• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

kicked out of NCSECU

papa bear

yes i was kicked out of the State Employees Credit Union today. because i was carrying a firearm for self defense.

even though, i have been carrying there for almost two years, and no one was bothered by it. i even have carried in other cities. i thought NCSECU was friendly to the laws in NC, and self defense

i was going in to see about some financing, when some dimwit at he desk said you can't carry that in a financial place so i took the time to explain the laws to him. i also pointed out that the sign on the door says "no concealed firearms". since i was carrying open that there shouldn't be a problem

after i talked to some one about credit. i had to bring back some proof of income. while i was there this woman informed me that i could not carry on the property. i pointed out what the sign said . she informed me that she did not care what it said no guns were allowed there because of the workplace. i asked her what that had to do with me since i did not work there. she said again she did not care that it is a work place rule. still i said that did not make any sense and i tried to explain to her the NC laws. she said it made the employees "Uncomfortable". still i tried to explain to her how stupid and Hopolophobic this was. but she started to do the "Functional Intelligence" thing and kept repeating the same thing. i said well this is going no where, what is your supervisors number which she gave it to me. i said well there are lots of other banks out there that doesn't have a problem with self defense

i called her boss Bobby Hall, he said he was vice president. i told him i found that the woman was totally irrational and insulting by accusing me of misconduct. i told him she had told me to leave. he said that it was NCSECU that "weapons" were not allowed on their property (in which case i told him i had never shot anybody with this gun so it couldn't be a weapon). he tried to use that term several times, where i would point out where he was wrong.

i told him i was a law abiding citizen and not even had a ticket in three years and 10 before that i was not going to rob the place and how BG do not wear there guns in the open. i told him the laws in NC. he tried to interrupt me to say that if you have a license in NC you still could not carry there it was against corp. policy. i countered that in NC you do not have to have a "licenses to carry, and that the constitution of the USA and the constitution of NC says that we have the right to carry. he said well they didn't want a shoot out in their lobby's. i countered with have a firearm in the open would probably stop someone from starting something in the first place. i asked him what would someone do then if only the BGs can carry there, i explain to him that would be the people carrying there. do you want people to just die. he said oh no. he said that in 75 years they have had one shooting. i asked who shot who and he replied it was a BG shot a teller. i said so you are blaming me for one incident that happened in 75 years. i said don't you wish someone like me would have been there to stop him. i also pointed out that all of the mass shootings were in a GFZ
he said it looks like he would never be able to convince me. i said no, because i am a reasonable thinking person that knows better

i asked him if police could carry there. at which he said of course they are on duty. i said not necessarily, they are off the clock unless they are investigating something you have done wrong.
i also pointed out that i have had more training then 90%of LEO, and practice with my firearm weekly. most cops only qualify with there fire arms once a year. he said can you say that everybody does that? i said absolutely every body that carries on a daily basis does, probably more so.

we have left it that i will go on up the food chain. he said i could write a proposal to the board if i wanted. if any of you would like to send me a letter to send to the board i would appreciate it
i am with two other banks that have never said a word to me (of course these guys didn't either).hate that i am not going to be with NCSECU anymore

sorry about the rant guys. i am pissed off and disappointed too

frogfish

Sorry that would of left me disgusted as well. I would of withdrawn all my money and closed my accounts on the spot.

And I hate that "functional intelligence" thing people do when they know they are wrong

WTFOVER

My NCSECU isn't even posted, in fact the ones I've been in haven't been posted.

moonie

I've carried in a couple around here, one in High Point and one in Kernersville, never been a problem. There have been other posts on the board showing NCSECU has been firearm friendly in the past. Please keep us informed as I'm sure lots of us would like to know the outcome.

bc.cruiser

OP posted this on another forum also. A point from there: SECU corp allows the individual facility managers to post or not as they wish.

If you are a member of the CU, you are an owner rather than a customer. After all, you have to buy in to have an account.
Attend the board meetings, and get member support for any proposals you feel needed (allowing guns, for instance).

If a cashier or anyone other than the manager goes on about "no guns", don't argue. Don't run for cover either. Unless the person in charge says it, it ain't so. 14.159-13 says who can tell you to leave. "Lawful occupant" and other "authorized person" will not normally include cashiers or customer service persons.

papa bear

Sorry that would of left me disgusted as well. I would of withdrawn all my money and closed my accounts on the spot.

And I hate that "functional intelligence" thing people do when they know they are wrong

yes FROG. i will be withdrawing my accounts. i was going to go by it was just the branch, but the VP told me it was company policy

Functional intelligence was a phrase i coined a few years ago. it mostly applies to the government, but can be a applied to anybody that has just enough intelligence to function

papa bear

OP posted this on another forum also. A point from there: SECU corp allows the individual facility managers to post or not as they wish.

If you are a member of the CU, you are an owner rather than a customer. After all, you have to buy in to have an account.
Attend the board meetings, and get member support for any proposals you feel needed (allowing guns, for instance).

If a cashier or anyone other than the manager goes on about "no guns", don't argue. Don't run for cover either. Unless the person in charge says it, it ain't so. 14.159-13 says who can tell you to leave. "Lawful occupant" and other "authorized person" will not normally include cashiers or customer service persons.

Not trying to argue BC, but the VP told me it was company policy. if a company believes this then they are to be avoided

nuc65

Activist Member
Not trying to argue BC, but the VP told me it was company policy. if a company believes this then they are to be avoided

I see your point but if you have money in the credit union you can vote the VP off, it isn't 'their' CU it's the members CU. Totally different from a bank, you can change and challenge rules like that.

SEO

State law clearly indicates where firearms are prohibited. A Finacial Institute IS one of them....

bc.cruiser

State law clearly indicates where firearms are prohibited. A Finacial Institute IS one of them....

We understand you are recent. The change in law is also: Incorporated by way of HB650, CC in financial institutions became legal 1 Dec 2011. OC was not previously illegal. Financial institutions do have the authority, but not the requirement, to post against carry of any or all kinds.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v6.pdf

the relevant item is 14-415.11 c (8)

You might put this link in favorites. It will take you directly to a directory of the NCGS. Most of the gun laws are in Ch 14.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutestoc.pl

You might also download the "carry" flyer from the sticky at the top of this forum.:D

Last edited:

papa bear

I see your point but if you have money in the credit union you can vote the VP off, it isn't 'their' CU it's the members CU. Totally different from a bank, you can change and challenge rules like that.

good point NUC I will have to look into that

moonie

Financial institutions has NEVER been one of them, until December of last year you couldn't carry concealed in them but that has been changed and is now fine, unless posted.

Open carry has always been fine, unless posted.

lannie

Open Carry has allways been legal in nc. I have carried in Wachovia for years and now carry in Wells Fargo.
You can now carry conceal in most banks that are not POSTED.

Lannie

SEO

My apologies on my recent post/response. I recently went through a firearm course through the state which obviously had a teacher that will try to brain wash you. I have taken it upon myself to dig a little deeper in what was taught and what the law actually is. Everyone is completely correct and its my fault I jumped the gun , no pun intended :) , on my post. BTW: It was a firearm certification course for my job...

moonie

My apologies on my recent post/response. I recently went through a firearm course through the state which obviously had a teacher that will try to brain wash you. I have taken it upon myself to dig a little deeper in what was taught and what the law actually is. Everyone is completely correct and its my fault I jumped the gun , no pun intended :) , on my post. BTW: It was a firearm certification course for my job...

Someone should inform the teacher of this course that they are incorrect as this could cause their students some issues, possibly legal issues.

remijenkins

This is from NCHB 650

§ 14-415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(8) a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state-owned rest
areas or state-owned rest stops along the highways, On any private premises
where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting
of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or
control of the premises

The section in red is actually strikethrough in the bill meaning it was edited out from the law.

So does this now mean that if a bank does NOT post a sign about concealed handguns that you can conceal it?