Thread: Saw something last nite on the news kiro 11pm....

Saw something last nite on the news kiro 11pm....

During one of the first commercial breaks, I got in on the tail end of them saying that Investigation 7 was doing a story on gun packing nieghborhoods, today. Anyone else see that advertisement?

Founder's Club Member
    I wonder where this utopia is--this neighborhood where so many people carry that it can be accurately characterized as a gun packing neighborhood?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    During one of the first commercial breaks, I got in on the tail end of them saying that Investigation 7 was doing a story on gun packing nieghborhoods, today. Anyone else see that advertisement?
    I'd like to see something like that...are they starting with Rainier South?

Or did it sound like a serious "investigation".

Too bad we can't get KIRO over here.
    Last edited by hermannr; 10-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Its monday at 5 pm on kiro 7

Just saw it advertized on the 11pm news tonite. Its Monday at 5pm. This is the lead in,

People are snatching up conceal carry permits faster than ever,

we are uncovering information never before released,

I'm a mother and I want to protect my children if we are out,

where are all these guns?,

one of the best kept secrets,

everyone has guns around here,

showing what area has the most permits

and what neighborhoods in Seattle have the most people packing.

See it monday at 5pm on KIRO channel 7.....

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
    Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    ...and what neighborhoods in Seattle have the most people packing.

See it monday at 5pm on KIRO channel 7.....
    Rainier Beach, Skyway, White Center come to mind considering the number of shootings in those areas...

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I'd like to see something like that...are they starting with Rainier South?

Or did it sound like a serious "investigation".

Too bad we can't get KIRO over here.

KIRO has a Website with live feed.
    Last edited by jsanchez; 10-29-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 911Boss View Post
    Rainier Beach, Skyway, White Center come to mind considering the number of shootings in those areas...
    A very interesting point on the subject. Criminals carry guns without permits, and in Oakland, CA, they get their guns through straw purchases. I wonder if they will bring up your very good point tommarrow on the report?
    Last edited by jsanchez; 10-29-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Kiro just ran this piece on the 5AM news. Alluded to a website that one can visit to see how many people "on your street" have CPL's.

They just cover CPL holders. No mention of those who have no CPL's and carry in a variety of manners, legal and illegal. Not only Criminals carry without CPL's. More than just a few will carry whenever they feel the need, with or without license.

And then, there's the Criminal Element. I'm sure they're able to track all of those who're packing, right?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I hope they over lay that map with crime reports.
    WA Guns
    "There is no such thing as a free lunch, but there is always free cheese in a mousetrap."

Kiro News

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Kiro just ran this piece on the 5AM news. Alluded to a website that one can visit to see how many people "on your street" have CPL's.

They just cover CPL holders. No mention of those who have no CPL's and carry in a variety of manners, legal and illegal. Not only Criminals carry without CPL's. More than just a few will carry whenever they feel the need, with or without license.

And then, there's the Criminal Element. I'm sure they're able to track all of those who're packing, right?

They seem to be getting some push back on their Facebook Site.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

my Zip only has 7% of people licensed, the next Zip code down has 8%. c'mon we need more.... I want 40% like Lyman
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

And when was the last time you heard of trouble in Lyman? I couldn't figure out how to make it work. working at it If Okanogan county is listed it sould be up there..doubt it's listed though...Seattle doesn't think of anything east of the crest.

And when was the last time you heard of trouble in Lyman? I couldn't figure out how to make it work. working at it If Okanogan county is listed it sould be up there..doubt it's listed though...Seattle doesn't think of anything east of the crest.
    It's mapped by postal code and yes Okanogan county is here and listed.
    http://www.kirotv.com/gun-permits/
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I like Stratford, 98853. Population 23 and 12 of 'em are packing. That's 52%

Here's the text article:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/seat...mselves/nSq4B/

Aaaaaaaand (big surprise), THEY TOTALLY BLEW IT WITH THIS ONE!

In total, around 370,000 Washingtonians have the legal right to carry a handgun outside their home.
    No, ALL legal residents of Washington over 21 have the legal right to carry a handgun outside their home. <facepalm>
    Last edited by Metalhead47; 10-29-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

OK, finally got it to work. 10%, 14%, 17% AND 18% in my local zips. The only reason I can think of so we can purchase pistols and take them home same day... otherwise, OC works just fine up here. Never did find Riverside's zip...it should be like Lyman..Riverside has an ordinance on their books that everyone is supposed to have a gun for their own self protection.
    Last edited by hermannr; 10-30-2012 at 02:22 AM.

OK, finally got it to work. 10%, 14%, 17% AND 18% in my local zips. The only reason I can think of so we can purchase pistols and take them home same day... otherwise, OC works just fine up here. Never did find Riverside's zip...it should be like Lyman..Riverside has an ordinance on their books that everyone is supposed to have a gun for their own self protection.
    Well this report kept confusing licenses with guns. No one needs a license to own or carry a firearm. Only to conceal it. Just becuase an area has a low rate of licensure doesn't mean it's a gun free neighborhood. My zip only has 7% but most people around here own guns. Few carry but there is a high rate of ownership.
    Really Kiro needs better research staff

NRA Member

The only reason I can think of so we can purchase pistols and take them home same day... otherwise, OC works just fine up here. .
    Another good reason is that if you OC you have to unload the gun before you get in your car - unless you have a CPL.

ETA: Oops, just realized which forum I'm on - you already knew that, didn't you?
    Last edited by Flopsweat; 10-30-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: duh

Quote Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
    I hope they over lay that map with crime reports.
    It's easy to see that permits and crime are in an inverse ratio.

Lots of area's with 20% or more with CPL's are areas where the biggest crime is falling out of your truck when you get home because you may have had a little too much to drink with the "bud's".

Seattle, and it's infamous Rainier Valley/Central Areas ranges between 2% and 4% by quick look.

Guns do seem to have a relationship to crime. The more that are legally carried, the fewer that are used illegally.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I'm surprised, Maple Valley only has 6%, seems like it should be much higher.

I left some feedback on the kiro's facebook page under this story. I encourage everyone to take 5 minutes and do the same, I would greatly appreciate it.

Their numbers are totally incorrect. Population count does not match census data and does not filter by age 21+.

The listed population in the article/map for my zip code has 27,942. However, according to the last census my zip code has 17,493. In addition, that included all individuals such as minors and felons. Criminals/felons aside, my zip code has a age ratio of 27.4% under 18 years of age according to the last census. Indicating the true number of individuals over the age of 18 is somewhere in the range of 12,700.

The next age break in census data is 18-24 so I could not get accurate count per 21+ however given a average count per age I estimate 843 individuals between 18 and 21.

So the true estimated amount of citizens 21+ in my zip is around 11,857.

Now if my calculations are correct and the census data is accurate a more realistic percentage of CPL's in my zipcode is actually 14.6% instead of the 6% portraiture on their map. That's 1 out of every 6.8 adults 21+ in my zip code having a CPL. This does not include people that does not have CPL's, only keep firearms in their home, etc.

If your truly interested in the numbers for your area, I would take the CPL count for your zip code and calculate it yourself with reliable numbers.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Numbers and Demographics

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Their numbers are totally incorrect. Population count does not match census data and does not filter by age 21+.

The listed population in the article/map for my zip code has 27,942. However, according to the last census my zip code has 17,493. In addition, that included all individuals such as minors and felons. Criminals/felons aside, my zip code has a age ratio of 27.4% under 18 years of age according to the last census. Indicating the true number of individuals over the age of 18 is somewhere in the range of 12,700.

The next age break in census data is 18-24 so I could not get accurate count per 21+ however given a average count per age I estimate 843 individuals between 18 and 21.

So the true estimated amount of citizens 21+ in my zip is around 11,857.

Now if my calculations are correct and the census data is accurate a more realistic percentage of CPL's in my zipcode is actually 14.6% instead of the 6% portraiture on their map. That's 1 out of every 6.8 adults 21+ in my zip code having a CPL. This does not include people that does not have CPL's, only keep firearms in their home, etc.

If your truly interested in the numbers for your area, I would take the CPL count for your zip code and calculate it yourself with reliable numbers.
    If you want to see something real interesting do a FOIA request for the CPL data yourself.
    Ask for all the data then sort it by gender; Male, Female, and Other.

I have not done this myself for a couple years now, however, Women seem to be applying for CPL's at a faster rate than men.
    Now there is a head scratcher for the bean counters to work out.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    If you want to see something real interesting do a FOIA request for the CPL data yourself.
    Ask for all the data then sort it by gender; Male, Female, and Other.

I have not done this myself for a couple years now, however, Women seem to be applying for CPL's at a faster rate than men.
    Now there is a head scratcher for the bean counters to work out.

~Whitney
    I don't think that women applying for CPL's at a higher rate is something strange. Look at the number of violent rapes, and what sex is most likely to get raped???? More women in the workplace, more women out and about, more women vulnerable and more women are realizing, they cannot rely on the system for their protection???

I have a 19 year old grand-daughter that can't wait for her 21st birthday...not so she can go partying, but so she can apply for her CPL...