• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal School Zones

Hoto

Hello, been creeping around the forums for awhile getting a lot of good information, but a few grey questions keep popping up as I read

One in general is about the 1000ft federal law. From what I understand you can be within the 1000 ft with a ccw but not on school property unless you are in a vehicle and in the process of picking up or dropping off. As Ohio has no laws against open carry would you be able, lawfully, to open carry within the 1000 ft with a ccw or would it have to be concealed?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello, been creeping around the forums for awhile getting a lot of good information, but a few grey questions keep popping up as I read

One in general is about the 1000ft federal law. From what I understand you can be within the 1000 ft with a ccw but not on school property unless you are in a vehicle and in the process of picking up or dropping off. As Ohio has no laws against open carry would you be able, lawfully, to open carry within the 1000 ft with a ccw or would it have to be concealed?

The GFSZ 1000' prohibition is seldom (almost never) prosecuted as a primary offense. The restriction other than on school property is lifted if one has a concealed carry permit from the state in which the school is located.

There is no federal requirement to actually conceal.

http://www.dpi.state.nd.us/speced/guide/policy/guns.p

Mike

Site Co-Founder
The restriction other than on school property is lifted if one has a concealed carry permit from the state in which the school is located.

No - the federal law exempts permit holders from the restriction on and off school grounds - so under federal law a permit holder can enter schools in thge state which issued the permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No - the federal law exempts permit holders from the restriction on and off school grounds - so under federal law a permit holder can enter schools in thge state which issued the permit.

I stand corrected.

WalkingWolf

IMO a person should check their state and local laws before attempting to open carry in a school. By federal law antique firearms are not a firearm, no permit needed, some states treat them the same as firearms though. Again IMO I think a person should think REAL hard about open carrying any firearm INTO the school.

MyWifeSaidYes

The Concealed Handgun License is what exempts you from the 1000' foot rule.

Without a CHL, you cannot carry within that zone, openly or concealed.

Pecker

I'm a new OH resident. I do not yet have my OH permit. I carry on a FL permit.

Does this mean that if I carry within 1000' of a school I can be charged with a Federal crime?

JediSkipdogg

Does this mean that if I carry within 1000' of a school I can be charged with a Federal crime?

Yes. If you do so on public property, aka sidewalks and streets.

Chances of being charges, slim to none, but it's a crime none the less. Let's just say, it's the same chances of a Joe Smoe that has a felonious theft conviction and a firearm being charged for weapons under disability. That's a federal level crime there (Ohio doesn't count all felonies), but still, a crime none the less.

WalkingWolf

Most of us do not worry about it. The feds are not setting up roadblocks at school zones, at least not yet. It seems they are fearful of a SCOTUS ruling again, at least until the SCOTUS swings further left. If you are worried, get a OH permit, or carry a cap and ball revolver.