Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Open Carry Lunch Birch Run Nov. 24th

  1. #1
    Regular Member ken243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    141

    Open Carry Lunch Birch Run Nov. 24th

    Come join fellow OC'ers for some good food, conversation and shopping for new toys:

    When: November 24th 2012 11:00am

    Who: Anyone!

    What: Lunch and shopping.

    Where: Tony's Restaurant
    8781 Main St
    Birch Run, MI 48415
    (989) 624-5860
    They do not sell alcohol so non-CPL OC'ers are good to go.

    We plan to go to the Birch Run Expo center after we eat for their gun show. Also, the Birch Run Outlet mall is across the street. This would be the perfect time to do some Christmas shopping.

    NOTE: Loaded firearms are not allowed in the gun show except for LEO. I will be contacting officials to change their minds. I will update if we will be allowed to carry loaded in the show. Worst case our pistols will be required to be unloaded and a zip-tie in the action with ammo checked at the door. Below is a link to the Mi Gun Shows web site. Their rules are on the main page.
    http://www.migunshows.com

    Look forward to seeing you there. Bring a friend, spouse or colleague along to educate them on OC. Please post a note if you are able to attend. I would like to give the restaurant a close head count a few days prior.
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

  2. #2
    Regular Member ken243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    141

    sticky

    Could this event please get a "sticky" mods?
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

  3. #3
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    Open Carry Lunch Birch Run Nov. 24th

    Quote Originally Posted by ken243 View Post
    Could this event please get a "sticky" mods?
    I just "reported" the OP asking them to sticky.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    I try to avoid that groups shows because of the disarming.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  5. #5
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by ken243 View Post
    Come join fellow OC'ers for some good food, conversation and shopping for new toys:

    When: November 24th 2012 11:00am

    Who: Anyone!

    What: Lunch and shopping.

    Where: Tony's Restaurant
    8781 Main St
    Birch Run, MI 48415
    (989) 624-5860
    They do not sell alcohol so non-CPL OC'ers are good to go.

    We plan to go to the Birch Run Expo center after we eat for their gun show. Also, the Birch Run Outlet mall is across the street. This would be the perfect time to do some Christmas shopping.

    NOTE: Loaded firearms are not allowed in the gun show except for LEO. I will be contacting officials to change their minds. I will update if we will be allowed to carry loaded in the show. Worst case our pistols will be required to be unloaded and a zip-tie in the action with ammo checked at the door. Below is a link to the Mi Gun Shows web site. Their rules are on the main page.
    http://www.migunshows.com

    Look forward to seeing you there. Bring a friend, spouse or colleague along to educate them on OC. Please post a note if you are able to attend. I would like to give the restaurant a close head count a few days prior.
    Good luck on that. I've talked to these people before. They've always told me, the reason is their insurance requires it, and they don't budge on that subject.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  6. #6
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Good luck on that. I've talked to these people before. They've always told me, the reason is their insurance requires it, and they don't budge on that subject.
    That is patently false. Other shows manage to do business without trampling human rights; this crew is in it for the almighty dollar.

    Resist them, my brothers!

    Sorry, someone else will have to sticky. I refuse on moral grounds.
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 11-03-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  7. #7
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    That is patently false. Other shows manage to do business without trampling human rights; this crew is in it for the almighty dollar.

    Resist them, my brothers!

    Sorry, someone else will have to sticky. I refuse on moral grounds.
    Oh, I'm sure they are. Out to make a buck that is. But I'm just telling you, that's gonna be their excuse, real or not.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  8. #8
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: Open Carry Lunch Birch Run Nov. 24th

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    That is patently false. Other shows manage to do business without trampling human rights; this crew is in it for the almighty dollar.

    Resist them, my brothers!

    Sorry, someone else will have to sticky. I refuse on moral grounds.
    I'm with you on this, Shadow Bear. Raggs and I had no issues at the Delta Plex while OCing. I'm sure if J&G can allow loaded OC, other shows can too. If every gun owner refused to go until one may actually carry a loaded firearm while attending the show, this policy would be changed immediately.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  9. #9
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I'm with you on this, Shadow Bear. Raggs and I had no issues at the Delta Plex while OCing. I'm sure if J&G can allow loaded OC, other shows can too. If every gun owner refused to go until one may actually carry a loaded firearm while attending the show, this policy would be changed immediately.
    Time for a contest- name the gunshow that doesn't allow ANY lawful carry.

    Fuddapalooza

    Fuddfest 2012

    Gun Owners for Obama
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  10. #10
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Gun Owners for Obama
    Sadly there are people like this.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I'm with you on this, Shadow Bear. Raggs and I had no issues at the Delta Plex while OCing. I'm sure if J&G can allow loaded OC, other shows can too. If every gun owner refused to go until one may actually carry a loaded firearm while attending the show, this policy would be changed immediately.
    Sadly, there are people who would buy guns at these shows, and not care that their rights were being trampled on. And there are others, who might object, but would not want to pass up on the deals to be found. Myself, I've not gone to a gun show in years now. Even when I have the money, I don't go, since MIGunshows is usually the one running it, so I know I'm gonna have to disarm, or unload, and I won't do that.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I'm with you on this, Shadow Bear. Raggs and I had no issues at the Delta Plex while OCing. I'm sure if J&G can allow loaded OC, other shows can too. If every gun owner refused to go until one may actually carry a loaded firearm while attending the show, this policy would be changed immediately.
    I agree, We need to boycott gun shows that don't allow the legal carry of a pistol. How do we expect the antis to come to our way of thinking when a gun show won't?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  13. #13
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    I mourn for those that would hold their hard won rights so cheaply, that they would willingly feed at the trough of their oppressors. For those that would, I leave you with the words of a great patriot, Samuel Adams-

    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

    Or, more to the point-

    If you love to save a few dollars at some gun show better than freedom, the falsehood of one man's rules rather than standing up for your human rights, move along to another internet forum more fitting to your cowardice. Go to your oppressors, and save your dollar, and thank them for emasculating you. You are no friend of liberty and freedom; you deserve to live in fear of your government. Farewell, and don't let the door hit you in the ass!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  14. #14
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I mourn for those that would hold their hard won rights so cheaply, that they would willingly feed at the trough of their oppressors. For those that would, I leave you with the words of a great patriot, Samuel Adams-

    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

    Or, more to the point-

    If you love to save a few dollars at some gun show better than freedom, the falsehood of one man's rules rather than standing up for your human rights, move along to another internet forum more fitting to your cowardice. Go to your oppressors, and save your dollar, and thank them for emasculating you. You are no friend of liberty and freedom; you deserve to live in fear of your government. Farewell, and don't let the door hit you in the ass!
    +1
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  15. #15
    Regular Member ken243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    141
    I understand people that do not want to go to a gun show where they have to be disarmed. I don't spend money anywhere I have to be disarmed. But, that does not mean others feel the same. I just thought it would be another reason for people to come out to the lunch. Personally I will probably go walk the outlet mall after the lunch.

    Please get back on topic. Good points where raised but this post was for an event.

    If some of you are so inclined, feel free to picket the event. Maybe that would change some people's minds. If anyone would like to do that let me know. I would gladly participate.
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

  16. #16
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    I'll be there if I don't have to work or go to any family reunions.

    If I make it, I too would be happy to help picket the gun show.
    Last edited by Michigander; 11-04-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  17. #17
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I'll be there if I don't have to work or go to any family reunions.

    If I make it, I too would be happy to help picket the gun show.
    While I completely understand you guys on this, I urge you to reconsider any protest action(s) at gun shows. Why?

    The MI Legislature has already shown that they could give a rats a$$ about your rights in general. If we publicly show them that our community is as fractured as it is, you are inviting them to do even less than they have for us.

    They lump (us) in one bag: NRA, Gun Show Promoters, CCers, Hunters, OCers, etc... We start publicly going after one another (in their eyes) you might as well dump blood in a shark tank, the one you happen to be swimming in already by vertue of living in MI...

    Food for thought, or put another way - either attempt to write the menu, or be on it! These Public Servants in Lansing are far from that. You send up smoke signals, don't be upset when they pi$$ them out.

  18. #18
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    If we publicly show them that our community is as fractured as it is . . .
    We start publicly going after one another . . .
    You see Fudd gun owners or gun businesses as part of the RKBA community or one of us? I don't.

    Anyone who will sell you down the river or not allow you to carry the very wares they sell to you is not your friend, your brother, part of your community, or "one of us".

    They give aid and comfort to the enemy, if not being the very enemy themselves, and they are legitimate targets in our rules of engagement! Politically, economically, and socially speaking, of course.

    We are the sheep-dogs. Wolves in sheep-dog's clothing are still wolves. You seem to not recognize that.
    Last edited by DanM; 11-05-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  19. #19
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: Open Carry Lunch Birch Run Nov. 24th

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    While I completely understand you guys on this, I urge you to reconsider any protest action(s) at gun shows. Why?

    The MI Legislature has already shown that they could give a rats a$$ about your rights in general. If we publicly show them that our community is as fractured as it is, you are inviting them to do even less than they have for us.

    They lump (us) in one bag: NRA, Gun Show Promoters, CCers, Hunters, OCers, etc... We start publicly going after one another (in their eyes) you might as well dump blood in a shark tank, the one you happen to be swimming in already by vertue of living in MI...

    Food for thought, or put another way - either attempt to write the menu, or be on it! These Public Servants in Lansing are far from that. You send up smoke signals, don't be upset when they pi$$ them out.
    Since some shows allow carry, those that don't are the ones fracturing the community. Although I agree that, in general gun owners should not unnecessarily display division within the ranks, I think the problem is easily solved: allow carry. By not allowing carry, what it shows to antis is that even our "friends" think that allowing citizens to take personal protection in their own hands is dangerous.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  20. #20
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    You see Fudd gun owners or gun businesses as part of the RKBA community or one of us? I don't.

    Anyone who will sell you down the river or not allow you to carry the very wares they sell to you is not your friend, your brother, part of your community, or "one of us".

    They give aid and comfort to the enemy, if not being the very enemy themselves, and they are legitimate targets in our rules of engagement! Politically, economically, and socially speaking, of course.

    We are the sheep-dogs. Wolves in sheep-dog's clothing are still wolves. You seem to not recognize that.
    Dan - I thought I was clear that I was speaking as to how the legislature sees the entire gun community, they tend to lump us together in my experience. I understand the frustration. Myself Venator, CrimeDoc, CommanderIceman, Army74 and others were lucky enough to attend a OC picnic in Pontiac the summer of 2010 where a Gun show promoter went out of his way to invite us to OC at his shows. ETA - He does the shows at the VFW near Great Lakes Crossing & the ones at the Taylor Town Trade Center. So yes, the insurance ploy is just that. I do recognize wolves Dan & you & I are not them.

    P.S. I am still sore that Master Control won my pistol at the Bowling fund raiser. Hey I did win a fire extinguisher though. Viva the well armed monkey X9 with glock(s)
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 11-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Red face

    Sorry Ken243 for adding to the side-tracking of this thread. I truly hope the lunch goes well. With any luck I may be able to get back to town in the near future.

    Carry on friends - openly & safely.

  22. #22
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    Open Carry Lunch Birch Run Nov. 24th

    All,

    The OP has offered to get involved in the leadership of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. as an event coordinator. This is his first go at an event. Good volunteers are hard to come by. Please don't give him so much crap for taking time to setup an event unless you're willing to volunteer and set one up once a month yourself.

    Good volunteers are hard to come by. Please cut him some slack.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  23. #23
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Dan - I thought I was clear that I was speaking as to how the legislature sees the entire gun community, they tend to lump us together in my experience.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. Good point, and I think while battling Fudds that I would articulate as best I could why they are really hurting RKBA. If a politician is paying attention to the fight, then I would assume he's paying attention to what is being articulated. I will not stop battling the Fudds, though.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  24. #24
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    All,

    The OP has offered to get involved in the leadership of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. as an event coordinator. This is his first go at an event. Good volunteers are hard to come by. Please don't give him so much crap for taking time to setup an event unless you're willing to volunteer and set one up once a month yourself.

    Good volunteers are hard to come by. Please cut him some slack.
    By all means, go to the lunch! Didn't mean to hurt his feelings, but I still stand by the need to refuse to patronize the enemy. United we stand!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  25. #25
    Regular Member ken243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    By all means, go to the lunch! Didn't mean to hurt his feelings, but I still stand by the need to refuse to patronize the enemy. United we stand!
    No one hurt my feelings. Good points were made but the whole point of this event is a social gathering. It has been side tracked by the gun show polices.
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •