• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying an unloaded "off-list and legal" assault rifle into a California Starbucks

Carrying an unloaded "off-list and legal" assault rifle into a California Starbucks

I'm curious what might happen to a guy who carries an unloaded "off-list" and legal assault-style weapon openly into a Starbucks or other public establishment in California? Would he be arrested immediately, or just get some kind of citation?
:banghead:

Jack House

Discussion of long gun carry is prohibited here. Have a nice day~

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Last edited:

cabledawg

Discussion of long gun carry is prohibited here. Have a nice day~

• (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

No offense, Jack, but long gun carry is acceptable here in regards to California. Says so right there in bold on the rule you cited.

Nuge, I dont know Cali law, but I am wondering what would be the point of carrying an unloaded firearm into Starbucks (or other public establishment as you mentioned). What I mean is this, if it's for self defense, its of no good if it isnt loaded. If it isnt for SD, then why not leave it home or at least put it in a locked hard case and leave it in the truck? :confused:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm curious what might happen to a guy who carries an unloaded "off-list" and legal assault-style weapon openly into a Starbucks or other public establishment in California? Would he be arrested immediately, or just get some kind of citation?

Volunteering?

Shoobee

...Nuge, I dont know Cali law, but I am wondering what would be the point of carrying an unloaded firearm into Starbucks (or other public establishment as you mentioned). What I mean is this, if it's for self defense, its of no good if it isnt loaded. If it isnt for SD, then why not leave it home or at least put it in a locked hard case and leave it in the truck? :confused:

Exactly right. However there was a group of guys who would always show up at certain bars and outdoor restaurants, and wear their pistols or sixshooters unloaded, with mags or speedloaders in their pockets ... right up until the legislature in Sacramento made that illegal too.

I would have to say that the law of unintended consequences caught up with them. That be the state legislature.

The hoodies of Oakland, LA, and south of Market in SF, will always be armed. They don't care if they get busted back to San Quentin or Pelican Bay. And so they will always kill and rob at their own free will.

There are a few Bernhard Goetz's walking around too, but very discretely. Same issues as NYC and Chicago.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

Just to be clear, there are places you can carry in California. And there are places that you can even carry a loaded firearm. It isn't totally prohibited.

It's a pain in the arse because the areas that you can/can't carry are not really mapped out and not worth the aggravation.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Exactly right. However there was a group of guys who would always show up at certain bars and outdoor restaurants, and wear their pistols or sixshooters unloaded, with mags or speedloaders in their pockets ... right up until the legislature in Sacramento made that illegal too.

I would have to say that the law of unintended consequences caught up with them. That be the state legislature.

The hoodies of Oakland, LA, and south of Market in SF, will always be armed. They don't care if they get busted back to San Quentin or Pelican Bay. And so they will always kill and rob at their own free will.

There are a few Bernhard Goetz's walking around too, but very discretely. Same issues as NYC and Chicago.

Hmmm and what unintended consequence would that be? If they hadn't UOCd, they'd have been disarmed......and now they are ....ready yet?........disarmed.

Believe that in the long run pushing the state legislators to chose will work to bolster the RKBA in CA. Look for court cases to make a difference.

sudden valley gunner

Hmmm and what unintended consequence would that be? If they hadn't UOCd, they'd have been disarmed......and now they are ....ready yet?........disarmed.

Believe that in the long run pushing the state legislators to chose will work to bolster the RKBA in CA. Look for court cases to make a difference.

+1

I never understood the mindset of not exercising a right because you may get the right banned.

crambone219

....first off what is the reason to do this??????...id say:to see what kinda reaction he can get out of people,and then the cops that will soon be there!!!!
.........this idiot is the reason why we will soon be getting a huge weapons ban imposed on us!!...thanks so much,we law abiding citizens realy appreciate it??

carolina guy

....first off what is the reason to do this??????...id say:to see what kinda reaction he can get out of people,and then the cops that will soon be there!!!!
.........this idiot is the reason why we will soon be getting a huge weapons ban imposed on us!!...thanks so much,we law abiding citizens realy appreciate it??

What other choice does he have in CA if he is going to OC?

tombrewster421

What other choice does he have in CA if he is going to OC?

Not just OC. If he wants to carry at all it's the only option. Unless he's one of the Elite who somehow managed to acquire a permit.

nobama

IMO, OC of an unloaded long gun would result in Starbucks deciding to not allow carry at all. Bad idea if you ask me. Why not do a loaded long gun OC at that libtard Gov office with about 500,0000 freedom loving citizens?