• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

advice for local range or club

Gary S

Is there a good range to shoot at local to tulsa area, i already tried a couple of them. I went to tulsa gun club and 2a shooting range. So far 2a is my favorite, but i want one i can do moving drills without having to be in the country. I also don't want to go broke just to go practice, any suggestions would be great thanks.

BAOCer

Is there a good range to shoot at local to tulsa area, i already tried a couple of them. I went to tulsa gun club and 2a shooting range. So far 2a is my favorite, but i want one i can do moving drills without having to be in the country. I also don't want to go broke just to go practice, any suggestions would be great thanks.

I'd say 2A is a really nice facility and their staff have been professional. The USSA range is really nice, and their people are also professional. I'd stay away from Tulsa Firearms though. Just my opinion.

ethorman

Ever think of doing a IDPA match. I have tried 3 of them now and loved each and every one. I like it because it teaches you cover and things like that. Granted some people there are for the competing aspect of it, but some are just there to try to get more trigger time in. I would recommend going and if you dont feel comfortable just watch a match then try it if you like it.

Gary S

Ever think of doing a IDPA match. I have tried 3 of them now and loved each and every one. I like it because it teaches you cover and things like that. Granted some people there are for the competing aspect of it, but some are just there to try to get more trigger time in. I would recommend going and if you dont feel comfortable just watch a match then try it if you like it.
No i have not ill look into it,if anything it sounds like fun. Do you know of any of them going on around tulsa area i can look into. Thanks

ginfield

USSA does one the second Saturday of each month.
I went to one back in march. It was interesting and a lot of fun.
Unfortunately my scheduled hasn't worked out where i have been able to go again yet.

okiephlyer

No i have not ill look into it,if anything it sounds like fun. Do you know of any of them going on around tulsa area i can look into. Thanks

Alpha Training Academy in Pryor does a Steel Challenge every second Saturday, with a USPSA (similar to IDPA) every third Saturday. It is about at 35 minute drive from my house. I have not shot a match at USSA, but was there for an IDPA match. Good time and lots of friendly people. I have been to many steel challenge matches at ATA. My impression, USSA has a larger, nicer facility and more people, ATA is a more cozy facility and fewer people. Everyone I have met at both locations have been great to talk to. I like ATA because 1. a friend runs it., 2. there are fewer people.

Brandon9mm

I am a member at USSA and think it is a great facility. Mention me as a referral if you decide to sign up there. They will give you a free tour of the facility.

ethorman

They are all fun and a great way to learn trigger time, shooting while moving and how to engage targets in priority. However I will say that IDPA stresses using cover more than the other, and usually you do not need as much ammo to shoot a IDPA match as you do the others. Again they are all good and fun, and some guys are into the competition and other are just there to practice, all matches I have gone too everyone was super nice and helpful in noticing some things you may not notice your doing.

Gary S

I am a member at USSA and think it is a great facility. Mention me as a referral if you decide to sign up there. They will give you a free tour of the facility.
I checked out USSA web site and i think i will be going by to check them out and learn more about them, thank you.