• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be safe with sandy.

1911 Enthusiast

What's the more refined landfall estimate? Delaware?

Perhaps the tropical storm/cat I Sandy will continue to remain offshore and we'll be limited to primarily heavy rain and storm surges. Looked like nearly a full moon last night so the tides will be higher than normal.

Still, not to be taken too lightly and I echo mpguy's sentiments.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's not just the coastal areas where you need to be cautious.

Richmond still, in spite of millions of stimulated dollars, still has an atrocious storm serwer system that backs up/gets blocked during a 1/10th-inch shower, leaving lakes that remain for days afterwards. There are portions of the city where they have installed pumps that make those recently put in New Orleans look like hand-cranked fish-tank drainers and still they get flooded. There are other parts of the state where low areas get flooded, creeks/streams/rivers rise and generally life becomes miserable if there is a lot of water all at once.

To keep the thread OC-related - as part of your storm preps remember to renew the moisture protection you normally give your carry piece, and think about carrying a dry rag/towel (in a plastic baggie?). http://www.towel.org.uk/

stay safe.

mpguy

What's the more refined landfall estimate? Delaware?

Perhaps the tropical storm/cat I Sandy will continue to remain offshore and we'll be limited to primarily heavy rain and storm surges. Looked like nearly a full moon last night so the tides will be higher than normal.

Still, not to be taken too lightly and I echo mpguy's sentiments.

Delaware bay last i heard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

USNA69

Of most concern are long-term power outages due to prolonged wind and rain, as was the case with Isabel.

I expect that power restoration assets will be focused on the densely populated northeast, which may delay restoration in SE Virginia.

Hoping my generator and 20 gallons of gas can see me through.

Oh, yes ... OC related: It would be very unwise and quite risky to be sniffing around my generator or gas cans on my property.

Kevin108

Went by Walmart at Chesapeake Square this morning. The canned goods were heavily diminished. There were no flashlights or D batteries left. I bought some of the tuna kits I normally eat for lunch along with some vienna sausages and hand sanitizer. They were reasonably well-stocked on ammo. I grabbed a 100-round box of WWB 115 and 50 Remington 25 ACP. I still plan to go back out later for lunch and a handful of non-essentials.

half_life1052

Of most concern are long-term power outages due to prolonged wind and rain, as was the case with Isabel.

I expect that power restoration assets will be focused on the densely populated northeast, which may delay restoration in SE Virginia.

Hoping my generator and 20 gallons of gas can see me through.

Oh, yes ... OC related: It would be very unwise and quite risky to be sniffing around my generator or gas cans on my property.

Looking at your tagline -- Always dial 1911 first. It will give you the time you need to dial 911 :lol:

mpguy

Taking my family to my parents this weekend. We have a diesel generator that will more than do the whole house. Just got a call from my boss, it's raining at his part of Va. Beach now.

Didn't realize, I posted this here. What i get for being half sleep lol. Sorry skid.

ocholsteroc

Went by Walmart at Chesapeake Square this morning. The canned goods were heavily diminished. There were no flashlights or D batteries left. I bought some of the tuna kits I normally eat for lunch along with some vienna sausages and hand sanitizer. They were reasonably well-stocked on ammo. I grabbed a 100-round box of WWB 115 and 50 Remington 25 ACP. I still plan to go back out later for lunch and a handful of non-essentials.

If you need stuff, our walmarts here in Chesapeake by Grassfield/NC have more stuff, less crowded. I also bought a few boxes of ammo.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The wind and surf is starting to kick up at the beach and some power out now.
Surry is just starting to get some wind.
Just have a breeze in central Va so far and Bluebirds are singing at the farm.

Hope everyone is OK through this. I think about 2 hours before the rain starts in the burbs. Chesterfield will start in a few minutes.

kord

as part of your storm preps remember to renew the moisture protection you normally give your carry piece, and think about carrying a dry rag/towel (in a plastic baggie?).

Yesterday, I just finished putting together a small cleaning kit one for my wife and one for myself that includes a towel in a ziploc for times like these. Snugly fit in a pouch small enough for a glove box.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Tappahanock is getting slammed and the James River Bridge is nearly under water.

attachment.php

sandy5_zps20a49027.jpg

va_tazdad

God must Love Chesterfield

Tappahanock is getting slammed and the James River Bridge is nearly under water.

attachment.php

sandy5_zps20a49027.jpg

Through Isabel and Gaston, the worst thing I had was 20 minutes without power and 9 days of intermittent cable service. 1/4 mile away, one of my buddies lost power for 9 days.

I actually bought water and gas supplies this time and checked to make sure my ammunition was dry. I open carried all during the previous incidents without any problems everywhere I went.

The state has closed all Richmond offices including VCU and MCV, but never fear, the ABC stores will all be open!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Through Isabel and Gaston, the worst thing I had was 20 minutes without power and 9 days of intermittent cable service. 1/4 mile away, one of my buddies lost power for 9 days.

I actually bought water and gas supplies this time and checked to make sure my ammunition was dry. I open carried all during the previous incidents without any problems everywhere I went.

The state has closed all Richmond offices including VCU and MCV, but never fear, the ABC stores will all be open!

The damn thing has slowed down again Taz. I've been trying to get a handle on this storm for the last 48 hours and now it looks like it's turning but it will be later today when central Va gets the major part of it. The farm will miss most of it so black powder season will start as planned.

I talked to some power people a few hours ago and the outages were still minimal on the coast. We will have to wait a few more hours to see what happens.

va_tazdad

Just a reminder

The damn thing has slowed down again Taz. I've been trying to get a handle on this storm for the last 48 hours and now it looks like it's turning but it will be later today when central Va gets the major part of it. The farm will miss most of it so black powder season will start as planned.

I talked to some power people a few hours ago and the outages were still minimal on the coast. We will have to wait a few more hours to see what happens.

I know all you folk think you are tough, but Big Bad Sandy is headed your way. (I have lived with the REAL Hurricane Sandy for over 30 years- Gr8Legs’s sister) Even though she will be down-graded by the time she hits, there is still strong winds and lots of rain that can cause flooding to worry about.

Us Southern folk are used to these things so I figured I should warn y'all. It is a good idea to have 1 gal of water per person per day and "non-perishable food" for 3 days on hand. (Don't forget the pet’s water and food too)

Spare batteries, flashlights, and large sheets of plastic and of course DUCT TAPE are handy to have around in case of leaks.

Remember, 6" of running water on the road can move a car, so be careful. Hydroplaning is a dangerous possibility. Remember to keep your guns as dry as possible if you are out and about and take a dry rag with you.

Please be careful and stay safe.

mpguy

Last i heard its turning farther south.. toward Delaware bay. It's pouring here in Suffolk bad...downtown Main St. By McDonalds is underwater.

davidmcbeth

Banned

]

Sandy Beach Road .... classic ...

1:30 pm Monday in CT ... power went out for a minute, back on. No leaves on the trees so I expect a different result than Irene.

Its water, its wind .. no big deal.

Now they are saying that the storm is going to get into our bedrooms and steal our children! Oh brother.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sandy Beach Road .... classic ...

1:30 pm Monday in CT ... power went out for a minute, back on. No leaves on the trees so I expect a different result than Irene.

Its water, its wind .. no big deal.

Now they are saying that the storm is going to get into our bedrooms and steal our children! Oh brother.

Just got back from Tapphanock. Water is way up. I went for a little swim. Deltaville is pretty rough and now the wind is picking up in Hanover,

No power outages anywhere I videoed.