• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[Off Topic] Disaster prepardness Drill and OC precautions

DrakeZ07

I know this is considered off-topic from Open carry, but it is state-specific, and of a concern for other KY Oc'ers to watch out for and monitor in their own counties.

Just want to make known, that on October 28th-30th, there will be disaster preparedness and response drills conducted In Menifee Co.; Word from a friend is that it will be over-watched by the National Guard, along with FEMA, and there will be gun-free zones around and within the shelters during the drills, and for the duration that the shelters will be in place for the arrival and impact of Hurricane Sandy.

I believe this to be something for other OC'ers to take notice of, and perhaps do a lil passive 'watching' within their own counties, or if they wish to help those of us responding and volunteering in a medical and/or non-medical capacity, to have handy video and audio recorders to ensure no violations of our rights occur. Though I'm unsure of the extent of involvement from the federal level, or from any military branches, would it not be best to be prepared and to keep a watchful eye? Especially considering that the Owingsville PD Chief is said to be helping with the drills.

I'll have more information later regarding exact time, and place. And I for one, will be keeping an eye on the proceedings during my volunteering with audo/video recordings, and while Open Carrying.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I know this is considered off-topic from Open carry, but it is state-specific, and of a concern for other KY Oc'ers to watch out for and monitor in their own counties.

Just want to make known, that on October 28th-30th, there will be disaster preparedness and response drills conducted In Menifee Co.; Word from a friend is that it will be over-watched by the National Guard, along with FEMA, and there will be gun-free zones around and within the shelters during the drills, and for the duration that the shelters will be in place for the arrival and impact of Hurricane Sandy.

I believe this to be something for other OC'ers to take notice of, and perhaps do a lil passive 'watching' within their own counties, or if they wish to help those of us responding and volunteering in a medical and/or non-medical capacity, to have handy video and audio recorders to ensure no violations of our rights occur. Though I'm unsure of the extent of involvement from the federal level, or from any military branches, would it not be best to be prepared and to keep a watchful eye? Especially considering that the Owingsville PD Chief is said to be helping with the drills.

I'll have more information later regarding exact time, and place. And I for one, will be keeping an eye on the proceedings during my volunteering with audo/video recordings, and while Open Carrying.

If these shelters are county owned, then a ban on the carrying of firearms is completely illegal and unconstitutional. Do you know if these activities will be taking place on government property, and if so, what government body is in control of said property?

self preservation

All of the disaster prep drills that I have ever been a part of over the last 18 years has been done by county E.M. (emergency management) or by CSEPP (Chemical stockpile emergency preparedness program) I don't recall ever being part of a drill conducted by FEMA or the National Guard, so this intrigues me. Not to make this a resume but I have spent 18 years as a volunteer Firefighter, 10 years as a career Firefighter, 12 years as an E.M.T., 4 years as a volunteer Fire Chief and 7 years as a hazardous material technician.(all concurrent I might add) So I will without a doubt check on this. Over the years I have come to know emergency responders from just about every county in KY, so I will see if I can get some first hand info in this.

As far as the Owingsville PD Chief helping.....I have NEVER worked a drill with him in our hometown, so this is weird to me as well. Let me shoot some emails to my brethren in Menifee Co and I will report as soon as I find something out.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
All of the disaster prep drills that I have ever been a part of over the last 18 years has been done by county E.M. (emergency management) or by CSEPP (Chemical stockpile emergency preparedness program) I don't recall ever being part of a drill conducted by FEMA or the National Guard, so this intrigues me. Not to make this a resume but I have spent 18 years as a volunteer Firefighter, 10 years as a career Firefighter, 12 years as an E.M.T., 4 years as a volunteer Fire Chief and 7 years as a hazardous material technician.(all concurrent I might add) So I will without a doubt check on this. Over the years I have come to know emergency responders from just about every county in KY, so I will see if I can get some first hand info in this.

As far as the Owingsville PD Chief helping.....I have NEVER worked a drill with him in our hometown, so this is weird to me as well. Let me shoot some emails to my brethren in Menifee Co and I will report as soon as I find something out.

FEMA and the National Guard have been involved in numerous training exercises together during the past year or so, and it is incredibly alarming. These different agencies have conducted night and day operations in numerous cities across the country, and they often do so without alerting the public about such events, and normally scare the locals. They have been training with numerous types of helicopters, live ammunition, flash-bangs, and other weapons and accessories. FEMA has just recently graduated their first group of "Homeland Security Youth Corps" which is something I find very disturbing; these young men and women are nothing more than a standing army inside of our borders. Add to these activities the purchase of nearly 1,000,000,000 rounds of ammunition within the last year and things really start to look troubling. People can say what they want, but with the Executive orders Obama has been signing, the legislation that congress has passed over the past couple years, the odd behavior coming from the alphabet agencies, and the neglect of Congress by the Federal administration, things look more than suspicious to those that care to look and don't allow the media to control their thoughts. You can find video of these "training" sessions on Youtube, and purchase orders for the ammunition and other "military" gear on the website www.fbo.gov.

DrakeZ07

You are right. This deserves close scrutiny. Have you seen these orders in writing? If yes, who signed the order? How was the order posted, letter, poster, sign? Who has ordered these "gun-free zones"? Who will be enforcing these zones? Who owns the shelters?

For legal purposes [Non-disclosure Agreement that restricts sensitive information] I cannot give names, or provide documented proof, without a fear that it could come back on me, and I could face repercussions for leaking State/Federal information. I read through the NDA I signed, along with my BF, Mother, and Brother, and the information I provided was not explicitly outlined as being forbidden to reveal, be it a loop hole, or something over-looked by people who think those involved as volunteers as being idiots.

If these shelters are county owned, then a ban on the carrying of firearms is completely illegal and unconstitutional. Do you know if these activities will be taking place on government property, and if so, what government body is in control of said property?

I know such restrictions on County/city/local/state-owned land/buildings are illegal, and unconstitutional, But that doesn't automatically mean our "Emergency co-ordinators", or other higher ups, are going to follow the rules to the proverbial 'T'.

FEMA and the National Guard have been involved in numerous training exercises together during the past year or so, and it is incredibly alarming. These different agencies have conducted night and day operations in numerous cities across the country, and they often do so without alerting the public about such events, and normally scare the locals. They have been training with numerous types of helicopters, live ammunition, flash-bangs, and other weapons and accessories. FEMA has just recently graduated their first group of "Homeland Security Youth Corps" which is something I find very disturbing; these young men and women are nothing more than a standing army inside of our borders. Add to these activities the purchase of nearly 1,000,000,000 rounds of ammunition within the last year and things really start to look troubling. People can say what they want, but with the Executive orders Obama has been signing, the legislation that congress has passed over the past couple years, the odd behavior coming from the alphabet agencies, and the neglect of Congress by the Federal administration, things look more than suspicious to those that care to look and don't allow the media to control their thoughts. You can find video of these "training" sessions on Youtube, and purchase orders for the ammunition and other "military" gear on the website www.fbo.gov.

Glockster is very correct on this; Another thing to point out, SP, is that these drills, and disaster preparedness "events", is not ran by County EM's, they are funded, and over-seen by Federal Agencies. Who give dates, and orders to the State, the state picks a location, and gives it to a County Coordinator who acts as the 'team leader', who tells participants what to do, where to go, what time, and how long we are to remain.

I've had a very long day, and I'm sorry for not responding sooner, there is a boatload of wonders than a three hour bubble bath can do to a person~ <3