• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC won, CADL lost. Victory!!!

MI_XD

Congrats on the win MOC!

Now, is it just me, or is anyone else feeling the strange urge to go check out a book from the Library? :D

MI_XD

DanM

". . . the majority rejects that the plain words of the statute mean what they say. In so
ruling, the majority ignores the text, and instead divines from highly-selective legislative history
and the majority’s own notion of public good . . ."
--Judge Elizabeth Gleicher, in dissent.

So, the libtard judge all of a sudden now is a Scalia-esque textualist?

Doesn't she realize how blatantly obvious her disingenuousness is?

HKcarrier

So, the libtard judge all of a sudden now is a Scalia-esque textualist?

Doesn't she realize how blatantly obvious her disingenuousness is?

No, it doesn't directly, plainly call out libraries, but in the pre-amble to the law they lay out that the STATE ITSELF it to be the only entity to have the power to regulate firearms. Does she expect an all inclusive list that would also include agencies or entities that have not been created or even pondered yet? What an incredibly unintelligent dissension. It's clear the intent of the law was to grant the STATE and ONLY THE STATE the powers of regulation. How can this be interpreted any other way!?

This is a great win.

ETA: The MLIVE article -WRONGLY- states that MOC filed suit against CADL.

Please email Mr. Oosting and urge him to correct his mistake immediately.

Here's my e-mail:

Mr. Oosting,

Please immediately post a correction for this article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/michigan_court_of_appeals_owne.html

Michigan Open Carry (MOC) absolutely DID NOT file suit against the Capital Area District Library (CADL)

City of Lansing police were not enforcing the CADL weapons ban because their ban was ILLEGAL. People were carrying in the library (much to their chagrin) and they were upset the police were not doing anything. (no laws were being broken)

CADL was the one who filed suit. CADL was the one who brought this ERRONEOUS lawsuit against MOC and it's members and ALL the people of the state of Michigan. CADL was the one who wasted over $100,000.00 of tax payers money fighting something that was NOT ILLEGAL in the first place.

Please post this correction immediately.

Thank you!!!!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Best news I could have received today, I am down recovering from major surgery to solve the headaches (removed disc in neck impinged on spinal cord and fused C5-C6 vertebrae).

Dang that sucks ... hope it solves your problems and for a speedy recovery.

Keep the Faith!

lil_freak_66

does a hellpup count as pistol? =P
(im kidding dont worry)

ill most likely be carrying my star m43 9mm.

one should note they can and probably will still ban knives and pepper spray, using that as away to try to restrict firearm carriers, since most of us usually carry a knife of some sort...leave that in the car

Last edited:

detroit_fan

(im kidding dont worry)

one should note they can and probably will still ban knives and pepper spray, using that as away to try to restrict firearm carriers, since most of us usually carry a knife of some sort...leave that in the car

i agree, they are going to try to get us on anything they can, so i would watch the knives(what are knife ordinances in that county/city?)

Last edited:

DanM

Their code of conduct on the web still says:
"3. All weapons are banned from Library premises to the fullest extent permitted by law."
http://www.cadl.org/about/policy/policy-SER103.pdf

Their administrative office phone is 517-367-6300, option 2. I'm calling now to tell them to take that crap DOWN!

Just got off the phone. Transcript:

Receptionist: [Some greeting I can't remember.]

Me: "Your code of conduct on your website says 'All weapons are banned . . .'. The court of appeals struck that down, so you need to take that down off your website."

Receptionist [Pause] . . . "I'll transfer you to the Director."

Director: [Some greeting I can't remember.]

Me: "Your code of conduct on your website says 'All weapons are banned . . .'. The court of appeals struck that down, so you need to take that down off your website."

Director: "On the front door? We've taken the injunction notice down."

Me: "No. Your code of conduct on your website still says 'All weapons are banned . . .'.

Director: "[Stammering] Uh . . . err . . . ok."

Me: "Bye." [Click! Hung up the phone.]

Ahhhh, that was SO SATISFYING!

Last edited:

TheQ

We (the leadership of Michigan Open Carry, Inc) are asking people to just go about their daily lives. If you have legitimate business in the Library that you were otherwise going to do, by all means conduct your business carrying a firearm in a manner you feel fit. That being said we are explicitly asking people to behave in a mature, professional manner and NOT go there in mass to make a scene or a circus. We feel this would be a poor reflection on all open carriers and all guns owners.

We are all free people and I hope you will consider your course of action carefully.

Congrats on the win MOC!

Now, is it just me, or is anyone else feeling the strange urge to go check out a book from the Library? :D

MI_XD

looks like ill be renewing my library card tonight.

Looks like the guy changed the article after my e-mail... no need to spam him now. :) Quick service!!!

Going to the library because you need to go there is one thing.

A special "IN YOUR FACE" trip just is bad form. Just sayin...

(im kidding dont worry)

TheQ

Best news I could have received today, I am down recovering from major surgery to solve the headaches (removed disc in neck impinged on spinal cord and fused C5-C6 vertebrae).

A heartfelt thanks to the Attorneys that did the work here. The same goes out to those who helped in whatever respect they did.

I was hopeful that the COA would find this way, although the mood that day in the court was less than hopeful.

As firearm owners, we all won.

A special thanks to the donors (I won't name names here) who made donations both large and small.

TheQ

What ever happened to the MGO vs CADL lawsuit?

It was dismissed for a lack a debatable question. CADL claimed in that action they were not banning CC. MGO's action was expressly about CC. Since CADL wasn't banning CC, there was not matter for the Court to decide.