• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw something last nite on the news kiro 11pm....

jsanchez

During one of the first commercial breaks, I got in on the tail end of them saying that Investigation 7 was doing a story on gun packing nieghborhoods, today. Anyone else see that advertisement?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I wonder where this utopia is--this neighborhood where so many people carry that it can be accurately characterized as a gun packing neighborhood?

hermannr

During one of the first commercial breaks, I got in on the tail end of them saying that Investigation 7 was doing a story on gun packing nieghborhoods, today. Anyone else see that advertisement?

I'd like to see something like that...are they starting with Rainier South?

Or did it sound like a serious "investigation".

Too bad we can't get KIRO over here.

Last edited:

jsanchez

Its monday at 5 pm on kiro 7

Just saw it advertized on the 11pm news tonite. Its Monday at 5pm. This is the lead in,

People are snatching up conceal carry permits faster than ever,

we are uncovering information never before released,

I'm a mother and I want to protect my children if we are out,

where are all these guns?,

one of the best kept secrets,

everyone has guns around here,

showing what area has the most permits

and what neighborhoods in Seattle have the most people packing.

See it monday at 5pm on KIRO channel 7.....

jsanchez

I'd like to see something like that...are they starting with Rainier South?

Or did it sound like a serious "investigation".

Too bad we can't get KIRO over here.

KIRO has a Website with live feed.

Last edited:

jsanchez

Rainier Beach, Skyway, White Center come to mind considering the number of shootings in those areas...

A very interesting point on the subject. Criminals carry guns without permits, and in Oakland, CA, they get their guns through straw purchases. I wonder if they will bring up your very good point tommarrow on the report?

Last edited:

amlevin

Kiro just ran this piece on the 5AM news. Alluded to a website that one can visit to see how many people "on your street" have CPL's.

They just cover CPL holders. No mention of those who have no CPL's and carry in a variety of manners, legal and illegal. Not only Criminals carry without CPL's. More than just a few will carry whenever they feel the need, with or without license.

And then, there's the Criminal Element. I'm sure they're able to track all of those who're packing, right?

Whitney

Kiro News

Kiro just ran this piece on the 5AM news. Alluded to a website that one can visit to see how many people "on your street" have CPL's.

They just cover CPL holders. No mention of those who have no CPL's and carry in a variety of manners, legal and illegal. Not only Criminals carry without CPL's. More than just a few will carry whenever they feel the need, with or without license.

And then, there's the Criminal Element. I'm sure they're able to track all of those who're packing, right?

They seem to be getting some push back on their Facebook Site.

~Whitney

hermannr

And when was the last time you heard of trouble in Lyman? :) I couldn't figure out how to make it work. working at it If Okanogan county is listed it sould be up there..doubt it's listed though...Seattle doesn't think of anything east of the crest.

EMNofSeattle

And when was the last time you heard of trouble in Lyman? :) I couldn't figure out how to make it work. working at it If Okanogan county is listed it sould be up there..doubt it's listed though...Seattle doesn't think of anything east of the crest.

It's mapped by postal code and yes Okanogan county is here and listed.
http://www.kirotv.com/gun-permits/

Metalhead47

I like Stratford, 98853. Population 23 and 12 of 'em are packing. That's 52%:cool:

Here's the text article:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/seattle-resident-refuse-arm-themselves/nSq4B/

Aaaaaaaand (big surprise), THEY TOTALLY BLEW IT WITH THIS ONE!

In total, around 370,000 Washingtonians have the legal right to carry a handgun outside their home.

No, ALL legal residents of Washington over 21 have the legal right to carry a handgun outside their home. <facepalm>

Last edited:

hermannr

OK, finally got it to work. 10%, 14%, 17% AND 18% in my local zips. The only reason I can think of so we can purchase pistols and take them home same day... otherwise, OC works just fine up here. Never did find Riverside's zip...it should be like Lyman..Riverside has an ordinance on their books that everyone is supposed to have a gun for their own self protection.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

OK, finally got it to work. 10%, 14%, 17% AND 18% in my local zips. The only reason I can think of so we can purchase pistols and take them home same day... otherwise, OC works just fine up here. Never did find Riverside's zip...it should be like Lyman..Riverside has an ordinance on their books that everyone is supposed to have a gun for their own self protection.

Well this report kept confusing licenses with guns. No one needs a license to own or carry a firearm. Only to conceal it. Just becuase an area has a low rate of licensure doesn't mean it's a gun free neighborhood. My zip only has 7% but most people around here own guns. Few carry but there is a high rate of ownership.
Really Kiro needs better research staff

Flopsweat

The only reason I can think of so we can purchase pistols and take them home same day... otherwise, OC works just fine up here. .

Another good reason is that if you OC you have to unload the gun before you get in your car - unless you have a CPL.

ETA: Oops, just realized which forum I'm on - you already knew that, didn't you?

Last edited:

amlevin

I hope they over lay that map with crime reports.

It's easy to see that permits and crime are in an inverse ratio.

Lots of area's with 20% or more with CPL's are areas where the biggest crime is falling out of your truck when you get home because you may have had a little too much to drink with the "bud's".

Seattle, and it's infamous Rainier Valley/Central Areas ranges between 2% and 4% by quick look.

Guns do seem to have a relationship to crime. The more that are legally carried, the fewer that are used illegally.

Alpine

I'm surprised, Maple Valley only has 6%, seems like it should be much higher.

jsanchez

I left some feedback on the kiro's facebook page under this story. I encourage everyone to take 5 minutes and do the same, I would greatly appreciate it.