Thread: Unicorn: Defintion of the Term

Founder's Club Member

Unicorn: Defintion of the Term

Recently, reported in the Washington sub-forum, a genuine unicorn was discovered, and the term was correctly used to describe the person. But, that is the first correct usage of the term I've seen in a long while. Almost always the term is mis-used. And, I usually end up clearing up the misunderstanding (and false report of a unicorn sighting).

So, I decided to post this thread. Hoping to clear things up.

Unicorn. noun. An open-carrier who did not discover the legality of OC through a gun rights group or OCDO. This person found out OC was legal on his own, and just decided to start OCing. In the early days of OCDO, such a person was judged to be very rare. About as rare as a unicorn.

This explanation was posted in the early days by one of the original OCDO members, username Longwatch.

A unicorn is not just any other OCer not known to the spotter.

A special sub-species of unicorn lives in Arizona where OC was not unheard of before OCDO. Also, there are a few unicorns right here on OCDO. I believe Sonora Rebel is one. Some of these people were OCing as far back as the 1970's--well before OCDO.
    Last edited by Citizen; 11-06-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I learned about open carry before I learned about this site.

I guess I am a unicorn.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Well, I guess the tern or 'name' is what is important today. Back in my youth we did not call it 'open carry' we called it just plain old boring carrying a gun.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I learned open carry was legal in Idaho in about 1985. The only ones I saw were the occasional cowboy. I only started to open carry after finding this site.

I was a unicorn. I discovered open carry on my own. In fact, I was buying some ammo at a Walmart when Another customer came up and asked if I knew about VCDL and that's how I became a VCDL member and found out about this site.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I was a unicorn. I discovered open carry on my own. In fact, I was buying some ammo at a Walmart when Another customer came up and asked if I knew about VCDL and that's how I became a VCDL member and found out about this site.
    I learned about this site AFTER I started openly carrying.

I joined after I saw the cop who was arresting me for OC had this site up on his patrol car computer.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Same here. I've been OC'ing for 20 years. I discovered this forum last year.

It has definitely helped educate me in a few areas, especially on the exact laws for all the states I frequent. I discovered NV is actually more free than I originally thought. Now, I also make sure all my students don't get the same misinformation about OC that I was taught many years ago.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post

I joined after I saw the cop who was arresting me for OC had this site up on his patrol car computer.
    That has got to be the most original OCDO discovery story of all time.

We ought to add that to the homepage: Cops promote Open Carry Website to Arrestees!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Centurion

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    That has got to be the most original OCDO discovery story of all time.

We ought to add that to the homepage: Cops promote Open Carry Website to Arrestees!
    Certainly does sound ironic to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

I knew of the legality of open carry before finding the website. but for obvious reasons with age I didn't OC at the time!
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Was/is the cop assigned to keep tabs on the riff raff? Or, a closet OCer who is not permitted to come out of the closet due to "policy" directives? I'm confident that he "supports the 2A and all, but....."

Either way, he arrested you anyway. So, it is a moot point.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    I'd like to hear the rest of the story. "Was arrested" does not necessarily follow "was arresting." That's the nice thing about all the tenses in English: They communicate timing quite nicely. I hope that as the officer "was arresting" the carrier, he looked up OCDO, determined that he was in error, and corrected his actions before the carrier "was arrested."
    Last edited by eye95; 10-31-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I'd like to hear the rest of the story. "Was arrested" does not necessarily follow "was arresting." That's the nice thing about all the tenses in English: They communicate timing quite nicely. I hope that as the officer "was arresting" the carrier, he looked up OCDO, determined that he was in error, and corrected his actions before the carrier "was arrested."
    Disagree, when an officer is arresting you, you are arrested there is no in between phase and long drawn out process of arrest. He may decided to not take you to jail or let you go after realizing he made a mistake which would be interesting to find out more on this story.

I saw a Unicorn this summer , working on trusses three stories up, saw a young man early 20's OC'ing walking up the sidewalk, had my cousin tell him I wanted to talk to him, climbed down, he never heard of OCDO, had researched it found it wasn't illegal and decided to carry.

I was OCing on private property and was determined to do it in more public settings stumbled across OCDO, in researching how much trouble I might get into.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Very true regarding the use of 'tenses'. However, the post does not indicate that the citizen was not arrested after the process of arresting was initiated. We can only conclude, until more data is made available, that Freedom1Man was in fact arrested. Whether any further state action occurred after the arrest is a different question.

By the way, in the state of Missouri you are arrested when a cop slaps the cuffs on you or you submit to his custody. So, if a cop in Missouri wants to keep you safe, after a SD incident, while he sorts out the situation, and he slaps on the cuffs you are arrested.

Arrest.

544.180. An arrest is made by an actual restraint of the person of the defendant, or by his submission to the custody of the officer, under authority of a warrant or otherwise.
    Now, will a court rule that me being restrained for the "safety" of all a illegal arrest? Was this the intent of this statute? Is every physical restraint by a cop a arrest? I do not know. But if I am the victim of a crime and I use force as permitted under statute I would certainly sue the crap out of that cop for slapping me in cuffs. I am not safe while restrained and not able to defend myself. I was illegally arrested.

Banned
    I can only conclude that I need more information.

Warchild is another unicorn.

I like others knew it was legal before coming to this forum, but didn't dare do it until reading posts of others here.

Reading what happened in the earlier days of OCDO, and watching videos, in particular New Hampshire and Virgina come to mind, plus a few others like condition3 in california, I know for me anyway inspired me to stand up to abusive police. I would think I'm not alone in that. And that's probably why unicorns are such a rare breed, apart from AZ and perhaps a few other regions.
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-02-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

I'm a unicorn. Started open-carrying in restaurants with VCDL, during the Restaurant Ban period.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fgburner View Post
    I'm a unicorn. Started open-carrying in restaurants with VCDL, during the Restaurant Ban period.
    Not if you started opening carring with VCDL. Unicorns are people who just up and started OCing on their own after finding out it was legal--no connection to gun rights groups. Such people were judged to be about as rare as unicorns.

The whole point here isn't whether member A or B is or isn't a unicorn, though. The point is to steer back to the meaning of the term so people use the term correctly when posting about sighting another OCer in public. Do let us know if you are a unicorn (and whether you have any virgins following you .) Just please use the term more or less correctly.

Oh, hang it. Use the term however you want.

A buddy and I started doing some OCing in Indiana in the 70s, not only was there no OCDO there wasn't even an internet. In talking to some cops we learned the Indiana permit was NOT a concealed carry license, it was a license to carry for personal protection and did not stipulate method.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    A buddy and I started doing some OCing in Indiana in the 70s, not only was there no OCDO there wasn't even an internet. In talking to some cops we learned the Indiana permit was NOT a concealed carry license, it was a license to carry for personal protection and did not stipulate method.
    You need permission to defend yourself in Indiana?!

You need permission to defend yourself in Indiana?!
    You need a carry license to carry, period, as far as I know for the rules in Indiana. The nice thing is that the license is good for the life time of the holder.
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

U ne corn

I am a one horned horse, researching why there was so many nice holsters on the market and no one would see them got my interest up. Searched Pa. Law and found my answer by deduction. Open carry was defacto legal. Having one of the oldest glocks in the country I have carried it on and off openly for 24 years. After my arrest in 08 a whole lot of people now know open carry is in deed legal. Any questions? Be safe Mtn Jack