• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Dalles Home Depot

purlrider

This will be a Readers Digest version.
I live in The Dalles. I open carry all the time. Not just here in The Dalles but Portland and Vancouver as well. Last Friday The Home Depot here informed me I could no longer open carry in the store contrary to corporate policy. I called the regional office. They elected to stand behind the decision. I decided to have a 3’ x 6’ banner made that said, “ The Dalles Home Depot does not respect our Second Amendment right. Coastal, Tum-A-Lum, and Swayers Hardware do” (local competitors). My plan was to park in front of Home Depot’s property with the banner on the side of my truck. I emailed my story and my banner message to The Home Depot corporate in Atlanta.
The very next day I get an apology email from them. The local Home Depot’s general manager calls me at home and informs me that corporate called him. I am now very pleased to say open carry in The Dalles Home Depot is alive and well.
Know this, I don’t believe we need to get crazy and make a scene when this sort of thing happens. I believe we should merely do the next right thing. Now more then ever I believe a firm but friendly protest or the threat of a protest can be effective. I was however 100% prepared to go forward with my threat.

Purlrider

In addition... I feel their response time and their stand speaks volumes about The Home Depot open carry policy.
yea Home Depot>

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
This will be a Readers Digest version.
I live in The Dalles. I open carry all the time. Not just here in The Dalles but Portland and Vancouver as well. Last Friday The Home Depot here informed me I could no longer open carry in the store contrary to corporate policy. I called the regional office. They elected to stand behind the decision. I decided to have a 3’ x 6’ banner made that said, “ The Dalles Home Depot does not respect our Second Amendment right. Coastal, Tum-A-Lum, and Swayers Hardware do” (local competitors). My plan was to park in front of Home Depot’s property with the banner on the side of my truck. I emailed my story and my banner message to The Home Depot corporate in Atlanta.
The very next day I get an apology email from them. The local Home Depot’s general manager calls me at home and informs me that corporate called him. I am now very pleased to say open carry in The Dalles Home Depot is alive and well.
Know this, I don’t believe we need to get crazy and make a scene when this sort of thing happens. I believe we should merely do the next right thing. Now more then ever I believe a firm but friendly protest or the threat of a protest can be effective. I was however 100% prepared to go forward with my threat.

Purlrider

Interesting, I was in that HD last weekend for opening weekend (modern rifle, deer in Washington). I was there for easy 1/2 hour while buying some parts for my trailer. We were assisted by a very nice older guy in plumbing the entire time. Nothing was ever said.

Now if you could address Cousins. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?62873-The-Open-Carry-Report/page13

purlrider

Interesting, I was in that HD last weekend for opening weekend (modern rifle, deer in Washington). I was there for easy 1/2 hour while buying some parts for my trailer. We were assisted by a very nice older guy in plumbing the entire time. Nothing was ever said.

Now if you could address Cousins. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?62873-The-Open-Carry-Report/page13

I actually used to work at this Home Depot as well. The older guy's name is Warren. My One works there still. There is were she and I met. The decision was made by a couple underling managers while the general was on vacation (although he did at first side with them). As I understand most of the employees did not agree with the decision, so I am sure non would say anything. I see the whole event as nothing more then an over zealous power play that back fired.