• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November Meet KC Side! 11/10/12

kcgunfan

Here we go again. I know perfectly well what we're talking about and where. From the KS AG's FAQ here:

http://ag.ks.gov/docs/documents/concealed-carry-faqs.pdf

· Can I, as a Licensee, remove my loaded handgun from its concealed position if I
am traveling in my vehicle and not be subject to criminal violations?
o Answer: Yes. Again, the changes to the transportation law allow a Licensee
to remove the handgun from a concealed position while they are traveling
in their vehicle even if the Licensee is in a jurisdiction where “open carry” has
been prohibited.

How can I legally transport a firearm in my vehicle anywhere in Kansas?
o Answer: K.S.A. 12-16,124(d) provides that “no person shall be prosecuted
under any ordinance, resolution or regulation for transporting a firearm in any
air, land or water vehicle if the firearm is unloaded and encased in a container
which completely encloses the firearm.” Again, concealed carry licensees are
not subject to local ordinances or resolutions regarding the manner of
transporting a loaded firearm.

Notice that both of these explicitly say that you must be a licensee to openly carry a firearm in a car, and to carry it armed or outside of a container that completely encases it.

It may be OK to do this in certain counties or cities, I didn't bother to investigate further since I do have a CCW endorsement.

My earlier advice still applies, stop getting your legal advice from cereal boxes.

I am afraid KCGUNFAN has it wrong. We are talking "open carry" and this isn't Missouri we're talking about, it's Kansas. You DO NOT require a CCW permit to "open carrying your vehicle or in public. Justin, do not listen to KCGUNFAN. He has no idea what he is talking about.

SixGunCowboy

Re: K.S.A. 16-124

Again, you are in error. I am talking about "open carry," and NOT CONCEALED CARRY. I give you this:

21-6302. Criminal carrying of a weapon (a) Criminal carrying of a weapon is knowingly carrying:
(4) any pistol, revolver or other firearm concealed on one's person except when on the person's land or in the person's abode or fixed place of business

(In NO WAY does any of this apply to "open carry" of a firearm either in a vehicle or in the open)
"Open carry" of a firearm in a vehicle on one's person in a car IS NOT considered CONCEALED. It IS legal to do so, with exception of areas that do not allow "open carry" due to existing ordinances.

This is from the Kansas State Legislature. Kansas State Law allows for "open carry" of a firearm where not restricted by city ordinances. And you DO NOT require a permit to "open carry."

Last edited:

ChiangShih

Well it appears opening weekend of deer season has stopped this meet. How about the following Saturday? The 17th? I'm still down for overland park. I understand the need to kill deer though. Lets make a NOV meet happen before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

mspgunner

Well it appears opening weekend of deer season has stopped this meet. How about the following Saturday? The 17th? I'm still down for overland park. I understand the need to kill deer though. Lets make a NOV meet happen before Thanksgiving.

The Missouri firearm deer season goes from November 10th through the 20th, depends how hard core you are....

NG19

For those who do not deer hunt.... It's like the Jeep thing, you just don't understand, sorry.

It's like New Years, Thanksgiving, and your best Birthday all rolled into one!

Deerhunting.jpg

Unfortunately that deer is off limits, only 3 pts on either side. Must be at least 4 pts on one side to shoot. Oh well, better luck next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

HighFlyingA380

the 17th is also a no-go for me, as I don't get enough of a fix from only one weekend. Then that entire following week and weekend I'll be gone for fll break, either in STL or at my farm.

WCEarp

Ah, yes the dreaded 8 point that looks like a 6 point. I have passed on those by mistake before. That's okay they're be back next year bigger and badder. Good luck to those who will miss the meet due to hunting, like me. We'll be able tell stories of what we got or what we didn't at the next meet.