naturalist, who devoted much of his life to crisscrossing the American wilderness with little more than his shotgun, sketchpads, and painting gear to record the birdlife of America.

Using the Rockbridge County Geographical Information Service (GIS) I found that Natural Bridge is owned by ... Natural Bridge of Virginia LLC, apparently a rather secretive organization, as Google returns no results relative to the search.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I just checked their website. No way they are anti-gun: "...traversed by Civil War soldiers...".

Hey! Maybe that's why Maryland is so anti-gun. Maryland, having plenty of southern sympathizers, objected to federal troops passing through on their way south. Lincoln sent the troops through, anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thomas Jefferson purchased the bridge and 157 acres around it in 1774, about 40 years after Natural Bridge was first documented by an explorer other than a Native American.[SUP]1[/SUP] Though Jefferson tried to sell "one of the sublimest curiosities in nature" for development as a tourist resort,[SUP]2[/SUP] the property stayed in his family until 1835 (ten years after his death). The site has been privately owned ever since that 1774 purchase, though there have been proposals since at least the 1940's for Virginia to purchase Natural Bridge for a state park.[SUP]3[/SUP]
http://www.virginiaplaces.org/geology/naturalbridge.html

Fire article about the Natural Bridge Haunted Monster Museum shows ownership as Natural Bridge LLC.
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...ourist-attraction-destroyed-blaze-ar-1850085/

For anyone interested in acquiring the ownership principal's names, the State Corporation Commission should be able to provide that as a public record together with addresses.

Natural Bridge is FOR SALE
The property is being sold not out of financial difficulty but because three of the eight owners are in their 80s, according to David Kleppinger, executive director of the Rockbridge Partnership, a regional economic development organization.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This.

I've carried at NB twice...no one said a word. The only place I didn't go was the Post Office in the basement of the gift shop.

That's a contrtact Post Office, not a USPS Post Office. And the last time I was there (mailed a post card: "Having a time here. Wish you were wonderful.") it was not posted as required by postal regs. While discretion is the better part of valor, knowledge helps determine when discretion is mandated as opposed to merely being a good idea.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Natural Bridge is FOR SALE
The property is being sold not out of financial difficulty but because three of the eight owners are in their 80s, according to David Kleppinger, executive director of the Rockbridge Partnership, a regional economic development organization.

Put me down for 10 bucks!

That leaves a mere $32, 499, 990.00 to go. We should be able to raise that before Thanksgiving, right?:)

stay safe.

Bowesmobile

When / if you think of calling or writing to ask what the policy is on carrying your sidearm someplace stop and think: Do I bother to call to ask if they allow SUVs on the property? Do I call to ask if they allow Bibles on the property? Do I call to ask if they have any issues with blue jeans? If the answer is no, then do the same with your sidearm. Unless compelled by law or you have a significant amount of money or time to lose, do not ask permission in advance.

Good point and yes I earned my lashings for that one. My whole reasoning is I'm going to be a couple hours from home with my family. Being put into a position where I am seen taking my gun to my car and returning without it seems to make me a target and something I dont want. But, that being said this woman couldn't even give me the real rules of the place in a clear format. Sooo that being said I will try it and ask for forgiveness if they catch me. If it goes beyond that I'll demand my money back. It's not cheap what were going to do while were there. Were going on the full tour. So that being said they might think twice about their wallets.

Yes it was my mistake for asking in the first place. But it seemed that a lot could be on the line for me and my family. Thanks guys for the freindly slap. I think I'm better now. :banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I haven't said anything about this Bowes...because I'm middle of the road. I don't ever ask but do some snooping once in a while.

If I get booted that's fine. There aren't many things I care that much about.

Doing something with the family is different. There is more at stake than what I want and if we go somewhere that tells me to leave it in the car, I often do it rather than spoil the outing for everyone.

If you're going somewhere that you're not sure about and really want to go there, cover it up. Unseen is unseen.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
That's a contrtact Post Office, not a USPS Post Office. And the last time I was there (mailed a post card: "Having a time here. Wish you were wonderful.") it was not posted as required by postal regs. While discretion is the better part of valor, knowledge helps determine when discretion is mandated as opposed to merely being a good idea.

stay safe.

I saw no reason to poke the bear and ask him what kind of bear he was........

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Good point and yes I earned my lashings for that one. My whole reasoning is I'm going to be a couple hours from home with my family. Being put into a position where I am seen taking my gun to my car and returning without it seems to make me a target and something I dont want. But, that being said this woman couldn't even give me the real rules of the place in a clear format. Sooo that being said I will try it and ask for forgiveness if they catch me. If it goes beyond that I'll demand my money back. It's not cheap what were going to do while were there. Were going on the full tour. So that being said they might think twice about their wallets.

Yes it was my mistake for asking in the first place. But it seemed that a lot could be on the line for me and my family. Thanks guys for the freindly slap. I think I'm better now. :banghead:

Eh everybody learns something new occasionally. If we didn't learn, we'd be just plain dumb. :)

Next time perhaps start a post here and ask folks about their experiences with OC at Natural Bridge. Natural Bridge is only about 45 minutes up the road from where I live, so if nothing else I could've OCed up there myself to see if there were any issues. I haven't been there myself, so it would've been a good chance for me to see the sight. :D