Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Be safe with sandy.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Be safe with sandy.

    Thoughts n prayers for those on the east coast of Va. Be safe.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Heart of Appalachia
    Posts
    77
    What's the more refined landfall estimate? Delaware?

    Perhaps the tropical storm/cat I Sandy will continue to remain offshore and we'll be limited to primarily heavy rain and storm surges. Looked like nearly a full moon last night so the tides will be higher than normal.

    Still, not to be taken too lightly and I echo mpguy's sentiments.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    It's not just the coastal areas where you need to be cautious.

    Richmond still, in spite of millions of stimulated dollars, still has an atrocious storm serwer system that backs up/gets blocked during a 1/10th-inch shower, leaving lakes that remain for days afterwards. There are portions of the city where they have installed pumps that make those recently put in New Orleans look like hand-cranked fish-tank drainers and still they get flooded. There are other parts of the state where low areas get flooded, creeks/streams/rivers rise and generally life becomes miserable if there is a lot of water all at once.

    To keep the thread OC-related - as part of your storm preps remember to renew the moisture protection you normally give your carry piece, and think about carrying a dry rag/towel (in a plastic baggie?). http://www.towel.org.uk/

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: Be safe with sandy.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Enthusiast View Post
    What's the more refined landfall estimate? Delaware?

    Perhaps the tropical storm/cat I Sandy will continue to remain offshore and we'll be limited to primarily heavy rain and storm surges. Looked like nearly a full moon last night so the tides will be higher than normal.

    Still, not to be taken too lightly and I echo mpguy's sentiments.
    Delaware bay last i heard.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by mpguy; 10-27-2012 at 07:53 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member USNA69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    375
    Of most concern are long-term power outages due to prolonged wind and rain, as was the case with Isabel.

    I expect that power restoration assets will be focused on the densely populated northeast, which may delay restoration in SE Virginia.

    Hoping my generator and 20 gallons of gas can see me through.

    Oh, yes ... OC related: It would be very unwise and quite risky to be sniffing around my generator or gas cans on my property.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Kevin108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    353
    Went by Walmart at Chesapeake Square this morning. The canned goods were heavily diminished. There were no flashlights or D batteries left. I bought some of the tuna kits I normally eat for lunch along with some vienna sausages and hand sanitizer. They were reasonably well-stocked on ammo. I grabbed a 100-round box of WWB 115 and 50 Remington 25 ACP. I still plan to go back out later for lunch and a handful of non-essentials.

  7. #7
    Regular Member half_life1052's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    Of most concern are long-term power outages due to prolonged wind and rain, as was the case with Isabel.

    I expect that power restoration assets will be focused on the densely populated northeast, which may delay restoration in SE Virginia.

    Hoping my generator and 20 gallons of gas can see me through.

    Oh, yes ... OC related: It would be very unwise and quite risky to be sniffing around my generator or gas cans on my property.
    Looking at your tagline -- Always dial 1911 first. It will give you the time you need to dial 911

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: Be safe with sandy.

    Taking my family to my parents this weekend. We have a diesel generator that will more than do the whole house. Just got a call from my boss, it's raining at his part of Va. Beach now.

    Didn't realize, I posted this here. What i get for being half sleep lol. Sorry skid.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
    Went by Walmart at Chesapeake Square this morning. The canned goods were heavily diminished. There were no flashlights or D batteries left. I bought some of the tuna kits I normally eat for lunch along with some vienna sausages and hand sanitizer. They were reasonably well-stocked on ammo. I grabbed a 100-round box of WWB 115 and 50 Remington 25 ACP. I still plan to go back out later for lunch and a handful of non-essentials.
    If you need stuff, our walmarts here in Chesapeake by Grassfield/NC have more stuff, less crowded. I also bought a few boxes of ammo.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    The wind and surf is starting to kick up at the beach and some power out now.
    Surry is just starting to get some wind.
    Just have a breeze in central Va so far and Bluebirds are singing at the farm.

    Hope everyone is OK through this. I think about 2 hours before the rain starts in the burbs. Chesterfield will start in a few minutes.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach VA
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

    as part of your storm preps remember to renew the moisture protection you normally give your carry piece, and think about carrying a dry rag/towel (in a plastic baggie?).
    Yesterday, I just finished putting together a small cleaning kit one for my wife and one for myself that includes a towel in a ziploc for times like these. Snugly fit in a pouch small enough for a glove box.

  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Tappahanock is getting slammed and the James River Bridge is nearly under water.




  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    God must Love Chesterfield

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Tappahanock is getting slammed and the James River Bridge is nearly under water.



    Through Isabel and Gaston, the worst thing I had was 20 minutes without power and 9 days of intermittent cable service. 1/4 mile away, one of my buddies lost power for 9 days.

    I actually bought water and gas supplies this time and checked to make sure my ammunition was dry. I open carried all during the previous incidents without any problems everywhere I went.

    The state has closed all Richmond offices including VCU and MCV, but never fear, the ABC stores will all be open!

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Through Isabel and Gaston, the worst thing I had was 20 minutes without power and 9 days of intermittent cable service. 1/4 mile away, one of my buddies lost power for 9 days.

    I actually bought water and gas supplies this time and checked to make sure my ammunition was dry. I open carried all during the previous incidents without any problems everywhere I went.

    The state has closed all Richmond offices including VCU and MCV, but never fear, the ABC stores will all be open!
    The damn thing has slowed down again Taz. I've been trying to get a handle on this storm for the last 48 hours and now it looks like it's turning but it will be later today when central Va gets the major part of it. The farm will miss most of it so black powder season will start as planned.

    I talked to some power people a few hours ago and the outages were still minimal on the coast. We will have to wait a few more hours to see what happens.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Just a reminder

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The damn thing has slowed down again Taz. I've been trying to get a handle on this storm for the last 48 hours and now it looks like it's turning but it will be later today when central Va gets the major part of it. The farm will miss most of it so black powder season will start as planned.

    I talked to some power people a few hours ago and the outages were still minimal on the coast. We will have to wait a few more hours to see what happens.
    I know all you folk think you are tough, but Big Bad Sandy is headed your way. (I have lived with the REAL Hurricane Sandy for over 30 years- Gr8Legsís sister) Even though she will be down-graded by the time she hits, there is still strong winds and lots of rain that can cause flooding to worry about.

    Us Southern folk are used to these things so I figured I should warn y'all. It is a good idea to have 1 gal of water per person per day and "non-perishable food" for 3 days on hand. (Don't forget the petís water and food too)

    Spare batteries, flashlights, and large sheets of plastic and of course DUCT TAPE are handy to have around in case of leaks.

    Remember, 6" of running water on the road can move a car, so be careful. Hydroplaning is a dangerous possibility. Remember to keep your guns as dry as possible if you are out and about and take a dry rag with you.

    Please be careful and stay safe.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: Be safe with sandy.

    Last i heard its turning farther south.. toward Delaware bay. It's pouring here in Suffolk bad...downtown Main St. By McDonalds is underwater.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  17. #17
    Regular Member Kevin108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    353

    Re: Be safe with sandy.

    How long have been in Suffolk? Main St always floods!

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    We can only hope that NYC gets wiped off the planet.


    Oh, did I say I hate NYC? Well, now you know.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Tappahanock is getting slammed and the James River Bridge is nearly under water.

    ]
    Sandy Beach Road .... classic ...

    1:30 pm Monday in CT ... power went out for a minute, back on. No leaves on the trees so I expect a different result than Irene.

    Its water, its wind .. no big deal.

    Now they are saying that the storm is going to get into our bedrooms and steal our children! Oh brother.

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sandy Beach Road .... classic ...

    1:30 pm Monday in CT ... power went out for a minute, back on. No leaves on the trees so I expect a different result than Irene.

    Its water, its wind .. no big deal.

    Now they are saying that the storm is going to get into our bedrooms and steal our children! Oh brother.
    Just got back from Tapphanock. Water is way up. I went for a little swim. Deltaville is pretty rough and now the wind is picking up in Hanover,

    No power outages anywhere I videoed.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I went for a little swim.
    By design?

    Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    By design?

    Roscoe
    No!

  23. #23
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543

    Deltaville...

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Just got back from Tapphanock. Water is way up. I went for a little swim. Deltaville is pretty rough and now the wind is picking up in Hanover,

    No power outages anywhere I videoed.
    I've spent many good summers just north of Deltaville, in Hardyville, the family home of my uncle, JJ Hardy. Used to love going down to Deltaville on a Satuday morning and listening to the "old guys" having coffee at the drug store... Now I *am* one of the old guys. We fished in the Pianketank (sp?) and always admired the Hornet moored in the creek. Uncle JJ's house (actually, his father's house) had no running water and a two-holer out back... Saturday night meant dinner at Lowry's or the buffet in Deltaville ... what great memories...

  24. #24
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    A few frame grabs.






  25. #25
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Power was out here for a while. just came back on. Trees and lines down everywhere. Low areas under water but were ok. Fire and EMS only going out for life threats until passed. Everyone stay safe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •