• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn in Harbor Freight

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was in Harbor Freight this afternoon buying a hand truck.
Spotted an OC'er at the checkout. Black BDU pants, Black Ed style shirt, a ring through his nose and earrings.
:(
Didn't have time to talk to him.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What is meant by "Unicorn"?

No offense to Peter, but he's mis-using the term.

The term means an OCer who decided to start OCing because he found out on his own it was legal, as compared, for example, to a VCDL member who heard about it during a meeting, or somebody who came across our website. Such people are thought to be about as rare as unicorns.

Unfortunately, quite a few OCDOer's mistakenly think it means an OCer not personally known the spotter.

Given the publicity OC has enjoyed over the last five years, genuine unicorns are even less likely.

And, certainly, you can't tell whether its a unicorn unless you talk to them and find out how they found out it was legal.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He's mis-using the term.

The term means an OCer who decided to start OCing because he found out on his own it was legal, as compared, for example, to a VCDL member who heard about it during a meeting, or somebody who came across our website. Such people are thought to be about as rare as unicorns.

Unfortunately, quite a few OCDOer's mistakenly think it means an OCer not personally known the spotter.

Given the publicity OC has enjoyed over the last five years, genuine unicorns are even less likely.

And, certainly, you can't tell whether its a unicorn unless you talk to them and find out how they found out it was legal.

You're right!
What I saw was an unknown person with a hog ring in his nose, Black Cargo Pocket Pants, Ed style shirt and a 1911:uhoh:

Esanders2008

Well that makes me not a unicorn... I bought my first Glock for home defense, then stumbled on this site. And I am so glad I did. :D

ccwinstructor

Centurion
That makes me a Unicorn as of 1974!

I misunderstood the term as well. I had open carried a pistol earlier, but it was always out in the woods. The earliest I can recall carrying a holstered pistol in town is 1974, in Wisconsin.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I misunderstood the term as well. I had open carried a pistol earlier, but it was always out in the woods. The earliest I can recall carrying a holstered pistol in town is 1974, in Wisconsin.

:lol:I can't believe you remember the first time in town. I had to do a serious trip down memory lane and I think it was in 62 or 63. That was just a quick walk through town to get to Popes Farm. (I wasn't old enough to drive)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I remember it because my brother and I were running a trap line

:lol:I can't believe you remember the first time in town. I had to do a serious trip down memory lane and I think it was in 62 or 63. That was just a quick walk through town to get to Popes Farm. (I wasn't old enough to drive)

It was such a complete pain to load and unload the pistol everytime you got into or out of the vehicle. It was obvious that the law was counterproductive to safety, and had been passed merely for the convenience of game wardens.

It is my belief that we should never make conduct unlawful merely to make life easier for those we have hired to enforce the laws and keep the peace.