• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County Firearms Advisory Commission seeks applicants

911Grunt

Wednesday Oct 24 2012 11:53 AM

Help make recommendations to the County Council and Executive on laws regarding county firearm use.

Applications are being accepted to fill three positions as citizen representative on the Firearms Advisory Commission. The commission handles petitions concerning the discharge of firearms in prohibited and restricted areas. It also reviews all proposed county legislation regarding firearms.

The term is four years and applicants must provide documentation of a safety firearm class or Washington hunter safety class.

The commission convenes as needed to review proposed legislation. The Pierce County Executive will make the appointments subject to County Council confirmation.

Applications are available online at www.co.pierce.wa.us/xml/abtus/ourorg/exec/boards/AppPdfForm.pdf. To receive an application by mail, call the Executive's Office at 253-798-7477 or the Department of Planning and Land Services at 253-798-7156.

Applications should be returned by November 14.

MEDIA CONTACTS:
Toni Fairbanks, Clerk to the Board, Planning and Land Services
253-798-7156
tfairba@co.pierce.wa.us

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/cfapps/internet/news.cfm?node_id=131540

tombrewster421

Is this a volunteer gig, or do they pay when you are needed to serve?
Either way it would be good to fill those spots with the level headed people of this forum.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I was aware that these openings were coming about 18 months ago. I have already applied. And I am friends with a former County Councilman, so I hope to be appointed.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Update:

Follow up...

I had my first interview for the Firearms Advisory Commission today. I interviewed with Toni Fairbanks and 'Chad' (missed his last name) at the Pierce County Planning and Land services department. I was told the next step are personal interviews with the county executive and then a vote by the county council in the next couple of months.

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/index.aspx?nid=2127

The previous commission did not have much to do over the past several years, which is a good thing. And that they were also limited for budgetary reasons. They did mention that there is one petition pending for shooting areas off of HWY 410 near Greenwater and that the county executive wishes for the commission to review all prohibited areas in the county.

I believe there are 5 applicants for a couple of the 4 positions. I am good acquaintances with former county councilman Dick Muri, so I hope that works to my advantage.