• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer robbed of sidearm in Centreville in 2006?

Marco

Is this legit? Someone sent me the link, and it seems so. Or is this one of those one or two known cases?

OCer snuck up on and robbed of gun in 2006 in Fairfax County: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/073106robNewtonPatton.htm

Since this incident first came up it has been discussed at length on OCDO, unfortunately some of the older threads have been lost(?).
Being that I lived around the corner from where this incident supposedly happened myself and another OC'er (he lived about 3/4 mile away) took it upon ourselves to find out if it was true.

What we discovered was that the incident was not as claimed but a ruse.
The gun was not stolen and the alleged victim filed a false report.

We came by this by contacting the Fairfax County PD Sully District, as that is who investigated the claim.
Sorry, I can't remember who I spoke with, it's been a few years.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thank you!

I tried the search, but it doesn't matter what I enter, I just get "no results." I've never dealt with a worse search than the one on this website.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Thank you!

I tried the search, but it doesn't matter what I enter, I just get "no results." I've never dealt with a worse search than the one on this website.

I remember that forum user Bodhi mentioned the false report angle a number of times. You could try checking through his posts; it shouldn't take long--he hasn't been all that active for a long time.

Although, I do have to say that Marco's report in this thread is the most comprehensive I've seen.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Although, I do have to say that Marco's report in this thread is the most comprehensive I've seen.

It has been a while but I think Marco did most of the leg work on it. His account pretty much says it all.

TFred

This may be the original thread:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?66479-So-much-for-SA

For future reference, yes, the search function on this site pines for "useless."

Use the Google site search function:

site:forum.opencarry.org SearchTerm1 SearchTerm2 SearchTerm3

This doesn't let you distinguish among the sub-forums, but sometimes if you add Virginia as one of the terms, that helps.

For this example, I used this in the Google search box:

"site:forum.opencarry.org newton drive centreville"

And the link to the thread above was the first result.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Advanced search" will get you there, but still with more frustration and time wasted than general internet search engines and some basic search terms.

John and Mike - are you listening? Just saying, you know?

stay safe.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"Advanced search" will get you there,....

Yeah, that's the one I was using. I could have kept trying, but I realized at that point, with as active as the Virgina forum is, it would just be quicker to ask!

Last edited:

Marco

I don't believe the above thread is the original as it almost 3 yrs after the incident occured.
The OP's incident is how I found OCDO as someone at my wife's job told her that my OC'ing was dangerous and someone near us had just got their firearm stolen. So in my search I found that incident and OCDO. Bodhi and I independently researched and got the same answers.

IIRC, the investigators found the firearm in a drawer at the guys house.

I lived on Water Mtn Court.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since this incident first came up it has been discussed at length on OCDO, unfortunately some of the older threads have been lost(?).
Being that I lived around the corner from where this incident supposedly happened myself and another OC'er (he lived about 3/4 mile away) took it upon ourselves to find out if it was true.

What we discovered was that the incident was not as claimed but a ruse.
The gun was not stolen and the alleged victim filed a false report.

We came by this by contacting the Fairfax County PD Sully District, as that is who investigated the claim.
Sorry, I can't remember who I spoke with, it's been a few years.

That is the way I too remember the final outcome - a fraud, a fake, a ruse.