• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School zone for teachers question.

Chuck!

Misinformation is just as, dangerous if not more, to our cause than anti-gunners are.
Anti's only want to outlaw out guns, misinformation will get you jailed,,,,

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

+1 to Chuck.

Let's define "misinformation".

The problem is that what MAY be true in one person's neck of the woods, for THAT specific person and situation, CAN NOT BE PROMULGATED AS "THE LAW".

This means that YOUR information may be TRUE for YOU, but it will get a different person in trouble.

If a cop said it's okay for you to do something, please keep that between you and the cop...and the judge.

Chuck!

This is why we have preemption in Ohio.
So the laws are uniform across the board

I spend a fair amount of time trying to educate LEOs about them,
We should do the same with gun owners,,,,

eye95

Telling the judge that the cop told me it was ok, even if the cop admits saying so, is NOT a defense!

What one cop tells you is ok might get you arrested by another cop and found guilty by a judge. Heck, the cop who told you it was ok could arrest you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

1245A Defender

Wow!

Telling the judge that the cop told me it was ok, even if the cop admits saying so, is NOT a defense!

What one cop tells you is ok might get you arrested by another cop and found guilty by a judge. Heck, the cop who told you it was ok could arrest you.

<o>

Aint that the truth...

P.S. SQTSEYE95WSI somebody quote this so eye95 will see it

MKEgal

NEOOpenCarry said:
I have written a letter of request to our board of education President requesting that he grant me permission in writing to have my weapon secured in a locked car on school ghrounds during school hours.
When speaking to people whom you know or suspect are anti-rights, it's a good idea to use neutral or positive terms.
"Weapon" is negative, connotes aggression & violence.
"Pistol", "self-defense tool", "firearm", or even simply "property" (after you have initially established that you are speaking of a firearm) are all neutral or positive.
Did you also include citation to & quotes from the law which says you can legally have the pistol in your car?
Giving references which support your position makes your argument stronger.

Makarov said:
If you own property across from the school and you are exempt from the 1000 foot rule.
The LAC doesn't have to own the property. Any private property in the magical protection zone is exempt, & anyone on that property is exempt.
If there's a school next to, say, a strip mall (which will probably not be owned by the gov't) the parking lot & stores are exempt.
But if someone decides to walk across the street to the Taco Bell, the second they set foot on the sidewalk or in the street they're in the magical zone & have to have a license. This isn't just Ohio, this is federal law.
It's interesting that Ohio legislators chose to burden the citizens with stricter laws than the feds. (WI did too.) The federal "GF"SZ code says that anyone with a license can carry in the magical zone, & makes no distinction among the street 995' away, the sidewalk in front of the school or the classroom.

Dayton PD arrived at our house within a half hour and they insisted she was in the wrong and threatened to arrest her if she did it again.
FTFY
If she was really in the wrong they would have arrested her.
Someone else pointed out that if she was wrong then she had committed a felony. Except in other LEO, they generally don't ignore felonies. (Offenses which are only a ticket, yeah.)

MyWifeSaidYes

Are "public" sidewalks considered part of school premises? I don't think so, but I don't have any case law to cite one way or the other (TLTLIU)

I would think that remaining on the sidewalk adjacent to the street, and not the school driveway, would be fine if you have a CHL.

If "public" sidewalks ARE part of school premises, don't walk or stand there while carrying.

RT48

My city Engineering Dept has a FAQ on the city web site which contains the following:

Question: Who is responsible for the sidewalk in front of my home?
Answer: The public (right-of-way) sidewalk, although owned by the City is the maintenance responsibility of the property owner.

NEOOpenCarry

An Update

My letter has been received by the BOE and they are in the process of "reviewing the issue" now. The chief of security and liaison to the sheriff's dept wrote me a great letter in support of allowing me to carry as long as I followed those specific guidelines of having it never leave my car and the car be locked at all times. I have submitted that to the board as well. In the meantime I am carrying a KHL 900,000 Volt Stun Gun in my car for my drive to work until we can get this issue resolved. I called the Mahoning County Prosecutor's office to make sure this was legal and they told me that they do not classify stun guns as "deadly weapons" so that it is fine but I cannot take it into the school obviously. Hopefully the board makes a decision soon and I will post it as soon as they do.

eye95

Don't do it!!!

I don't care who tells you that you can. The law says that you can't! All it takes is one complaint or one cop enforcing the letter of the law, and you could lose your freedom, a bunch of money, and your right to carry!

Follow the letter of the law--unless your goal is to become a test case. In that case, I'll be donating to your defense fund because I have been anxiously awaiting someone with the guts to risk prison to test gun-free school zone laws.

<o>

CornfedinOhio

If a stun gun isn't a deadly weapon, why can't you take it inside the school?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk