• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 days of OC in Traverse City

fire suppressor

Hello everyone,

In case you missed my first thread I have just moved to Traverses City from Seattle. I do not yet have my Michigan CPL so I have been opening carrying where allowed by law not only out of principal but also out of necessity. I have been open carrying strongly over the past three days and so far have had zero issues. A few looks, a few smiles and a few looks of disapproval but zero problems or comments.

A few days ago I was walking into Gander Mountain to look at hunting gear and came across a group of boy scouts outside the door selling pop corn. The kids and parents immediately recognized my gun and everyone smiled. We all had a nice long talk about life in general and everyone appeared to very comfortable around my Smith and Wesson 649. I did not buy any pop corn but did make a donation.

I spent about half a hour inside Gander Mountain with a few looks but no problems. The guys behind the gun counter looked like they wanted to say something either good or bad but they did not comment on it and I did not provide a opening. So far the last three days have been very casual and I know I am sill new to the area but I hope it continues

detroit_fan

Good to hear! A lot of good people have worked very hard to help "normalize" OC here in MI, so fortunately most days and places you carry can be expected to go the same way.

BTW- Welcome to MI

CaptBW

When your ears need to be lowered- check out Jere's Barbershop on Front Street. Jere is open carry friendly, and has an open carry sign in the window.

B

Bikenut

When your ears need to be lowered- check out Jere's Barbershop on Front Street. Jere is open carry friendly, and has an open carry sign in the window.
Just wanted to add... those who don't have a CPL need to be careful about a barber's apron? might cover their sidearm during a haircut making the gun temporarily "concealed".

fire suppressor

Good to hear! A lot of good people have worked very hard to help "normalize" OC here in MI, so fortunately most days and places you carry can be expected to go the same way.

BTW- Welcome to MI

I am incredibly thankful to the folks fighting for my rights. Back home we do a lot of picnics and dinners to get our message out there. How are the police out here? In Seattle the police are 50/50 and some love to detain you. Are the police a problem here? I am not going to go out of my way to be rude but I am not breaking any law and do not feel a conversation about it is legal or appropriate. If the police want to stop and have a lengthy discussion they will have to detain me first

SpringerXDacp

True but I would also be on private property

In Michigan, without a CPL, it's illegal for you to CC on/at/in property, or business, you do not own/rent/lease.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(k3...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

fire suppressor

In Michigan, without a CPL, it's illegal for you to CC on/at/in property, or business, you do not own/rent/lease.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(k3...eg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227

Thanks I am still reading and trying to understand all of these new laws, it is a little different than that back home. I would think it being a privately owned business it would be at the discretion of the business owner

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

SpringerXDacp

Thanks I am still reading and trying to understand all of these new laws, it is a little different than that back home. I would think it being a privately owned business it would be at the descriptionbut of the business owner

750.234d below lists such places where OC, without CPL, is legal with permission of owner(s), or agent of owner(s):

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(mh...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

Those exempt under the Section:

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

scot623

I would think it being a privately owned business it would be at the descriptionbut of the business owner

You can never get permission to conceal without a valid CPL, private property or not. The only place you can legally conceal your firearm in Michigan without a CPL is on property you own or your own business.

TheQ

You can never get permission to conceal without a valid CPL, private property or not. The only place you can legally conceal your firearm in Michigan without a CPL is on property you own or your own business.

The actual text of MCL 750.227 is:

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

So..."place of business"...whatever that means.

Evil Creamsicle

I am incredibly thankful to the folks fighting for my rights. Back home we do a lot of picnics and dinners to get our message out there. How are the police out here? In Seattle the police are 50/50 and some love to detain you. Are the police a problem here? I am not going to go out of my way to be rude but I am not breaking any law and do not feel a conversation about it is legal or appropriate. If the police want to stop and have a lengthy discussion they will have to detain me first

Didn't see this addressed yet but, yeah, the cops are about the same, it depends on the area.

Most of the time its not an issue, we've gone through some lengths to educate departments and things, but you will run into the occasional cop that just wants to detain you. A couple lawsuits later and they are getting a bit better, however I doubt you'll see much issue in Traverse City.

DanM

SpringerXDacp said:

Thanks I am still reading and trying to understand all of these new laws, it is a little different than that back home. I would think it being a privately owned business it would be at the discretion of the business owner

Wrong. I would suggest you not OC until you know the relevant laws. Going ahead and open carrying while not having a CPL and "still reading and trying to understand" the relevant laws is a perfect recipe for getting yourself jammed up.

Before you OC again, I would highly suggest you attend an OC gathering or seminar, or meet up with an experienced OC'er in your area.

Sail Man

Hello everyone,

In case you missed my first thread I have just moved to Traverses City from Seattle. I do not yet have my Michigan CPL so I have been opening carrying where allowed by law not only out of principal but also out of necessity. I have been open carrying strongly over the past three days and so far have had zero issues. A few looks, a few smiles and a few looks of disapproval but zero problems or comments.

A few days ago I was walking into Gander Mountain to look at hunting gear and came across a group of boy scouts outside the door selling pop corn. The kids and parents immediately recognized my gun and everyone smiled. We all had a nice long talk about life in general and everyone appeared to very comfortable around my Smith and Wesson 649. I did not buy any pop corn but did make a donation.

I spent about half a hour inside Gander Mountain with a few looks but no problems. The guys behind the gun counter looked like they wanted to say something either good or bad but they did not comment on it and I did not provide a opening. So far the last three days have been very casual and I know I am sill new to the area but I hope it continues

I'm from TC, grew up on the peninsula btw. Visit family there often as I will next week for some deer hunting.

I've OC'd in that Gander Mtn many times without any issues, nor any looks that I would construe as negative. Last month I was up there and was approached by a gentleman about what I was carrying (S&W M&P .40) and about OC in general. We had a nice convo, he was def. a fan of OC though he does not OC himself. I have also OC's at the Lowe's across the street where my brother works, as well as his best bud who is the GM and I have not had any issues there. His buddy has had employee's mention that there is a MWAG in the store and he just laughs and mentions "Oh, Pat's brother must be in town". I've OC'd down on Front St including in Horizon Books with no issues as well and a few other places with no issues.

BTW, I have relatives in Seattle. I will be up next Friday for a week. If your free for lunch and would like to meet/chat, shoot me an email.
sailmanmedic@hotmail.com I check that much more often then PM's here.