• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am in need of a 2A Friendly Property Management Company

Wolfebane

So, for the first time ever yesterday I had to actually go into the office of the company that manages the property I own and am renting out. I wasn't receiving the level of communication that was satisfactory and I figured since I was out and about I might as well swing on by.

I go in, introduce myself and have a pleasant conversation with the staff about my issue and to whom I may speak to it about. I receive my information and go on my way.

Today, just a few minutes ago, I receive a call from the person I was to contact. We talk and I get my question answered.

Then the first shoe drops. "If you could please leave your gun outside next time you come in that would be great, is that ok?"

To which I respond, "OK, if that is the case then I will have to find another rental management company once this new tenants lease is up."

She responded with "[pause] ummm...may I ask why that is?

Me: "I prefer not to give my money and time to a company that does not support the constitution."

We talked a bit more about how she supports the constitution and how she is all for gun rights and that she just asked because "some of her girls" (meaning the office staff) had an issue with it - [I saw absolutely no negative reactions from anyone I spoke to in the office during my visit]

Eventually the conversation ended with my offering to meet the staff again and answer any questions that they may have about the issue. And from her side that she will tell her staff that they will "just have to deal with it" in reference to my expressing my constitutional right to bear arms.

At this stage the conversation ended on an amicable note. But I wish to have a backup plan in place in case the issue is forced and I need to find another management company. So if anyone knows a 2A friendly management company or at least one that takes no stance and wouldn't bother me about it - in Oak Harbor or one that serves Whidbey Island I would greatly appreciate it - also quality of service is a must - I think I'd rather stick with these people than down grade to crappier service since I never have to go into the office anyway, yesterday was just a fluke.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
When it comes to where you live or your livelihood. Cover the gun up and go about your business concealed. Neither are worth losing when you are not in the position of influence.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
When it comes to where you live or your livelihood. Cover the gun up and go about your business concealed. Neither are worth losing when you are not in the position of influence.

I think you misunderstood the question.

He owns the property that he is leasing out through a property management company. He has the influence as the management company wants to retain the property to continue to make money.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I think you misunderstood the question.

He owns the property that he is leasing out through a property management company. He has the influence as the management company wants to retain the property to continue to make money.

Ah, I see that now. My landlord uses Windermere PM, and none of them have ever said anything about my firearm. That does not make them 2A friendly though and I only see someone twice a year.

sudden valley gunner

Most real estate agencies, I have dealt with will also offer management services.

If I see James the agent I deal with sometimes, I'll ask your question.

Great Job on handling that situation, by the way!

amlevin

Property Management Companies are like Liberals in Seattle. They are everywhere and there are plenty of them. If you're unsatisfied with the one you have due to their stance on you exercising your rights then just grab another one. Just tell the new one that you intend on exercising your rights whenever coming into their office. If they and any of their staff have an issue, move on. I'd bet that there won't be an issue with your current one if you threaten to take your business away. It's not like the Economy is booming and companies like these can pick and choose.

Today the Customer is more in charge than ever before. It's just a matter of pointing out the realities to the Owner of businesses like this.

Trigger Dr

AH....but he IS in the position of influence. The property manager works for HIM!!! Give the mgr his instructions, remind him who is the employer and who is the employee. State the facts of the relationship. If they want to quit, so be it.. there are more out there. If, on the other hand theycomply, it is a done deal and you still have control.

CA2373

Girl get your gun~

she just asked because "some of her girls" (meaning the office staff) had an issue with it - - they will "just have to deal with it" in reference to my expressing my constitutional right to bear arms.

Seems to me that "some of her girls" need to go out get some training and get them selves some guns so they can be on an equal footing as it were.

Further more I think most women should be armed at all times. How often do you hear in the news about a mass shooting done by a woman or any gun crime done by women? Not often. THINK about it.

My 2 cents

(well, if that don't stir up some dust I don't know what will) lol

~catherine

Wolfebane

UPDATE: I went in again to the office to get copies of every piece of paperwork they have for my property, due to an issue with a new tenant that I will not discuss here, and went concealed. Apparently it wasn't "some of her girls" but just one. And she spoke up to me about it and admitted it was here and apologized and explained why she had said something.

It was apparently because the instant I walked in all she saw was GUN, and instantly jumped to "Irate tenant/owner" but then when I introduced myself (had many phone dealings with her) I guess things cooled down a bit.

She explained how she has always been very afraid of guns ever since she was a child and why her reaction was so strong when I first walked in, but then later she talked to her boyfriend who explained to her that WA was open carry etc.

I told her about this site, and some places that it would be possible for her to take some gun safety/intro courses locally. But she, unfortunately, didn't seem interested - but what can you do with a fear that has been ingrained since early childhood.

Nice lady, so unless the issue is pushed again, or this tenant issue causes me too much hassle, I suppose I will be sticking with them for now.

P.S.

Also, who is Manu and what is the story behind him?

Trigger Dr

MANU... A 1st Class 2A supporter, restaurant owner, Strong OC advocate. Some one else who knew him better should continue.

sudden valley gunner

Perhaps just a link to a thread about whatever the deal with Manu was, assuming there is a thread.

Not sure if there is a specific thread, but he gave OC'ers a discount for OCing into one of his restaurants held, meeting there to help fight Seattle's gun ban, and he had problems with one of his restaurants because of his gun stance with the folks he leased his property from.

Good job on handling that situation. You have made a great stride in easing the fears of someone about those who carry weapons.

Last edited: