• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Locking thread

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I know "looking for work" is not OC related, but can we have a general thread that is stickied for WA? It would be kind of pointless to post this job search in the regular general thread. We should have our own general thread to be able to help each other out, whether it is to find a job or see who has a truck to help move. My 2 cents. BTW I have my 1911 on my hip while typing this to keep on OC topic, and I'm located in WA.

SeattleWingsfan

I think this is a good idea. I often have something I think about sharing or inquiring about that is not OC related. I restrain myself for fear of being scolded. I understand the reason to limit the types of content on here.

I know there is a lounge section as well as a general conversation section. However I rarely have time to look at anything other than this local washington section. It's people I know or am getting to know. I don't see why it would be a big deal. If I posted someonthing in one of those areas, I bet it would be burried before many of you ever noticed it. I certainly don't weed though stuff in those sections to interact with local people. Would it really make a difference if we had a thread here, or if we started threads in those sections with the heading ATTN. Washington people before the topic.

For instance I had a few handguns I had bought recently but not fired and thought abut posting a couple times to see if someone wanted to go to the range with me. More fun, more people. I guess I could have said anyone want to open carry to the gun range with me and technically been on topic. I also thought about starting a thread to see what different careers people are in. I like supporting people I know, and it also gives me a better idea of who somone is.

Maybe something like this would keep many of the threads from going off topic as often. I'm sure there are people like me that don't use many of the other sections of this site. But might not just lurk if it was easier to converse or add to a conversation without having to know leagal case sites or law references. And like I said. I understand server space, bandwidth, ease of monitoring, etc. But it's an idea, since we are clearly aloud off topic non OC conversations on the server anyway.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Or have Washington Mods, I mean Michigan was given their own mods, and we're only half as dramatic as they've been.

It seems the michigan forum allows off topic threads as long as it's marked "OT" on the title.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Explanation offered regarding locked thread & site policy

First I am speaking individually, not for John Pierce. Still I have developed a good understanding of what and how he wants this forum to operate and rule or judgement calls are made from that perspective. They are never personal. The following is a brief overview consolidated from many years of conversation with John and absorbing knowledge in his classroom.
____________________________________________________________________________-

State Forums = OC happenings, events, dinners, statutes, city ordinances, gun/defense related training. The individual state sub-forums are only for those things that relate specifically to OC within that particular state and for those items that are uniquely appropriate and related to RKBA plus are not common to all the other states. There are other "tests" but those two are the primary ones.

The General Discussion sub forum is for RKBA issues that are not state specific, not about OC, and may occasionally be about long guns or guns in general. It is not a 'general discussion' section as in general conversation about anything one might choose.

The Social Lounge - talk about your favorite movie, a book you read, or why you prefer a certain vehicle. If it doesn't fit anywhere else, the Social Lounge is the last resort sometimes. It was intended/design to allow otherwise off-topic threads/posts. That doesn't imply that there is an anything goes license given there though. The rules, good taste and appropriate for all audiences manual filters will kick in when necessary as well as an occasional judgement call.

The Blog - again not for state specific posts or those that will fit in either Rules of Engagement or the Open Carry Brigade. A blog is either an ongoing stream of thoughts/social commentary by one or more authors most often on one subject or it is an open free-for-all discussion. The latter is a big no-no on OCDO and the former is seldom offered for consideration. I don't know what they future will hold for the continued inclusion of this section.We have a rule against posting for sale, rent, or trade any gun ads by user/members. A number of reasons for that - one being the TOS with those commercial advertisers who help to pay for this site.

That thinking has been expanded to include no vehicle, house, boat et al advertisements including employment needed. If we allow one person to do this, we have to allow everyone - that is only fair, right? The are a lot of people w/o work or who'd like a better job, more pay, better conditions. I feel for them, my own circumstances are on fixed income and I have been at the no income level personally. Our scope is directed primarily/specifically at promoting and defending open carry of properly holstered, normal handguns by LAC etc. etc. We are not Want Ad/Classified Ad site. Are exceptions made in some categories once in a great while? Yes, but by prior approval of the OCDO administrator.

OCDO is not a free speech zone. The revered and much loved 1st Amendment is limited here by the fact that OCDO is private property and Mike & John make the rules allowing us the privilege of posting here - their house, their rules. Mike and John can do as they judge appropriate because they own this place that so many of us call home.

Hope that helps to clear up a few points. This represents but a few of my cliff notes taken from the twelve (12) volume set of unabridged but annotated OCDO rules, regulations, policies, record of called decisions, and list of spammers, agents provocateur, & trolls. A chapter supplement is added monthly. (--Yes I'm kidding--)

Stay tuned for further developments - OCDO just keeps getting better and better.
icon14.png

Last edited:

amzbrady

I think this forums general section would be more awesome if it had a real time text chat. But...

BTW, You should have posted that you were looking for work where you can open carry on the job.

Last edited: