Thread: The Dalles Home Depot

The Dalles Home Depot

This will be a Readers Digest version.
    I live in The Dalles. I open carry all the time. Not just here in The Dalles but Portland and Vancouver as well. Last Friday The Home Depot here informed me I could no longer open carry in the store contrary to corporate policy. I called the regional office. They elected to stand behind the decision. I decided to have a 3’ x 6’ banner made that said, “ The Dalles Home Depot does not respect our Second Amendment right. Coastal, Tum-A-Lum, and Swayers Hardware do” (local competitors). My plan was to park in front of Home Depot’s property with the banner on the side of my truck. I emailed my story and my banner message to The Home Depot corporate in Atlanta.
    The very next day I get an apology email from them. The local Home Depot’s general manager calls me at home and informs me that corporate called him. I am now very pleased to say open carry in The Dalles Home Depot is alive and well.
    Know this, I don’t believe we need to get crazy and make a scene when this sort of thing happens. I believe we should merely do the next right thing. Now more then ever I believe a firm but friendly protest or the threat of a protest can be effective. I was however 100% prepared to go forward with my threat.

Purlrider

In addition... I feel their response time and their stand speaks volumes about The Home Depot open carry policy.
    yea Home Depot>
    Last edited by purlrider; 10-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Don't be angered by their ignorance. Be polite, your carrying a gun.

PR

Quote Originally Posted by purlrider View Post
    This will be a Readers Digest version.
    I live in The Dalles. I open carry all the time. Not just here in The Dalles but Portland and Vancouver as well. Last Friday The Home Depot here informed me I could no longer open carry in the store contrary to corporate policy. I called the regional office. They elected to stand behind the decision. I decided to have a 3í x 6í banner made that said, ď The Dalles Home Depot does not respect our Second Amendment right. Coastal, Tum-A-Lum, and Swayers Hardware doĒ (local competitors). My plan was to park in front of Home Depotís property with the banner on the side of my truck. I emailed my story and my banner message to The Home Depot corporate in Atlanta.
    The very next day I get an apology email from them. The local Home Depotís general manager calls me at home and informs me that corporate called him. I am now very pleased to say open carry in The Dalles Home Depot is alive and well.
    Know this, I donít believe we need to get crazy and make a scene when this sort of thing happens. I believe we should merely do the next right thing. Now more then ever I believe a firm but friendly protest or the threat of a protest can be effective. I was however 100% prepared to go forward with my threat.

Purlrider
    Interesting, I was in that HD last weekend for opening weekend (modern rifle, deer in Washington). I was there for easy 1/2 hour while buying some parts for my trailer. We were assisted by a very nice older guy in plumbing the entire time. Nothing was ever said.

Now if you could address Cousins. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Report/page13
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Interesting, I was in that HD last weekend for opening weekend (modern rifle, deer in Washington). I was there for easy 1/2 hour while buying some parts for my trailer. We were assisted by a very nice older guy in plumbing the entire time. Nothing was ever said.

Now if you could address Cousins. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Report/page13

I actually used to work at this Home Depot as well. The older guy's name is Warren. My One works there still. There is were she and I met. The decision was made by a couple underling managers while the general was on vacation (although he did at first side with them). As I understand most of the employees did not agree with the decision, so I am sure non would say anything. I see the whole event as nothing more then an over zealous power play that back fired.
    Don't be angered by their ignorance. Be polite, your carrying a gun.

PR

Thumbs up

That was a great idea purlrider, good for you.

Sounds like the correct response to something that should never have happened to me.

Hmm, interesting. I havn't bothered OCing in a Home Despot since the Oak Harbor one demanded I conceal (which looked absolutely ridiculous) & leave.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I havn't bothered OCing in a Home Despot since the Oak Harbor one demanded I conceal (which looked absolutely ridiculous) & leave.
    That is one place I have not walked into while OCing.