• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Real life LE encounter stories from Oklahoma

Oklapatriot

I thought I'd start this thread so that folks could report real life encounters with their local PD and the results. I was pulled over in Yukon the other day for speeding. This was the first time I had been stopped while carrying. I informed the Police Officer that I was armed and that I had a concealed carry license. My next comment was "what do you want me to do?" He was cool and asked to see my drivers license, CC license and insurance verification. No more mention was made of the weapon and the officer was extremely polite. Congratulations to the Yukon Police Department.

Gary S

Im glad you had a good experience with it. When i was pulled over my first time i felt like i did something illegal, i was yelled at by the officer as he had his gun drawn and in my direction and tells me he is nervous, huh i think i was a little more nervous, especially when he told me if i go for my gun it will be a fight he plans on winning. I don't think he realized having my ccl meant im a law abiding citizen.

ethorman

Two times pulled over both for speeding:

1st- Pulled over immediately informed the LEO that I was armed (had license, insurance and CCW permit in hand) The LEO then asked for my weapon and took it with all my information back to his vehicle. (Weapon was in holster inside glove box). Upon retuning the LEO had cleared the weapon, and took every single round out of the mag. Wrote me a ticket and then walked slowly back to his vehicle with his hand on his weapon, eyes trained on me. (Lawton Cop)

2nd- Pulled over immediately informed the LEO that I was armed (did not have license, insurance and CCW in hand) The LEO then asked for all my info and where my weapon was located. After that he took my info and put my weapon on top of the vehicle. Then went back to his vehicle, wrote me a ticket, gave me my weapon and then turned around and walked back to his vehicle, back to me. (OHP Cop)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

oklapatriot this is a tremendous idea. I want to start an identical thread(and make it a sticky) on my States page. We can applaud(by name) the LEOs that are supportive (the good), the LEOs that give the whole thing a bad name(the bad), and the LEO/thugs that prone out or shoot (the ugly). Do it by name. "It ain't slander if'in its true".
This could be historical data to use in the future.
What say you

okiephlyer

oklapatriot this is a tremendous idea. I want to start an identical thread(and make it a sticky) on my States page. We can applaud(by name) the LEOs that are supportive (the good), the LEOs that give the whole thing a bad name(the bad), and the LEO/thugs that prone out or shoot (the ugly). Do it by name. "It ain't slander if'in its true".
This could be historical data to use in the future.
What say you

I think I have seen something like that in the Washington page, but more of a local area. ie The Sound, East Bay, etc, but none were stickied.

hermannr

Two times pulled over both for speeding:

1st- Pulled over immediately informed the LEO that I was armed (had license, insurance and CCW permit in hand) The LEO then asked for my weapon and took it with all my information back to his vehicle. (Weapon was in holster inside glove box). Upon retuning the LEO had cleared the weapon, and took every single round out of the mag. Wrote me a ticket and then walked slowly back to his vehicle with his hand on his weapon, eyes trained on me. (Lawton Cop)

2nd- Pulled over immediately informed the LEO that I was armed (did not have license, insurance and CCW in hand) The LEO then asked for all my info and where my weapon was located. After that he took my info and put my weapon on top of the vehicle. Then went back to his vehicle, wrote me a ticket, gave me my weapon and then turned around and walked back to his vehicle, back to me. (OHP Cop)

Not good either one. There is no reason for the officer to sieze your weapon, and after Nov 1, It will actually be criminal activity (on the LEO's part)

If you EVER have that happen again...be absolutely sure you file a formal complaint with the officer's department...and follow up, find out what the department is doing to correct the situation...you cannot let them bully you. Those two obviously need(ed) some extra training.

gprod55

Terry Stop

I have been pulled over for speeding, not wearing a seat belt, headlight/tailight out. Each time I present the officer with my drivers license, ccl, and insurance papers. In the past 15 years I have recieved 2 traffic citations. Each time I have been asked where it was located. Never have I had to relinquish the gun. All but twice I have recieved warnings. Written and or verbal. Most of them here in Central Oklahoma. The 2 traffic citations were from the Norman PD and Okc PD. I have had good encounters with the Sherriffs Department, OHP, Norman PD, Okc PD. I guess I've been blessed by being stopped with officers who considered me one of the good guys.
Having my wife next to me wagging her finger at me where the officer can see her, stating that she is going to cut ten pounds off my foot to slow me down didn't hurt either, as he apologized and I guess felt sorry for me. Being polite can go a long way to save ones pocket book.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I have been pulled over for speeding, not wearing a seat belt, headlight/tailight out. Each time I present the officer with my drivers license, ccl, and insurance papers. In the past 15 years I have recieved 2 traffic citations. Each time I have been asked where it was located. Never have I had to relinquish the gun. All but twice I have recieved warnings. Written and or verbal. Most of them here in Central Oklahoma. The 2 traffic citations were from the Norman PD and Okc PD. I have had good encounters with the Sherriffs Department, OHP, Norman PD, Okc PD. I guess I've been blessed by being stopped with officers who considered me one of the good guys.
Having my wife next to me wagging her finger at me where the officer can see her, stating that she is going to cut ten pounds off my foot to slow me down didn't hurt either, as he apologized and I guess felt sorry for me. Being polite can go a long way to save ones pocket book.

Traffic stops and Terry Stops are two different things. Traffic stops are for traffic violations. Terry Stops are primarily foot encounters because the cop was suspicious of something. The biggest difference is that in traffic stops, the cop generally observed a violation, while in a Terry Stop the cop only suspects an offense.

Now, you can be Terry Stopped in a car. Say, the cop observed your OCd gun, and then saw you don a jacket as you climbed into the car. Depending on the state, he now suspects you of CCing without a license and decides to Terry Stop you. You just happen to be driving instead of walking when he seizes you.

But, generally, traffic stops and Terry Stops are two different things.

hrdware

Not good either one. There is no reason for the officer to sieze your weapon, and after Nov 1, It will actually be criminal activity (on the LEO's part).

I do not believe this to be true. The only reference to disarming in the law is that an officer can not disarm you if the only reason for contact is open carry. The only other mention of officer involvement with your firearms says an officer cannot inspect your firearm without reasonable suspicion of a crime. There is a difference between inspection and disarming.

ethorman

Remember the key word other criminal activity, if the reason your pulled over is for speeding and then upon the stop the LEO knows your OCing, and there is no other criminal activity, there should be no disarming. But inspecting my license and making upsure it's properly holstered may be considered ok. But what if they ask to check ammo, how do they know its under 45 caliber and ammo is not designed to penetrate body armo unless they inspect? How do you do that without disarming a citizen.

"The person shall display the handgun license on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license in response to that demand. "

hrdware

Remember the key word other criminal activity, if the reason your pulled over is for speeding and then upon the stop the LEO knows your OCing, and there is no other criminal activity, there should be no disarming. But inspecting my license and making upsure it's properly holstered may be considered ok. But what if they ask to check ammo, how do they know its under 45 caliber and ammo is not designed to penetrate body armo unless they inspect? How do you do that without disarming a citizen.

The problem is though, what is the definition of "crime". Is a violation of the law a crime? If so, speeding could be considered both a crime and a traffic violation. If you fight a speeding ticket, you go to traffic court, not criminal court. I have not seen a definition of the word crime in statute and I have neither the time or money to be the test case to get it defined.

F350

Not good either one. There is no reason for the officer to sieze your weapon, and after Nov 1, It will actually be criminal activity (on the LEO's part)

If you EVER have that happen again...be absolutely sure you file a formal complaint with the officer's department...and follow up, find out what the department is doing to correct the situation...you cannot let them bully you. Those two obviously need(ed) some extra training.

OK after NOV 1 it is criminal; are there any real penalties for the cop that violated this?? Or is it just a finger wagging?

gprod55

Traffic stops and Terry Stops are two different things. Traffic stops are for traffic violations. Terry Stops are primarily foot encounters because the cop was suspicious of something. The biggest difference is that in traffic stops, the cop generally observed a violation, while in a Terry Stop the cop only suspects an offense.

Now, you can be Terry Stopped in a car. Say, the cop observed your OCd gun, and then saw you don a jacket as you climbed into the car. Depending on the state, he now suspects you of CCing without a license and decides to Terry Stop you. You just happen to be driving instead of walking when he seizes you.

But, generally, traffic stops and Terry Stops are two different things.

My error. Thanks for the clarification.

hermannr

Hrdware: We are innocent until proven guilty...we are supposed to be secure in our private affairs (no unreasonable search and siezure) The law that states they may demand your license absence of and reasonable suspician of criminal activity, may or may not be ruled unconstitutional depending on how LE applies it, and how the court sees LE'ments application of the law. Random license checks WILL be considered unconstitutional, just like random traffic stops for a license check have been already so ruled.

F350: I read the law awhile back, so I can't say for sure, or point to the paragraph (other than the law did specifically make it criminal activity) I believe it was a called a class A misdemeaner.

I stand by my statement, and search of your person, or siezure of your weapon, other than for reasonable suspician of CRIMINAL activity...is illegal. A traffic violations are civil infractions, not criminal offences. Why do I say that? Do you get a misdemeaner charge for running a stop sign, or having a headlight out?

Depending on the state, DUI may/or may not/be a criminal offense, or may be a criminal offence only if it damages a person or property, or may not be a criminal offense at all...DUI is strictly state dependent.

LE cannot legally disarm you without reasonable suspician of CRIMINAL activity.

docachna

Real Life Encounters thread

Your Real Life Encounters summarizing encounters with LEO's is a great idea.

In my former state of Ohio, Ohioans For Concealed Carry ( http://www.ohioccw.org/ ) has a separate sub-forum dedicated to nothing but such encounters, both CC and OC.

The OC sub-forum requires that you join the board to view (not join OFCC). If you want an idea of OC encounters in a state where OC has been the case for some time now, I encourage you to join the board.

Okies (I lived there for 13 years, so ah kin say that !!!), welcome to the world of OC:

* know the law
* record at all times if you are OC'ing
* behave impeccably even if you are challenged or insulted
* don't argue the law on the roadside with an LEO - you will NOT win
* on the other hand, your best friend is the phrase "Am I free to leave ?"
* most important - CARRY ON ! :D

Brandon Harwell

Went by BassPro on the way home and decided this would be the best place to OC for the first time. Upon entering I was greeted like normal and then asked if I had a license and if I would. Be pulling my gun out for anything while in the store. Answered yes, no. The guy said have a great day. While shopping I was approached by a man and his boy(7ish) and he asked if I had had any problems and told me I was the first he had seen. As we were chatting it came up that he was a Oklahoma county sheriff drug task force officer. He looked at his son and said, see this is what the new law we were talking about allows. His son thought it was cool. He actually pleaded with me to keep it up and asked that I OC everywhere I can, 1 to make people aware and 2 to show them the good guys are the ones doing it. He also mentioned that the sheriff was 100% behind it.
All in all it was pleasant.

Brandon9mm

Went by BassPro on the way home and decided this would be the best place to OC for the first time. Upon entering I was greeted like normal and then asked if I had a license and if I would. Be pulling my gun out for anything while in the store. Answered yes, no. The guy said have a great day. While shopping I was approached by a man and his boy(7ish) and he asked if I had had any problems and told me I was the first he had seen. As we were chatting it came up that he was a Oklahoma county sheriff drug task force officer. He looked at his son and said, see this is what the new law we were talking about allows. His son thought it was cool. He actually pleaded with me to keep it up and asked that I OC everywhere I can, 1 to make people aware and 2 to show them the good guys are the ones doing it. He also mentioned that the sheriff was 100% behind it.
All in all it was pleasant.

That is a great experience. Sounds like everything is going great so far.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I run a wrecker service in OKC, and run wrecker calls here and there as needed. Tonight, we got a call for a crash from OHP. All of my on duty drivers were on other calls, so off I go.

I got on scene and saw the troopers were guys I had worked accidents with before. I talked to one about what needed to happen, moved my truck and got to work.

After doing a lot of scene cleanup, hooking up my tow, and talking with the person whose car I was taking, I asked one of the troopers, "Am I your first?" He hadn't even noticed until I asked him. He told me he's all for it, and he liked the articles in the newspaper. And yes, I was his first. He had been sort of looking for an open carrier for the last two days.

ethansisson

OK after NOV 1 it is criminal; are there any real penalties for the cop that violated this?? Or is it just a finger wagging?

This is found in Title 21, section 1290.8, paragraph B. There is no penalty or provision for relief in the statute (it has no "teeth"), so basically just a finger-wagging, if that.

Last edited:

rpyne

This is found in Title 21, section 1290.8, paragraph B. There is no penalty or provision for relief in the statute (it has no "teeth"), so basically just a finger-wagging, if that. However, memorizing the phrasing and the section number and reciting it to a LEO if he or she is breaking the law may (or may not) scare them enough to make them reverse course. Some cops don't like to take risks with people who know the law.

While the law might not carry any teeth, it does does give grounds for a civil case against the officer.