• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unarmed in Seattle?

Contrarian

See the link - looking for comments; looks like the SPD is clueless, again.

"Pugel said lawfully owned guns are too often misused against loved ones, in suicides or accidentally fired by children or their visiting friends."

Assistant Chief Jim Pugel.

MKEgal

I don't see a link, but I agree that the Ass. Chief is clueless.
Or maybe he's projecting onto the general lawfully-armed public what he's seen happen "too often" in his own home, or with his officers.
Either way, it sure looks like he drank the Brady Bunch koolaid.

EMNofSeattle

I don't see a link, but I agree that the Ass. Chief is clueless.
Or maybe he's projecting onto the general lawfully-armed public what he's seen happen "too often" in his own home, or with his officers.
Either way, it sure looks like he drank the Brady Bunch koolaid.

of the Seattle police officer on the beat that I've talked to about gun rights, not a single nary one of them has had the same opinion as Asst Chief Pugel.

However in SPD only Lieutenants and above are allowed to officially speak on behalf of the Department. so the officers opinion on the street is not "official"

However you can't doubt some of his numbers, many more suicides occur then justifiables, and his department likely responds to far too many accidents and DV situations. Now this is not an acceptable reason to restrict our rights, but I can't fault Pugel for thinking that way.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...However in SPD only Lieutenants and above are allowed to officially speak on behalf of the Department. so the officers opinion on the street is not "official" ...

No LEO's opinion is official. They are LEOs, not lawmakers or judges. Most are also elitist pigs who hope you forget that bit.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
It's the very same thing in the military: Only high-ranking officers (usually generals) are considered "experts" on anything, so only they can speak/get a slot on some talking-head show. The "lowly" enlisted men (and their NCOs) -- who could REALLY point out the Bravo-Sierra in combat-zone goals & policy -- THEY don't rate a word at all and are NEVER consulted. They bear the brunt of the so-called "war" but have no "credentials" to influence policy, training, response (those stupid Rules of Engagement) or anything else.

"Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die"
-- Charge of the Light Brigade, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1854)

What has changed since then? Nothing...

Likewise, the average cop is out there on the street in harm's way every day -- not sitting in some office -- but he/she has no say, either...and pays the price for it.

EMNofSeattle

No LEO's opinion is official. They are LEOs, not lawmakers or judges. Most are also elitist pigs who hope you forget that bit.

Not official as in legally binding, official as in who has the authority to claim their position in the department while stating their opinion. No where did I say a policemens opinion carried legal weight

OC for ME

ALL cops should be barred, legally, from holding a opinion while on the clock. Off the clock they can hold and recite any opinion that suits them as any citizen has a right to do.

4angrybadgers

<snip>
However you can't doubt some of his numbers, many more suicides occur then justifiables, and his department likely responds to far too many accidents and DV situations. Now this is not an acceptable reason to restrict our rights, but I can't fault Pugel for thinking that way.

I can - and do - doubt his numbers! What are his numbers? What is your basis for stating "...many more suicides occur than justifiables..."?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
ALL cops should be barred, legally, from holding a opinion while on the clock. Off the clock they can hold and recite any opinion that suits them as any citizen has a right to do.

And out of uniform.