Thread: Unicorn in Harbor Freight

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Unicorn in Harbor Freight

I was in Harbor Freight this afternoon buying a hand truck.
    Spotted an OC'er at the checkout. Black BDU pants, Black Ed style shirt, a ring through his nose and earrings.

Didn't have time to talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I was in Harbor Freight this afternoon buying a hand truck.
    Spotted an OC'er at the checkout. Black BDU pants, Black Ed style shirt, a ring through his nose and earrings.

Didn't have time to talk to him.
    What is meant by "Unicorn"?
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    What is meant by "Unicorn"?
    No offense to Peter, but he's mis-using the term.

The term means an OCer who decided to start OCing because he found out on his own it was legal, as compared, for example, to a VCDL member who heard about it during a meeting, or somebody who came across our website. Such people are thought to be about as rare as unicorns.

Unfortunately, quite a few OCDOer's mistakenly think it means an OCer not personally known the spotter.

Given the publicity OC has enjoyed over the last five years, genuine unicorns are even less likely.

And, certainly, you can't tell whether its a unicorn unless you talk to them and find out how they found out it was legal.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

...Black BDU pants, Black Ed style shirt, a ring through his nose and earrings...
    But what was he packing?!?!?!?!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    He's mis-using the term.

The term means an OCer who decided to start OCing because he found out on his own it was legal, as compared, for example, to a VCDL member who heard about it during a meeting, or somebody who came across our website. Such people are thought to be about as rare as unicorns.

Unfortunately, quite a few OCDOer's mistakenly think it means an OCer not personally known the spotter.

Given the publicity OC has enjoyed over the last five years, genuine unicorns are even less likely.

And, certainly, you can't tell whether its a unicorn unless you talk to them and find out how they found out it was legal.
    You're right!
    What I saw was an unknown person with a hog ring in his nose, Black Cargo Pocket Pants, Ed style shirt and a 1911

Well that makes me not a unicorn... I bought my first Glock for home defense, then stumbled on this site. And I am so glad I did.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Unicorn defined

Happy to have the definition. I always thought that one was a "Unicorn" just based on the fact that they are OCing, since OCers are as rare as Unicorns.

Centurion

That makes me a Unicorn as of 1974!

I misunderstood the term as well. I had open carried a pistol earlier, but it was always out in the woods. The earliest I can recall carrying a holstered pistol in town is 1974, in Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    I misunderstood the term as well. I had open carried a pistol earlier, but it was always out in the woods. The earliest I can recall carrying a holstered pistol in town is 1974, in Wisconsin.
    I can't believe you remember the first time in town. I had to do a serious trip down memory lane and I think it was in 62 or 63. That was just a quick walk through town to get to Popes Farm. (I wasn't old enough to drive)

Centurion

I remember it because my brother and I were running a trap line

I can't believe you remember the first time in town. I had to do a serious trip down memory lane and I think it was in 62 or 63. That was just a quick walk through town to get to Popes Farm. (I wasn't old enough to drive)
    It was such a complete pain to load and unload the pistol everytime you got into or out of the vehicle. It was obvious that the law was counterproductive to safety, and had been passed merely for the convenience of game wardens.

It is my belief that we should never make conduct unlawful merely to make life easier for those we have hired to enforce the laws and keep the peace.