• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Office of Legislative Research report on concealed carry in CT

ctyankee

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, so this may be "old news" to most of you, but I recently came across a report from the CT Office of Legislative Research authored in 2008 that specifically addressed the issue of concealed carry in CT at the following link:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0238.htm.

I've had a carry permit for many years but seldom carried out of fear of being harrassed and/or arrested due to an accidental exposure of my weapon through some "wardrobe malfunction."

On another topic, research of this site:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

also yielded similar reports which clearly explained CT's Castle Doctrine, and lack of any "Stand Your Ground" statute.

Freiheit417

I've had a carry permit for many years but seldom carried out of fear of being harrassed and/or arrested due to an accidental exposure of my weapon through some "wardrobe malfunction."

This is precisely why those who only carry concealed should also support keeping open carry fully legal, even if they choose not to engage in full OC themselves. In Florida for example, CC is mandated (with a few exceptions) and there is also an exception for "brief" exposure. Even with the "brief" exposure exception, people have been arrested and some convicted IIRC - check out the Florida section of the site.

Welcome to the forum! I hope your newfound understanding of the CT laws will encourage you to carry proudly.

Carry On.

Rich B

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is precisely why those who only carry concealed should also support keeping open carry fully legal, even if they choose not to engage in full OC themselves. In Florida for example, CC is mandated (with a few exceptions) and there is also an exception for "brief" exposure. Even with the "brief" exposure exception, people have been arrested and some convicted IIRC - check out the Florida section of the site.

Welcome to the forum! I hope your newfound understanding of the CT laws will encourage you to carry proudly.

Carry On.

Bang! Right on the head of the nail....only idiots or the ill informed would only support one form of carry (not that you can always get the commies to agree)

dcmdon

CTYankee,

I've had my pistol permit since 1991. After I got my permit I purchased a S&W 6906. Its about Glock 19 sized. I strapped it on and soon realized while bending and stretching in front of the mirror that I could never conceal it 100%. So I bought a Seecamp and carried it every day.

Pocket carry was how I carried every day for almost 20 years. Then I discovered the OC movement. While I have no interest in OCing, the work of guys like Rich and Ed and Shawn has made it so I no longer fear inadvertent
printing or even if a little of the handgun shows.

I rarely carry a pocket pistol now. I'm still a wuss when it comes to weight, but the ability to carry in an owb belt holster (I like leather pancakes) has been very liberating. My every day carry guns are a Kahr P9 and a S&W 340PD. The S&W weighs about 13 oz loaded and the Kahr weighs about 20 oz loaded.

Both are more comfortable in an OWB holster than a Ruger LCP was in my pocket.

I've done numerous experiments to see just what people notice and have been completely astonished. As a new carryer, whether open or concealed, its normal to think that all eyes are on you and that you must conceal 100%. This could not be further from the truth.

My first experiment was to wear my Glock 34 to Stop and Shop in Old Saybrook. I used my Kydex IDPA holster. It is canted outward for a good grip and is far from idea for concealment. It also sits low, for a fast draw.
I "concealed" it under a white Tshirt which left about an inch of slide and the entire lone wolf compensator hanging below the hem. After shopping for food and not having a single person even appear to notice my gun, I brought my groceries to the car. I then noticed an OSPD car sitting in the lot. So I decided to walk directly in front of him to see if he would notice. . . .Nothing. So I went back to my car and went home.

This was very liberating. While I don't generally want to carry my G34, I can. I now carry exclusively OWB (comfortable) with nothing more than a Tshirt or a polo shirt over it. I've never had anyone notice.
On several occasions I've said to my wife at the end of an evening "can you see my gun" and she would say "oh my god, yes". But then I ask her if she had noticed it at any time durring the evening, and her answer would be NO.

So there it is. You CAN print. Nobody notices. Thats the reality.
I am now domiciled in MA with a residence in CT. I carry the same way in MA. (no open carry allowed in MA. Its not prohibited by law, but since its a may issue state, all you have to do is piss off your CLEO and you are done. You can't even OWN a gun in MA without his blessing)

It really is amazing how the OC movement has benefitted me. When I go out with my two children, I go "heavy". If I'm biking, I go light, but still OWB. If I'm walking the dog in the woods and more concerned about 4 legged critters than 2 legged ones, its a .357 magnum in an owb. All "concealed" under nothing more than a T shirt.

I hope this helps.

Don

Freiheit417

So there it is. You CAN print. Nobody notices. Thats the reality.

This is true. I too have found most people indeed don't notice or don't care.

This summer I was in Essex and I was crouched down by the water looking at some ducks with my son. There were several people sitting down behind me, not too far away. I didn't realize that the grip of my pistol was printing badly, but my wife informed me of that fact later on. Either the people behind me didn't notice or they didn't care. Nobody called the police and nobody ran away screaming.

A couple weeks ago, I was eating lunch at a cafe with my wife and there was a guy there OC'ing a Glock. Apparently, he was a plain-clothes LEO since he had a badge beside his holster. I asked my wife later on if she noticed the guy OC'ing and walking around about 10' in front of us. She seemed a bit shocked and said "no!" I just smiled and then said he was an officer :lol:. The point is that she didn't even notice somebody with a pistol even though she's used to me carrying. The fact that he was a police officer was irrelevant since he could have been just some guy OC'ing wearing a polo shirt and khaki's. She still wouldn't have noticed.

Whenever I have carried openly, I have gotten a few brief looks but not much else. If people do seem to notice, I just smile and say hello. A person's demeanor is more likely to be noticed than their firearm.

I just thought I would share some more anecdotal evidence that most people don't notice. I hope this helps as well.

Last edited:

CTMarine87

Brother, thanks so much for finding this! I saw that report when I was on active duty, but I couldn't find it anywhere online since I've come home. I just got my pistol permit on Thursday (11/01/2012) after waiting for 11 weeks (I applied on August 11, 2012.) Don't have a gun yet (can't afford one, and I sold my Sig Sauer P229 .40, while I was on active duty to pay for an emergency flight home), but I would be hesitant to OC in Fairfield County (where I live) without this report on my person. Again, thanks!

SPOProds

Brother, thanks so much for finding this! I saw that report when I was on active duty, but I couldn't find it anywhere online since I've come home. I just got my pistol permit on Thursday (11/01/2012) after waiting for 11 weeks (I applied on August 11, 2012.) Don't have a gun yet (can't afford one, and I sold my Sig Sauer P229 .40, while I was on active duty to pay for an emergency flight home), but I would be hesitant to OC in Fairfield County (where I live) without this report on my person. Again, thanks!

I lived in BPT and Ocd everyday. Along with OCing in Stratford, Fairfield, Westport, Southport, Joesph, Greenwich and Darien with no problems. Was stopped once I'm BPT by aLEO and he called his supervisors and I was let go.

dcmdon

I lived in BPT and Ocd everyday. Along with OCing in Stratford, Fairfield, Westport, Southport, Joesph, Greenwich and Darien with no problems. Was stopped once I'm BPT by aLEO and he called his supervisors and I was let go.

It really is amazing. I'm a pretty clean cut looking person. But you don't need to be clean cut. SPO is a great guy. We've shot together a couple of times, but he has a certain look that makes suburban mommies nervous.

I think its great. You don't need to look like you might be a cop to OC or do what I do, which I call "Casual Carry". Its your right. And unless they change the law, you should not be concerned about doing so.

Don

LESGTINCT

"I brought my groceries to the car. I then noticed an OSPD car sitting in the lot. So I decided to walk directly in front of him to see if he would notice. . . .Nothing."

Maybe he did notice.....;)

Rich B

"I brought my groceries to the car. I then noticed an OSPD car sitting in the lot. So I decided to walk directly in front of him to see if he would notice. . . .Nothing."

Maybe he did notice.....;)

Indeed. OSPD has been 'handled' before with the issue. They certainly should know better. Chief Spera certainly does.

I have had plenty of cops see my firearm and just walk by. Some making more of a point than others to pretend I don't exist.

Whatever works...

Rich B

Rich, would probably say the same.

I am not one to judge. I don't care what you look like, if you aren't initiating aggression against me or anyone around me, I have no interest in the gun on your hip.

Besides, the first time Don and I met I was wearing a hoodie and OCing I believe...

I do not buy into the belief that you need to dress like a cop to OC.

Last edited:

SPOProds

Lol of course you have to be the "correct" one. Just be politically incorrect and say i look like a thug. :banghead:

BFDMikeCT

I carry almost every minute I'm not at work. I have a M&P 9mm and carry in a OWB desantis leather holster. All summer all I did was put a t shirt over it and go, printing severely and have had only one person notice. He happened to be a marine with 3-4 tours in Vietnam so I would guess he had a habit of looking for that sort of thing. One day I hope to have the courage to OC around Bridgeport where I live and surrounding towns. Thank you for all the great stories and links. Everyday I am getting more comfortable with the thought of OC.

Last edited:

SPOProds

One day I hope to have the courage to OC around Bridgeport where I live and surrounding towns. Thank you for all the great stories and links. Everyday I am getting more comfortable with the thought of OC.

Why are you concerned about OC in BPT? Any questions ask, i OCed all over FFLD county for 2 years with one run in. Most of my OC was in BPT. I got more attention when i use to CC! I could go on with random stories with BPT residents.