Thread: plain english please

plain english please

i have heard several differant stories about loaded carry. i have heard yes you can,no you can't, loaded magazine only, chambered but must have a safety. could someone please spell it out in plain english the legal method of open carry. thank you

Moderator / Administrator
    Depends on state - usually loaded open carry is fine without any safety. In Oregon, state law is fine with open carry loaded; however localities have the power to ban loaded open carry if you do not possess a concealed handgun permit (CHP).

So basically having a CHP is a safe harbor to local load bans in Oregon.

Please check out our maps at OpenCarry.org to learn more.

thankks the reason i am choosing open carry is my chl was denied for a misdeamenor conviction 18 years ago. the nature of my conviction renderes me uneligable. but it kinda sucks since my punishment was too pull weedsat a local community colledge for 4 weekends but that's our governm,ent for you

Quote Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
    thankks the reason i am choosing open carry is my chl was denied for a misdeamenor conviction 18 years ago. the nature of my conviction renderes me uneligable. but it kinda sucks since my punishment was too pull weedsat a local community colledge for 4 weekends but that's our governm,ent for you
    Have you checked ORS 166.291 to see if your 18 year old misdemeanor is truly a disqualifier? It could be that the Sheriff has improperly denied you and you can appeal that denial.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
    Say what? Read ORS 166.291 (1)(h) misdemeaners only prohibit for 4 (yes four) years....you should be elegable for your OR CHL.

Ok, that said, Unlicensed OC, loaded, anywhere in OR at any time, even in your car (ORS 166.250(3))...except where a local government has restricted per ORS 166.173, or per exemptions in ORS 166.260.

You live in Springfield...Springfield has a parks restriction on unlicensed carry, as does Bend. Portland, Tigard, Beverton, Independence, Oregon City, Salem, Astoria, and I believe Lincoln City? have town ordinences against unlicensed, loaded, OC, so no loaded OC there.

I would suggest you read ORS 166.173, ORS 166.250 (pay attention to 3), ORS 166.260,ORS 166.291 and 292, and ORS 166.360-380 very carefully. Most of your questions will be answered.