• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

“I didn’t know he was freakin’ diabetic!”

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I thought (I know, a cardinal sin) that cops were taught at least something about differentiating between drunken drivers and those who might be acting "strange" for reasons other than alcohol. The car was stopped. The driver had just been in a crash, which could have caused a head injury. The crash could have injured the driver's hands/arms, or caused the seat belt to jam (been in all three of those situations after a crash - thankfully not all at the same time).

This also brings home the excalating insistance by cops with instantaneous obedience to commands with force compliance being the first (only?) response to not doing as they say. 23 seconds to get out of the car when in an obvious disoriented state? Less than 7 seconds to answer a search warrant knock on the door?

Yes, 23 seconds is a long time (just hold your breath for 23 seconds if you want to test how long it can feel like). But even on my good days it can take me 23 seconds - or longer - to put the car in Park, shut off the engine, unlatch my seat belt, figure out which button unlucks the doors, and pull the handle. (And I truely fear what's going to happen when some over-excited cop in a hurry sees me reaching down on the floor for my cane.:eek:)

Cops are not Drill Instructors, this is not Boot Camp, and the only proper response when a cop tells you to junp is not to ask "How high?"

If there is anybody out there who cannot make the connection between what happened in this situation and OCing, please PM me so I can offer you some extended insights. I may not be the expert on the subject, but I have experience that might shed some light.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

Five Grand~~that's all the attorney got for the kid, it should have been 10 or 100 times that amount. The cop should have lost his job, there is no excuse for tazing just for not getting out of a car.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Five Grand~~that's all the attorney got for the kid, it should have been 10 or 100 times that amount. The cop should have lost his job, there is no excuse for tazing just for not getting out of a car.

As I recall, these devices were originally touted as less-lethal means to get combative suspects under control. Clearly police now use them as pain-compliance devices.

We should call them what they are: electronic whips.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The cop should not be a cop. He KNEW something was medically wrong with the guy ... I would have assumed a concussion myself. But you ain't gonna cure any medical condition with 40,000 volts, right?

Firing with cop will result in better attention by cops than watching a 5 minute video once.

Who was this guy's lawyer? An idiot, that's who.

Settling for 5K ... which 2 goes to the lawyer .. so 3K in his pocket. 3K is nothing.

Someone else had a medical condition .. the condition of "crazy cop syndrome" ... figure out who.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The cop should not be a cop. He KNEW something was medically wrong with the guy ... I would have assumed a concussion myself. But you ain't gonna cure any medical condition with 40,000 volts, right?

Firing with cop will result in better attention by cops than watching a 5 minute video once.

Who was this guy's lawyer? An idiot, that's who.

Settling for 5K ... which 2 goes to the lawyer .. so 3K in his pocket. 3K is nothing.

Someone else had a medical condition .. the condition of "crazy cop syndrome" ... figure out who.

Oh, lord, don't start that. Next, some police unions will be claiming that cops with CCS should have our sympathy. And, taxpayers will end up footing the bill for psych treatment as soon as a code number is assigned to the condition for medical insurance purposes by the psychs.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Oh, lord, don't start that. Next, some police unions will be claiming that cops with CCS should have our sympathy. And, taxpayers will end up footing the bill for psych treatment as soon as a code number is assigned to the condition for medical insurance purposes by the psychs.

ROFL ... cause I just looked up the PD's mission statement:

MISSION STATEMENT

We, the members of the Cleburne Police Department, with the support of the citizens of this community, will strive to improve the quality of life by enforcing all laws without prejudice or bias, with respect for the rights of all people, to assure a safe and secure community for all. We will provide professional police services by focusing on the Six Core Values of Law Enforcement. These core values are Integrity, Truth, Respect, Honesty, Courage, and Compassion. Together, we can make a difference

Oh, they make a difference all right ... I left a comment on the webpage linked with OP's 1st post...

Fallschirjmäger

When you think about it, the "nominal" awards of $5,000 and $10,000 do Absolutely Nothing to influence the behavior of an officer or a department.

A) The officer doesn't pay a dime of the award, it's paid by the department, the union, the insurance agency.

B) The department doesn't care:
Consider that a department local to me has a budget of just under 40,000,000 and they pay a penalty of $5,000 with no admission of guilt, no apology, just a 'here's some money; now go away."

Now, contrast and compare that to someone with a hypothetical income of 40,000 and the penalty for exceeding the speed limit by more than 15mph is 5.00 with no points on their license and no reporting to their insurance company.

How much of an effect do you think that would have on altering someone's behavior?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

I cannot tell you how bold this thought is in my head. The pittance of an aftermath is the most unbelievable part of this story.