• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chamber loaded or not.

ethorman

Just throwing it out there, all my carry guns have one in the chamber ready to go. For me as a personal preference the only thing after my draw that I have to accomplish is click the safety off, aim or point, and squeeze the trigger. (No a huge fan of glocks for this very reason, but understand they are safe, again personal pref) then rounds go down range. I picked a weapon (Para GI Expert) that has 3 safety's because of this, thumb, grip, series 80 firing pin safety so I have peace of mind when carrying one in the tube and hammer back.

I believe understanding exactly how everything in your weapon works will give anyone better piece of mind when it comes to carrying locked and cocked or unloaded. Once you realize how the safeties are incorporated into the gun may help your decision, but ultimately it's your decision.

Aknazer

While I don't expect the OP to come back, I did find the part relating to his question. Section 1289.13 deals with transporting firearms. It states that a gun may not be transported loaded (excluding the exceptions granted via the SDA), but that a gun may be transported clip/mag loaded and chamber empty so long as it is in a locked exterior compartment, or in the trunk, or in an interior compartment notwithstanding the provisions of 1289.7 (1289.7 states that one with a handgun license may carry a loaded handgun, and thus the gun you're carrying would not be subject to 1289.13).

Here is the law and you can see the old law along with all of the changes that take place in a few days.

hrdware

While I don't expect the OP to come back, I did find the part relating to his question. Section 1289.13 deals with transporting firearms. It states that a gun may not be transported loaded (excluding the exceptions granted via the SDA), but that a gun may be transported clip/mag loaded and chamber empty so long as it is in a locked exterior compartment, or in the trunk, or in an interior compartment notwithstanding the provisions of 1289.7 (1289.7 states that one with a handgun license may carry a loaded handgun, and thus the gun you're carrying would not be subject to 1289.13).

Here is the law and you can see the old law along with all of the changes that take place in a few days.

1289.13 says
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

So if a person has an SDA card, they can carry their clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun in the interior compartment.

Aknazer

1289.13 says

So if a person has an SDA card, they can carry their clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun in the interior compartment.

They can "transport" it with the clip/mag loaded but the chamber unloaded. The "carry" bit is covered under the 1289.13 portion. And thanks for pointing out that to transport it with the mag/clip loaded one still needs to have an SDA card as I missed that the first time. But it appears that the question comes down to carry vs transport and the type of weapon. So never say you are "transporting" your EDC somewhere!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
To the OP and everyone else:

If you find a better, more functional, effective forum that defends and promotes open carry (& things related) then you have followed the yellow brick road to the new & improved OCDO - none better.

If you look long and hard, you will more likely than not come to the same conclusion.

That is all I have to say on this.

The Dove

I carry daily and do not have one in the chamber. That is my choice and that is what I do. Other people may feel/do otherwise. I don't care what they do. They, should'nt care what I do. As long as we are carrying, to each his own------ the bad guy's sure don't.....

The Dove

Shoobee

It seems self evidently true that if you have a reason to pull a gun out of your gunsafe for any reason, then it should be chambered with a round, and you should be able to shoot the gun quickly and with one hand, since that would be the main and most dire reason for pulling the gun out of the gunsafe.

Thus if you are wearing a gun on your person, it should also always be chambered with a round, for the same reason.

The only time that it would make sense not to have a round chambered would be due to some form of regulation, ergo a higher power (the state) dictating what you should or should not do.

So check your local laws, first, and once you know how far you are allowed to go, go all the way.

Otherwise it is not really your gun. It then de facto belongs to anyone who can take it away from you, which comes down to a simple wrestling match, if you cannot draw it and shoot it with one hand fast enough to defend it.

Last edited:

The Dove

Shoobee

Hey Shoobee, do you happen to have a book out that I could buy and read? With the knowledge you spread, I gotta get your book.

The Dove

Fallschirjmäger

Not a thing wrong with carrying a defensive pistol with the chamber empty as anyone who's done so and survived an encounter will assure you; they had the time and ability to chamber a round before needing to use the pistol. Those who Didn't survive a defensive encounter because they a) didn't have time to chamber a round and/or b) didn't have a hand free to chamber a round won't disagree... they're likely too busy being dead.

As long as you can assure yourself that--
1) You'll have enough forewarning that you're going to need your pistol so that you can chamber a round
2) You'll never be desperately fighting for your life with your weak hand at the same time as you could be loading your pistol
3) You'll never have your off-hand injured and useless
4) You'll never be holding on to your wife/girlfriend/mistress/boyfriend/husband/significant other's hand when attacked
5) You'll never be holding a briefcase, grocery bag, diaper bag, or any thing that you'll have to devote more than .10 second to decide what to do with when attacked.
6) You'll never have a leash wrapped around your hand, or have your hand restraining a rambunctious dog, or holding on to an infant
7) You'll never have your hand or arm grabbed in a desperate clinging-on-for-dear-life wife/girlfriend/mistress/boyfriend/husband/significant other.
.... you'll be just fine and peachy keen.

Myself, I prefer to minimize the odds against me and maximize the odds in my favor. I'm not gonna tell you what to do though.

Last edited:

Gary S

I carry daily and do not have one in the chamber. That is my choice and that is what I do. Other people may feel/do otherwise. I don't care what they do. They, should'nt care what I do. As long as we are carrying, to each his own------ the bad guy's sure don't.....

The Dove

You are right about your choice and nobody should care what or how you carry, but i promise you the bad guy always has one chambered before they walk out of there house to do what they already know they are going to do. Stay safe.

Aknazer

You are right about your choice and nobody should care what or how you carry, but i promise you the bad guy always has one chambered before they walk out of there house to do what they already know they are going to do. Stay safe.

Well, except for that one criminal who robbed a store with the slide locked back cuz he racked it with an empty mag and didn't know how to fix it. Of course the store employees didn't know any better and complied with his demands...

Fallschirjmäger

Well, except for that one criminal who robbed a store with the slide locked back cuz he racked it with an empty mag and didn't know how to fix it. Of course the store employees didn't know any better and complied with his demands...

Rhetorically, wouldn't that be the "exception that proves the rule"?
Now, if Gary S had said "Any Smart bad guy always ensures he has one chambered before he leaves the house..." we wouldn't be able to sharpshoot him.

But then, you have to ask yourself, "am I smarter than some dumb crook that left the house with an unloaded gun?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey Shoobee, do you happen to have a book out that I could buy and read? With the knowledge you spread, I gotta get your book.

The Dove

Each one of us is obviously entitled to make our own choices within what the law allows in how we carry.

What we do not do here on OCDO is insult directly or indirectly by innuendo others for their participation in a discussion. Wanna read my book? :p It can be found here :D

I'm also of the opinion that carrying with an empty chamber is less than optimal. My holstered handgun is not a pretty paper weight. I have considered and practiced drawing and firing with only my less dominate hand - simulating an injury - its an interesting exercise.

Gary S

Now if only one of the employees had a firearm without one chambered they could have beat each other with there expensive hammers while waiting for the cops

The Dove

Grapeshot

Grapeshot

I think you think I was being sarcastic to Shoobee???? I wasn't. I liked the way he put his opinion out there using the gun safe/cabinet, etc.... Sorry if I came across otherwise but I actually liked what the man said and how he put it.

The Dove

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot

I think you think I was being sarcastic to Shoobee???? I wasn't. I liked the way he put his opinion out there using the gun safe/cabinet, etc.... Sorry if I came across otherwise but I actually liked what the man said and how he put it.

The Dove

Appreciate it. I did think so. You weren't, so no foul, no penalty. Will call it an inadvertent flag drop. :D

The Dove

Good deal Grapeshot and Shoobee. I will still keep the chamber free and cleared. I have that choice you know..... HAHA

The Dove

OldCurlyWolf

This will be my last post here.

This place seems very unfriendly.

Sounds like you have a personal problem to me. :cool:

With that attitude I do no doubt that your list of friends needs anything more than a very small post-it note to contain the entire list.

:p

Bye

;)

For Grapeshot: I am being sarcastic. It is not nice, I know, but sometimes......

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sounds like you have a personal problem to me. :cool:

With that attitude I do no doubt that your list of friends needs anything more than a very small post-it note to contain the entire list.

:p

Bye

;)

For Grapeshot: I am being sarcastic. It is not nice, I know, but sometimes......

I always believe it is better to let those that are not comfortable here depart in silence - not having the last word. Maybe they can be converted later if we do not "help them out" or insult them. It's always hard to tell what another person really is thinking until you get to know them better.

Shoobee

Not a thing wrong with carrying a defensive pistol with the chamber empty as anyone who's done so and survived an encounter will assure you; they had the time and ability to chamber a round before needing to use the pistol. Those who Didn't survive a defensive encounter because they a) didn't have time to chamber a round and/or b) didn't have a hand free to chamber a round won't disagree... they're likely too busy being dead.

As long as you can assure yourself that--
1) You'll have enough forewarning that you're going to need your pistol so that you can chamber a round
2) You'll never be desperately fighting for your life with your weak hand at the same time as you could be loading your pistol
3) You'll never have your off-hand injured and useless
4) You'll never be holding on to your wife/girlfriend/mistress/boyfriend/husband/significant other's hand when attacked
5) You'll never be holding a briefcase, grocery bag, diaper bag, or any thing that you'll have to devote more than .10 second to decide what to do with when attacked.
6) You'll never have a leash wrapped around your hand, or have your hand restraining a rambunctious dog, or holding on to an infant
7) You'll never have your hand or arm grabbed in a desperate clinging-on-for-dear-life wife/girlfriend/mistress/boyfriend/husband/significant other.
.... you'll be just fine and peachy keen.

Myself, I prefer to minimize the odds against me and maximize the odds in my favor. I'm not gonna tell you what to do though.

I imagine that being dead keeps a person very busy. Ha ha! Brilliantly put.

Normally in all my contingency planning, I too like Jaeger try to figure out what things can get you dead, and then I try to work around those, with a hypothetical failure analysis intent on avoiding death.

The dead know only that it is better to be alive.

Life again is the thing Jesus promises the dead. Thus life must be pretty good.

As Achilles in The Illiad pointed out, nobody lives forever. Not much sense in cutting it short though, especially unnecessarily.

Jager summarizes the contingenies fairly well. Bravo.

Last edited: