• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

plain english please

papa smurf

i have heard several differant stories about loaded carry. i have heard yes you can,no you can't, loaded magazine only, chambered but must have a safety. could someone please spell it out in plain english the legal method of open carry. thank you

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Depends on state - usually loaded open carry is fine without any safety. In Oregon, state law is fine with open carry loaded; however localities have the power to ban loaded open carry if you do not possess a concealed handgun permit (CHP).

So basically having a CHP is a safe harbor to local load bans in Oregon.

Please check out our maps at OpenCarry.org to learn more.

papa smurf

thankks the reason i am choosing open carry is my chl was denied for a misdeamenor conviction 18 years ago. the nature of my conviction renderes me uneligable. but it kinda sucks since my punishment was too pull weedsat a local community colledge for 4 weekends but that's our governm,ent for you

We-the-People

thankks the reason i am choosing open carry is my chl was denied for a misdeamenor conviction 18 years ago. the nature of my conviction renderes me uneligable. but it kinda sucks since my punishment was too pull weedsat a local community colledge for 4 weekends but that's our governm,ent for you

Have you checked ORS 166.291 to see if your 18 year old misdemeanor is truly a disqualifier? It could be that the Sheriff has improperly denied you and you can appeal that denial.

hermannr

Say what? Read ORS 166.291 (1)(h) misdemeaners only prohibit for 4 (yes four) years....you should be elegable for your OR CHL.

Ok, that said, Unlicensed OC, loaded, anywhere in OR at any time, even in your car (ORS 166.250(3))...except where a local government has restricted per ORS 166.173, or per exemptions in ORS 166.260.

You live in Springfield...Springfield has a parks restriction on unlicensed carry, as does Bend. Portland, Tigard, Beverton, Independence, Oregon City, Salem, Astoria, and I believe Lincoln City? have town ordinences against unlicensed, loaded, OC, so no loaded OC there.

I would suggest you read ORS 166.173, ORS 166.250 (pay attention to 3), ORS 166.260,ORS 166.291 and 292, and ORS 166.360-380 very carefully. Most of your questions will be answered.