Thread: Carrying an unloaded "off-list and legal" assault rifle into a California Starbucks

Carrying an unloaded "off-list and legal" assault rifle into a California Starbucks

I'm curious what might happen to a guy who carries an unloaded "off-list" and legal assault-style weapon openly into a Starbucks or other public establishment in California? Would he be arrested immediately, or just get some kind of citation?

Discussion of long gun carry is prohibited here. Have a nice day~

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    Last edited by Jack House; 10-28-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Isn't it also now illegal?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Discussion of long gun carry is prohibited here. Have a nice day~

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    No offense, Jack, but long gun carry is acceptable here in regards to California. Says so right there in bold on the rule you cited.

Nuge, I dont know Cali law, but I am wondering what would be the point of carrying an unloaded firearm into Starbucks (or other public establishment as you mentioned). What I mean is this, if it's for self defense, its of no good if it isnt loaded. If it isnt for SD, then why not leave it home or at least put it in a locked hard case and leave it in the truck?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NugentForPresident17 View Post
    I'm curious what might happen to a guy who carries an unloaded "off-list" and legal assault-style weapon openly into a Starbucks or other public establishment in California? Would he be arrested immediately, or just get some kind of citation?
    Volunteering?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Just to be clear, there are places you can carry in California. And there are places that you can even carry a loaded firearm. It isn't totally prohibited.

It's a pain in the arse because the areas that you can/can't carry are not really mapped out and not worth the aggravation.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 10-31-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Hoka hey

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    Exactly right. However there was a group of guys who would always show up at certain bars and outdoor restaurants, and wear their pistols or sixshooters unloaded, with mags or speedloaders in their pockets ... right up until the legislature in Sacramento made that illegal too.

I would have to say that the law of unintended consequences caught up with them. That be the state legislature.

The hoodies of Oakland, LA, and south of Market in SF, will always be armed. They don't care if they get busted back to San Quentin or Pelican Bay. And so they will always kill and rob at their own free will.

There are a few Bernhard Goetz's walking around too, but very discretely. Same issues as NYC and Chicago.

Hmmm and what unintended consequence would that be? If they hadn't UOCd, they'd have been disarmed......and now they are ....ready yet?........disarmed.

Believe that in the long run pushing the state legislators to chose will work to bolster the RKBA in CA. Look for court cases to make a difference.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Hmmm and what unintended consequence would that be? If they hadn't UOCd, they'd have been disarmed......and now they are ....ready yet?........disarmed.

Believe that in the long run pushing the state legislators to chose will work to bolster the RKBA in CA. Look for court cases to make a difference.
    +1

I never understood the mindset of not exercising a right because you may get the right banned.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    +1

I never understood the mindset of not exercising a right because you may get the right banned.
    Agree completely. Force their hand. Let them pass blatantly unconstitutional laws, and then rake them over the coals in court for their stupidity.
    Last edited by Brimstone Baritone; 11-07-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Carrying an unloaded "off-list and legal" assault rifle into a California Starbucks

+1

Yes you only have the right if you dare not use it. What a crock!
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    yes you only have the right if you dare not use it. What a crock!
    qft, + 1

+1

That is because you are not a sheeple, actually believe in personal freedom and insist on acting like a free man. Come to think about it how dare you, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NugentForPresident17 View Post
    ....first off what is the reason to do this??????...id say:to see what kinda reaction he can get out of people,and then the cops that will soon be there!!!!
    .........this idiot is the reason why we will soon be getting a huge weapons ban imposed on us!!...thanks so much,we law abiding citizens realy appreciate it??

Quote Originally Posted by crambone219 View Post
    ....first off what is the reason to do this??????...id say:to see what kinda reaction he can get out of people,and then the cops that will soon be there!!!!
    .........this idiot is the reason why we will soon be getting a huge weapons ban imposed on us!!...thanks so much,we law abiding citizens realy appreciate it??
    What other choice does he have in CA if he is going to OC?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    What other choice does he have in CA if he is going to OC?
    Not just OC. If he wants to carry at all it's the only option. Unless he's one of the Elite who somehow managed to acquire a permit.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

IMO, OC of an unloaded long gun would result in Starbucks deciding to not allow carry at all. Bad idea if you ask me. Why not do a loaded long gun OC at that libtard Gov office with about 500,0000 freedom loving citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    IMO, OC of an unloaded long gun would result in Starbucks deciding to not allow carry at all. Bad idea if you ask me. Why not do a loaded long gun OC at that libtard Gov office with about 500,0000 freedom loving citizens?
    In California, where would you find the other 499,999 freedom loving citizens?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    In California, where would you find the other 499,999 freedom loving citizens?
    +1 :-) Most have already moved out of the state, methinks.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.